1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Crux of Keeping the Sabbath Day Contention

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Hark, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Alright, your Jesus is your sabbath and your sabbath is your Jesus.
    NOT MINE!

Some good advice for you, The New Covenant requires you to stop working to seek justification for yourself in keeping the sabbath day for your Jesus or in keeping your Jesus for your sabbath day.

2. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point here is that you ARE His people. You are His.

You can rest in Jesus that you are saved.

What is required from the Lord is to live that reconciled relationship through Jesus Christ as His disciple in seeking His glory, and not the glory as a sabbath day keeper. It is by Him, we love others, even our enemies.

3. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is because I am saved that I no longer seek to keep the sabbath day to save myself.

I seek His face to help me to follow Him as His disciple by loving others and telling the Good News to men.

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Therefore those who believe every word and act of God's speaking for his Church, are not saved because they seek eating and drinking of Sabbaths' Feast OF CHRIST THE SUBSTANCE, to save themselves. they don't seek His face to help them to follow Him as His disciples by starting with the household of God the Congregation of True Believers "holding to the Head nourishment being ministered, all the Body (of Christ’s Own 1:18) by joints and bands [of faith 2:12 Hosea 11:4; peace Ephesians 4:3; and charity Colossians 3:14], and knit together (in love 2:2), growing with the growth of God."

Hark, says God's Word, "Let no man not holding to the Head [but] puffed up by his fleshly mind, who conceitedly meddles in what he knows nothing about (the mystery which is Christ 1:28), with his pretentious humility and angelic worship beguile you (with enticing words 2:4) of your reward."

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Again, beguiling words intended to beguile True Believers of Sabbaths’ Feast of Christ of their reward.
    The point here made really is that we are NOT His people. We are cut off from Christ.
    Because Jesus gave us rest and there therefore for us the People of God, remains a Sabbath’s-rest Christ having entered into his own rest as God in his own HAVING RESURRECTED FROM THE DEAD ON THE SABBATH. THEREFORE we cannot, may not, dare not rest in Jesus Sabbaths’ feasting because we are not saved.
    What we as Sabbaths’ Feast of Christ Home Assemblies lack from the Lord is the reconciled relationship through Jesus Christ as His disciples in seeking His glory, because of what and who we are : believers of the Sabbath the Lord’s Day. As Sabbath Day believers we do not seek God’s glory but our own. We don’t love Him or others, or our enemies—all because we confess the Scriptures written for the edification of the Body of Christ’s Own including words which are Christ’s life, words which are words and deeds of God on the Sabbath Day, “God THUS HAVING SPOKEN concerning the Seventh Day”, the all-exceeding greatness of His Power when He RAISED CHRIST FROM THE DEAD “IN SABBATH’S TIME”.
    Piecrust!

#65 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    . . . and that Roman Catholic candle . . . it's suffocating ---hyperdulia!

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Westminster Confession of Faith concerning the Sabbath (Christian Sabbath)

VII. As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God; so, in His Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment, binding all men, in all ages, He hath particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto Him: which, from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week; and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week, which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's Day, and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.

VIII. This Sabbath is then kept holy unto the Lord, when men, after a due preparing of their hearts. and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest, all the day, from their own works, words, and thoughts about their worldly employments, and recreations, but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of His worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy

A Question Gerhard:
    Do you adhere, at least in principle, with what is written here?
    do not only observe an holy rest, all the day, from their own works, words, and thoughts about their worldly employments, and recreations, but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of His worship,
    --Is the entirety of your day taken up in the worship of the Lord, without any secular activity whatsoever?

8. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation is a free gift of God so you can tell others that Christ is the Savior because He did save you when you had first believed in Him.

Now whether or not a saved believer is abiding in Him as His disciples is another matter, but I assure you, that fourth commandment does not fall under His commandments in being His disciples of the New Testament.

You are free to honor Him on the sabbath day, but don't do it if you believe that is what saves you, because that is the same thing as denying Jesus has saved you when you had believed in Him.

9. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not Catholic, brother Gerhard.

And as for my candle avatar, the candle light in my avatar is representing what Christ has done for me.

