1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Catholics are not lost

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Darren, May 19, 2008.

1. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Sorry, but it's not I that you see on a Catholic Board, maybe some Orthodox boards, but under a different screen name.

I came up with my screen name as I was splashing around in the Tiber, but would like to change it...

InXC
    -

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This sort of popped out at me.

Those in heaven are not one bit more righteous than those of us on earth who have placed our faith in Jesus Christ.

Because.....all believers, whether on earth or in heaven, have been justified by the blood of Christ and now have the righteousness of Christ, which is why all believers can go boldly before the throne of God.

I, Amy, can and do go boldly before God each day because when God looks at me, he sees the righteousness of Christ. There is no other high priest except Him and He is my personal and only intercessor.

Jesus taught that we should pray for one another, which is why we do. It's not for His sake that we do it, but for our own. It is one of God's ways that teaches us to focus on Him first, and others second.

3. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Oh dear...where to start...:confused:

InXC
    -

4. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Amy, up until now I agreed with what you were saying.

We are only righteous in spirit. In the flesh we are still dirty rotten sinners...but we are now forgiven sinners. I go to God in prayer each day too...but not boldly, I go humbly. When I either die or am raptured, then I will leave this fleshly body behind, and then all that will be left is the righteousness of Christ, and then, only then can I go boldly before the throne.

How do you go to the throne in the flesh anyway? The white throne judgement hasnt happened yet.

AJ

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

As a believer in Christ I will never appear at the Great White Throne Judgement.
    As a believer in Christ I come boldly before the throne of God.

Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

We don't go before the throne in the flesh, because.......

Jhn 4:24 God [is] Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."

7. Whowillgo

Whowillgo Member
    Site Supporter

AD, I cannot tell from your responses whether you really believe what you say or whether you simply say things. What I can tell is that you have a lot of confusion in your life over what you believe. You have a good vocabulary and much superficial knowledge but you do not understand Catholic or even to a great extent Orthodox doctrine, arguement and debate do not enhance understanding . I truly will pray that you take the time to stop seeking the ultimate denomination and seek the ultimate savior.

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I just checked your profile on the Catholic Community Forum. You only made 2 posts in 2 years, so maybe you had forgotten you joined.

This Agnus-Dei is also 37, an uncomfortable protestant, and a mechanical designer. Do you have an identical twin? :)

To change your profile...go to 'User CP' at the top of each page, click on it and a small screen will come down. Click on 'Change Profile'. Don't forget to hit 'save' before you leave your new profile.

9. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Agnus,

"Originally Posted by Amy.G....

And you said...

How bout by believing and accepting that great truth? Thats usually the best place to start.

From Romans...

This is the doctrine of imputed rightiousness. God knows that we can never be rightious in and of ourselves, so in His great provision...along with so many other blessings...He has imputed the rightiousness of Jesus Christ....to us...

What a great God we serve! \o/

Mike

10. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

#111 DHK, May 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2008
  12. D28guy

D28guy New Member

ajg,

We are completly rightious in Gods eyes because of Christs rightiousness being imputed to us. Your inlaws are certainly in error if they think that their flesh is completely rightious. That will never occur in this life.

The Pentecostal and Charismatic branches of Christianity have much to offer the Body of Christ. They certainly offer some truths and gifts that other branches mistakenly dismiss.

But the pentecostal/charismatic branch of christianity has its excesses and errors just like all the other branchs. Your inlaws seem to be caught up in one of the excesses.

God bless,

Mike

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All Roman Catholics who do not renounce their 'Catholic faith', are lost, I believe. I cannot see how Christ would have shed his blood as excuse for and as object of idolatry, one reason for example.

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK
    "Coming boldly before the throne of grace is the NT privilege that the OT saints did not have. "

GE
    You are a Baptist, are you not, DHK?
    I cannot believe my eyes!
    You tell me how Adam and Eve managed after their fall; how Able found favour in the eyes of God; how Enoch walked with God, etc. etc until every saint of OT times has been mentioned. While I would not have hesitated to say it to any other person in this big world, gave he me your talk, I say it to you: This is an abominal claim!

15. standingfirminChrist

We have access to the throne of Grace because of the shed blood of Jesus Christ. The Old Testament saints did not have access to that throne. They were visited upon by the angel of the Lord, God, or the Holy Spirit but never had true access to the throne as we do today. DHK has not made an abominable claim. He gave Scripture that clearly says because of the shedding of Christ's blood, we have access.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Believe it GE. And study the Word.
    From Adam onward, all men needed a blood sacrifice in order to approach God.
    Abel brought a "proper sacrifice" acceptable to God. It was a "blood sacrifice," of his own flocks.
    But Cain did not do so. He brought of his own field--wheat, or other grains.
    It was not acceptable in God's sight. Cain was upset and ended up killing Abel.
    In order for man to approach God in OT times they had to come to God through a blood sacrifice.

Christ is our sacrifice. He was sacrificed once for all. There remains no more sacrifice for sins. Therefore we can come boldly before the throne of grace, whereas before the cross believers could not.

17. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And the Lutheran signatories of the Joint Declaration would agree with that, as I said above, as would most thoughtful Protestants, if they paused and thought about it. Otherwise you're back to the scenario wherein all you have to do is 'pray the Sinner's Prayer', respond to an altar call, 'invite Jesus into your life', 'accept Him as your personal Saviour' or however you want to describe it, as a one-off event, and then go back to the heroin and hookers and everything's hunky-dory.

I don't think so...

18. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It certainly doesn't if you hang your entire soteriology on a word which doesn't exist in Scripture

'Cept for one little thing: the word 'alone' ain't there. Why are you quoting, nay capitalising, a word that isn't there, and then basing your soteriology upon this absentee word??! I find that somewhat bizarre to say the least....

Hardly. Otherwise James has got it wrong, hasn't he? So has Paul elsewhere in the Pauline passages Agnus cited. So, of course, has Jesus in Matt 24. Guess He didn't get your memo....On reflection, as a follower of Jesus Christ, I'd rather trust His words than the opinions of men

19. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

20. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

This may be true, but no Bible believer would agree with that, since the Bible teaches otherwise.

No you are not. You are clear misunderstanding the biblical doctrine of sola fide. This is the type of stuff that makes conversation very difficult. The attempt to paint sola fide against antinomianistic unbelief is a false dichotomy. There is a third option, namely, biblical salvation through true saving faith.

Matt, have you read Sproul's Faith Alone?