1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Canon of Scripture

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by quantumfaith, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what i ewas saying was that what later become officially recognised as the NT canon was alread pretty much being circulated around the local churches and was received as inspired texts, and the copying process was already well under way with a few decades of the early second century...

the so cally Church fathers of the second century could quote and referencre essentially parts of the canon even at that time, and if you where to piece together all the various times the NT books were used as a reference, would be able to assemblr the canon pretty much save for handul "disputed books!"

So the catholic Council did NOT give us the canon, but had it "officially ratiifed!" as the churches had already before than pretty much agreed what there were!

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The canon was formalized at the Synod of Carthage in AD 397. Almost everyone agrees on that I believe. :)

3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

That's certainly the way it turned out, and that may have been one of the criteria. But who set out the criteria for inclusion?

PreachinJesus, you seem to be really up on this. Are there any ancient writings, council proceedings or otherwise, that set forth the criteria for canonization? I ask because I have seen these lists of criteria, often in bibles, but no one ever cites to the source. I get the impression these criteria were made up by modern commentators who have observed certain patterns throughout the N.T. canon.

#23 Zenas, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2013