1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Bible - History Channel

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Oldtimer, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I'm really starting to dislike this. I thought they said they tried to remain true to the Book? It's more like they took creative liberties to remain true to Hollywood.

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I have only seen a couple of sections of it so far.

My reaction so far would would be "luke warm".

#42 Alive in Christ, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But of course...

And the LORD appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat at the door of his tent in the heat of the day. He lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, three men were standing in front of him. When he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them and bowed himself to the earth...
    Genesis 18:1–2 (ESV)

Jacob also met God face to face (Ge 32:30).

Rob

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Right.

It is what theologians call a theophany.

God takes on the form of something so that he can commune with mortals.

For God to take on the form of a bush or a man and and a mortal be able to look into that form without being destroyed is no contradiction to what God told Moses about no one being able to look at his "face" and live.

"face" there must mean unmitigated glory and it is certainly true that no mortal can look upon that and live.

But God can take on the form of a man with a face and a mortal be able to look upon that face with no trouble.

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Deacon & Luke2427, thank you for such a simple and elegant answer.

The answer that was given to the question was long, convoluted, and didn't make any sense to this layman's ears. With lots of 50 cent words thrown in, I wondered if this pastor actually knew the answer, himself.

Also, knew the person asking the question was equally as lost in understanding the answer being given. With much still to learn, myself, I wasn't in a position to answer with any degree of surity of the truth.

With your help, next time I see the fellow, I'll pass your wisdom along to him.

Again, thank you. Even 'oldtimers' can still learn something new everyday in God's word.

6. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Is any one still watching the series? I've seen three parts now.

Bible? History? In my opinion it is neither 'biblical' (since it does not follow the text), nor is it 'historical' (plenty of errors of historicity). Of course, I never expected it to be theologically instructive. Who did they make this series for anyway? Those that don't know the Bible probably don't care (and they certainly won't learn much); those that do know the Bible should be appalled.

For example, I don't understand why they insist on making up so much dialog when the Bible itself offers plenty of speech for their characters. But it is the fact that the series is being shown on a 'history' outlet that makes it particularly bad. Seriously, History Channel? The wise men (magi) show up at the manger scene! Very amateurish.

Most of the problems are inexcusable. I only watch because I feel obligated to be informed to correct this dissemination of misinformation.

7. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Yep....

FM...your "assessment" is correct. We are watching it for the same reasons. The sad thing is that the Biblically illiterate and uninformed may well take what they see as being accurate and true. What's even sadder is that I have seen churches in the Greenville,SC area where I live (you know...the "buckle" on the Bible Belt!) ADVERTISING this series on their marquee signs. The "dumbing down" of the church is well underway.:tear: Many of the current crop of "reality series" on TV are more factually reliable that the one that is supposed to be about the Truth, the Word of God. Whatever good intentions the producers might have had have been drowned out in a sea of inaccuracies.

Bro.Greg:saint:

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

You beat me to it. I watched the third one last night, too.

Disappointed is a mild word .............

At one time I used to read Stephen King's novels. Stopped when I realized they were taking me to places that I didn't want go. Similar reaction to "The Bible", at this point. Blood and gore. Dark. Dirty. Depressing. More blood and gore.

It's as if Stephen King chose the portions of the Bible to portray, skipping anything that portrays God's word in a positive light. Realized that when Solomon was ignored. Realized that when the birth of our Saviour had the same "dark" attributes. Realized that when Jesus was baptised and the opportunity for special effects was NOT utilized. Yet, elsewhere, plenty of special effects are used when portraying death and destruction.

Where is the balance that the "History" channel should/would have included if they weren't following their standard agenda with regards to Christian belief? From what I've seen so far, The Bible fits in nicely with "Ancient Aliens", scientific explainations of the plagues of Egypt, and other examples that continually cast doubt on our Creator.

This morning, I have very mixed emotions about watching the last 4 hours. On one hand, do I have a responsibility to watch, to have a reference point, when others ask questions about the portrayal? That's already happened. On the other hand, I did say ENOUGH is ENOUGH to Stephen King's stream of novels.

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    heard today that the producers are in trouble, as some have suggested that the 'satan" in the desert that encountered jesus looked like, and was suppossed to be president Obahma!