Not every candle is a Catholic one. Even if there was such a thing as a Catholic candle, not sure how you or anyone can tell a Catholic candle from a regular candle other than just being used in a Catholic church.

John 8:Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

John 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

Philippians 2:15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How much have you seen me on this forum writing about my keeping of the Sabbath, and how much have you seen me writing on this forum about God's keeping of the Sabbath through the Son of Man?

But every time you put your pen to paper in discussion with me, it's about my keeping the Sabbath.

PS
    I received my freedom from the God whose Law even in written form is the Law of freedom. I am "~free to honor Him on the sabbath day~" not because you gave me permission. Colossians 2:18.

Sunday holiness is the mother of audacity.

#70 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  11. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you believe God is helping you keep the sabbath day, then why are you not teaching other believers that God will help them keep the sabbath day too?

But you are not. All you are doing is judging believers for failing to keep the sabbath day, and by doing that, you are judging God for not helping them keep the sabbath day.

When it comes to sin, I point believers to go to Jesus to ask for forgiveness and for help not to sin again.

If you believe the sabbath day is to be kept under the New Covenant, then does that also include the death penalty on all believers for not keeping the sabbath day which is death by stoning?

That aspect of the fourth commandment is to be practiced by sabbath day keepers if you expect any one to fear God in not breaking the fourth commandment.

But as severe as that is with everything concerning the fourth commandment, you do NOT see it as taught as anything important in the church practice to maintain anywhere in the N.T.

You keep reading the fourth commandment into the N.T. scripture where there is none, and you exalt yourself over other believers as if that makes you better than those believers that do not keep the sabbath day because they have not been taught to keep the sabbath day... not now.. nor in the N.T.

You are paddling up a creek with no oars when trying to convince others that keeping the sabbath day was taught plainly to the churches in the N.T.

But still you judge. Not cool, brother.

I say that because I believe Christ gives you permission since you are His, but you are having trouble receiving that truth from Him.

There you go again. It is not keeping Sunday as a holy day or the sabbath day as a holy day as if that what makes you holy.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Romans 11:16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.

Jesus has made you holy all by Himself. Believe Him.

To not believe Him is to insult Him as if He could not make you holy Himself that you need to keep the sabbath day too.

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Please have the last word; I couldn’t have hoped to improve on your self-explanatory concluding statement.

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The crux of "~keeping the Sabbath~" is "the LORD on the Seventh Day rested and was revived" in Christ Jesus "in the end-purpose of the Sabbath Day" Exodus 31:17 Matthew 28:1

#73 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is no command for the Gentile believer in the NT to keep the Sabbath, any kind of Sabbath--Jewish Sabbath, Christian Sabbath, Baptist Sabbath, Muslim Sabbath, Catholic Sabbath, etc. There is no command in the Bible for any NT believer to keep the Sabbath.
    Furthermore there is no direction on "how to keep the Sabbath except in the OT. Most people just hypocritically say they are keeping the Sabbath just because they go to church on whatever day they consider the Sabbath to be. But that is not keeping the Sabbath. Keeping the Sabbath is much more involved than that. It is a complete cessation from all work, if you are going to keep it--even to the point where one would avoid the use of electricity, natural gas or fuel of any kind for those 24 hours. One would follow the instructions of the OT and apply them to our day today if they were to be consistent.

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Oh, there is "~direction on "how to keep the Sabbath~" ” in the NT far better than in the OT. In the OT it was stern warning like to not gather wood or make a fire on the Sabbath. In the NT Jesus gave the Law that you must let your ox drink water on the Sabbath and rescue your colt out of the pit on the Sabbath and let your followers feast on eating the seed of your cornfields free and rejoicing. And many more such ACTUAL orders spoken and illustrated by the LORD of the Sabbath Himself. WHY? Not because He intended commandments concerning the observance of the Sabbath by his followers as such, but that they might SEE HIM through the God-given gift of “the Sabbath : of : the LORD YOUR GOD” ---“your”---God in Christ’s followers or disciples or “People-of-God”. WHY? “because Jesus gave them rest”—gave them HIMSELF and —“therefore let (them) Sabbaths’ Feast of CHRIST THE SUBSTANCE”.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Perhaps not as clear as you think.
    So how specifically do you observe the Sabbath?

