1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Bottom Line

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pure Words, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Pure Words

Pure Words New Member

Please answer this question, "Is there a Book which I can hold in my hand today that is God's word, perfect and without any error?"

If so where/what is it?

2. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

What do you mean by "book"? There are multiple definitions.

[ January 24, 2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Ransom ]

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Errors in text or errors in teaching?

But think about the premise of your question for a moment. For the first 100-200 years of Christianity, it is very unlikely that anyone had our 66 books collated into one volume. The mss evidence indicates that the copies of individual/groups of books all varied from each other. Yet these early Christians with their imperfectly copied, incomplete Bibles thought they had the Word of God.

Even after the canon was recognized, there is no evidence of uniformity in the copying. None of the extant mss are exactly the same. It was still quite common not to have all of the books. The hand copied early versions like the old Latin were not uniform in their text, either. Yet these Christians thought they had the Word of God.

The uniformity of wording that you make pre-requisite for the "true Word of God" was an impossibility until the advent of the printing press. Your rule says they didn't have the Word of God... but the orthodox view of scripture says they did.

4. Pure Words

Pure Words New Member

Are you serious? [​IMG]

Maybe you can enlighten me to these several definitions...

5. Pure Words

Pure Words New Member

hmmmmmmmm. Why is no one answering this question?

Let me help you. (I am just a nice guy like that ;) )

There are actually two questions.

1) Is there a Book I can hold in my hand TODAY which is God's words perfect and without error?

>>YES or NO are the only answers to this question.

2) Where/what is it.

>>If you answer YES to question #1, the answer to this is narrative.

6. BrianT

BrianT New Member

The KJV! And only the KJV! Praise God I live in a time where scripture was CULMINATED (highest point, best) and not a time where man only had imperfect, lying 'bibles'. I'm glad I live in the 20% of church history where Psalm 12:6-7 wasn't an outright LIE! Poor medieval saps!

7. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

8. The Harvest

The Harvest New Member

Errors in text or errors in teaching?

But think about the premise of your question for a moment. For the first 100-200 years of Christianity, it is very unlikely that anyone had our 66 books collated into one volume. The mss evidence indicates that the copies of individual/groups of books all varied from each other. Yet these early Christians with their imperfectly copied, incomplete Bibles thought they had the Word of God.

Even after the canon was recognized, there is no evidence of uniformity in the copying. None of the extant mss are exactly the same. It was still quite common not to have all of the books. The hand copied early versions like the old Latin were not uniform in their text, either. Yet these Christians thought they had the Word of God.

The uniformity of wording that you make pre-requisite for the "true Word of God" was an impossibility until the advent of the printing press. Your rule says they didn't have the Word of God... but the orthodox view of scripture says they did.
    </font>[/QUOTE]HELLO? MCFLY? What year is this? Answer the question! Quit talking about history. Talk about now! The question is "Is there a Book which I can hold in my hand today that is God's word, perfect and without any error?"

9. Pure Words

Pure Words New Member

Is this definition acceptable?

Now answer the question!

[​IMG]

10. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Pure Words said:

Is this definition acceptable?

Now answer the question!

The question was: "Is there a Book which I can hold in my hand today that is God's word, perfect and without any error? If so where/what is it?

In accordance with your definition of "book," the answer is "Yes," and "Right here." Give me money, and maybe I'll let you see it.

[ January 24, 2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Ransom ]

11. Shqippy

Shqippy New Member

If you have a copy of God's perfect ledger, that would be something to see. [​IMG]

12. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

If you have a copy of God's perfect ledger, that would be something to see.

It would indeed. What's it worth to you?

13. The Harvest

The Harvest New Member

ransom, what's the matter? now you are changing the subject. can't find an answer huh?

14. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

The Harvest asked:

can't find an answer huh?

How is "yes" not a direct answer to "Does a book containing the perfect word of God exist?"

How is "right here" not a direct answer to "If so, where/what is it?" (I affirmed "where.")

15. The Harvest

The Harvest New Member

OK so you have God's ledger. Congratulations. It's amazing that you just keep proving your ignorance over and over again. I would think eventually you could pull your energy together and come up with something intelligent to say, but I guess not.

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

The KJV, NASB, and NKJV are the translations of God's perfect, inerrant Word that I use and endorse. Others may be fine but these are the translations I trust.

... and yes they have different wording... but then again they all have the complete book of Revelation which none of Erasmus' texts had... you know, the ones he used to create the first TR edition.

17. The Harvest

The Harvest New Member

hey ransom, you could learn something from Scotty. i may not agree with his answer, but at least he can answer the question honestly instead of coming up with nonsense answers.

18. Pure Words

Pure Words New Member

Thank you for your direct answer. What exactly is this, "inerrant Word that [you] use and endorse?"

I also appreciate your comment about Erasmus' TR. I am so confounded when men say they are KJB becuase it comes from THE TR. There is no "THE" TR. It is hundreds/thousands of different versions/manuscripts of greek texts.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Try Het Bijble.

It's the Bible in Dutch. If you don't like that, try La Biblia. If you don't think a Dutch, German, Italian, or Spanish bible would be the inspired word of God, you have no business doing the same with a KJV copy, either.

20. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Someone better tell Ruckman:

"The TR says ‘Sabbaths’ in Matthew 28:1" (Ruckman, Bible Believer’s Bulletin, p. 13).

He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about, there's no such thing as the TR. Even if there was, it would not be the word of God because it would have "pascha" in Acts 12:4, which is a LIE.