1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Dream Act

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by pinoybaptist, Aug 3, 2007.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can Two Kids Alter Immigration Law ?

My heart goes out to these kids, and I have nothing but admiration for their friends. They are great friends.
    But they were not born in this country, and while they definitely will be assets to this country considering their intelligence, the law says they have to go with their parents.

If they do go, then I pray they be assets to Colombia.

Of course, it would be best if they could find a legal way to come back to the States, since for all practical purposes, they are more Americans than Colombians.

What do you think ?

2. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

This is one of those instances that remind us that immigrants--even illegal ones--are PEOPLE, even if they started out as lawbreakers in their entry to this country. And it serves to remind that this is a delicate issue, with many facets, and there's no way that whatever legislation is/is not passed will be the "best or right thing" in every situation.

A couple of other points: I agree these kids helping are great friends. They have taken a reasoned and sensible approach to a difficult problem. AND they are pleading the case of a "condemned man" and begging for mercy. It is SO refreshing to see THIS in the news (even if you don't agree with their stance), rather than endless babblings about Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan--FINALLY--young people with substance make the news!!!

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right, Hopeful. About even illegal immigrants being people.
    But the law can be, is, impersonal, most times.
    I saw these crusaders interviewed on tv, and let me tell you, even electronically their enthusiasm, determination and conviction were contagious.
    I found myself rooting for them.

4. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

When I see stories of youth doing something like this--especially of this magnitude--I just want to shout for joy and praise God that all "kids" aren't like the ones we see talked about the most in the news.....of course, I'm QUITE sure my mom and dad felt the same way as I was growing up....we always want to hold out hope for the rising generation....believers or no.