17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I ~observe the Sabbath~ in the Scriptures revealed in, through, and by Jesus Christ "the Son of Man Who keeps the Sabbath ... The Man that does this ... that CLAIMS the Sabbath, lays HOLD on it (the Son of Man Lord of the Sabbath), that keeps and guards the Sabbath from being polluted and whose hand protects it from evil being done to it."

Says the Son of Man concerning Himself in the same Scripture, "The LORD has utterly separated Me from the people”. The same Scripture, again, says of Him, “the Son of the stranger” was He among the people, therefore, “He Joined Himself to the LORD”! Being joined to the LORD the Son of Man shall “keep judgment and do justice”, thus: “When ye come to appear before Me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts? Bring no more vain oblations; insense is an abomination unto Me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies—I cannot away with! it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting. Your, new moons and your, appointed feasts my, soul hateth; they are a trouble unto Me; I am weary to bear them. And when ye, spread forth your hands, I, will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye, make many prayers, I, will not hear you: your hands are full of (…my…) blood.”

That is from the OLD Testament, as you know, DHK!
    Now what made you think that I keep the Sabbath? The Sabbath is “the Sabbath OF THE LORD” and has always, been HIS, to keep. Which He did, in Jesus Christ, so that “Jesus gave them rest … and that therefore for the People of God keeping of the Sabbath Day’s rest, remains their obligation” -- towards God and his Christ.

Has man ever kept one obligation towards God? Never, except The Son of Man Jesus Christ, who kept every obligation towards God “for man”. That’s why God “made the Sabbath for man”.

I do not keep the Lord’s Day; He is its Keeper and Lord Protector. I only ~observe~ “God thus concerning” the Sabbath “spake” in his Word--- “the Word of God quick and powerful and sharper than a two-edged sword (Old and New Testaments) piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit (indivisible) and of the joints and marrow (enclosed together)--- the “Word of God Discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (indifferent).”

The untrustworthiness of man does not cancel out the faithfulness of God -- of God having kept Word in Christ .

#77 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

But how? In what kind of practice? Just a stroll through the park? What do you do that demonstrates you are keeping the Sabbath?

I don't want all your theology from the OT. I want what you do. What do you do on the Sabbath. You say you keep it. How? Demonstrate to the rest of us how you keep the Sabbath? Do you just stay home and read your Bible? Do you watch televangelists on TV? What do you do that defines "keeping the Sabbath"? or "observing the Sabbath" or whatever you call it?
    So you don't keep the Sabbath. Christ keeps the Sabbath for you. How does that work?
    What do you do? Play cricket?

19. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

No, since Hansie Cronje I never watched cricket again. I watch rugby . . .

DHK, you don't even read what I say. I never claimed that I keep the Sabbath. I have always answered you, Jesus kept the Sabbath and is its Keeper to this day and forevermore the same.

You don't give a dime I protested "the day The Seventh Day is Sabbath OF : THE LORD GOD" and "the Lord (Jesus') Day", "for to this end Christ both died and ROSE AND REVIVED THAT : HE : might be : LORD".

That is NT ~theology~, DHK; Paul's to be exact.

The Sabbath BECAUSE Christ on it rose from the dead received "Lordly" status as day of its Victor's "Lordly" victory : ‘Kuriakee Heemera’ —who Himself received LORDSHIP BECAUSE of his “Lordly” Victory – “the LORD is a Man of War : the LORD TRIUMPHED gloriously.” … from “the Song of Moses and OF THE LAMB”. Throughout the Scriptures the same glorious Theme of Christ’s Victory over the Last Enemy, Death.

Please, DHK, do not expect me to talk about myself or about my keeping of the Sabbath while absorbed in the overwhelming observing and worship of the greatness of His Heavenly Majesty’s Excellencies where God exalted Christ at his own right hand WHEN HE RAISED HIM FROM THE DEAD.

#79 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  20. vooks

vooks Active Member

Jesus Christ resurrected the THIRD DAY and we know the THIRD day is the day after tomorrow. We also know Sunday was the THIRD day since he died.

He resurrected on Sunday. Scriptures prove it, history prove it, but the spiritually blind can't see it even if it smacked them in the face

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.