1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Early Church on Speaking In Tongues

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by the68, Apr 4, 2014.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to revise this statement. I was checking out Charismatism: Awakening or Apostasy?, by O. Talmadge Spence (a former Pentecostal preacher), and he gives quotes from Synan gushing like a teenage girl over Catholic Charismatics. So Synan can only be read as a full-fledged defender of all the excesses of the movement.

#41 John of Japan, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a sad bit of news...

.... and it shows that those who came in and tried to use the gift to bring about divisiveness were not using the gift as intended. NO Gift should ever cause division among the body! If people came in and used this git wrong, they were not using the gift as God intended.

There is no need to utilize tongues in a worship service, especially if the church is not for it. And for people to come in and use that gift, knowing it is not acceptable, is a sinful and disrespectful use of the gift, and they should be removed, and treated as heretics.

P_n_S and myself use our gift for private prayer, It would be wrong to go into a church that does not practice or hold to the gift of tongues for any reason, to speak and cause others to stumble!

It is clear you were doing as you were told to do, and I pray that this never happenes again. If it does, please do not hold their rude, sinful attempts to push tongues as how others use the gift. Most of us are quite responsible, and that in itself, is Biblical!

Again, sorry you had a bad experience, not once but three times! :tear:

3. the68

the68 New Member

In your initial post, you stated;

You then stated rather definitively;

... when I intended and still do not intend to promote anything. Again, my intention is to gather information and opinions concerning the early church's position on this topic as well as information concerning historical instances related to glossolalia and speaking in tongues prior to 1906 (Charismatic or not, and that would include protestations to heretical instances from the same time period in which they were claimed to have taken place; using the Stone-Campbell Revival that plain_n_simple put forth as an example, I would like to see "cessationist" protestations to the revival as long as they originated from the same time period in which it took place). Again, nowhere did I attempt to promote any teaching whatsoever. The very nature of my OP and subsequent posts were inquisitive, not expository.

You presumed this even though I stated time and time again my reasoning for not wanting this thread to deteriorate into a cessation debate. You didn't consider those assertions and charged otherwise.

This is exactly how I felt when you rather definitively presumed the aforementioned about my intentions right off the bat rather than looking or asking for clarification when my initial post seemed equivocal to you. Given your above contributions to this thread I could have immediately dismissed you as too negative to bother with as well, but I don't feel that such a disposition is conductive to the purpose of a discussion board. I'll wait no more on your personal response as I fully understand why you would not wish to create one.

There is a marked difference in the statements "his study is geared to support x" and "his study leaves room for the possibility of x". To which do you subscribe?

When someone says "seems" or "as I understand it", they do usually mean it as a disclaimer. Please don't presume that I use such terminologies inadvertently. I do appreciate your following explication!

I am still not seeing where Sullivan has defended gobbledy-gook (in which I assume you are referring to glossolalia (so-called heavenly/private prayer languages) and not Biblical tongues [known languages]). He holds that modern glossolalia was a result of the Pentecostal movement having to choose between discrediting itself and fudging the original Pentecostal understanding (which in and of itself seems to have been in violation of 1900 years of precedence) following the late 19th/early 20th century missions crisis. Were I a practitioner of glossolalia I would find this offensive to, not defensive of, my beliefs.

In this I tend to agree with you. Charismatics in my experience are capable of stretching Biblical semantics to make a case that is rather frustrating and confusing to argue against (as I've seen time and time again in my lurking on this and other boards). I seldom see an appeal to history on either side and the debate usually devolves into a dispute over the semantics of individual words and letters. Thus my interest in this topic and Sullivan's assertion that glossolalic dogma was not formulated until the late 19th century. Here's my contention; arguing via an appeal to history avoids the scriptural semantics spat which is really the only thing I've seen the Charismatic movement appeal to for the basis of their theological positions (other than experience) likely thus the shortage of genuine scholastic information that John of Japan pointed out.

I am curious to see where Sullivan has stated that tongues is not a "dead gift" as I have not seen him indicate such.

I lean in this direction but consider myself to be not quite learned enough on cessationist dogma to adhere to it completely. I will state again; regardless of my hesitance to fully accept cessationism at this point I do hold that if (IF) tongues are still legitimately in operation today, they must be tongues of known human origin because that is what its Biblical purpose and 1900 years of precedence indicate to be the truth. This is in no way kowtowing to classical Charismatic nor cessationist doctrine. In fact, the argument counters popular Charismatic doctrine without strictly adhering to a cessationist standpoint which is where I stand now in my own convictions. I'm perfectly fine with you believing this to be unbiblical thinking. Perhaps it is indeed. I am a fallible human being and am not about to accept a particular ideology just because someone else thinks it is right and tells me I should as well. I am in the process of formulating my own conclusion concerning the topic thus my interest. Rest assured that I get the same admonition of unbiblicality from individuals who hold to Charismatic doctrine. I reiterate, Please do not respond here with the typical cessationist or Charismatic dogma. Anyone may feel perfectly free to write me a personal message concerning their position on cessationism and the like (I would appreciate it!) but classical debate of these topics is not the intended purpose of this thread.

I am glad to see that you are at least reviewing his works for the sake of this discussion. This is the kind of input I am looking for. I also reviewed this section of his project and can empathize with your contention. I will be conversing with Mr. Sullivan in the near future to determine if he does hold to the point you believe he is trying to prove. Concerning Sullivan's work on Origen; if you have any sources, examples or information supporting your disagreement with his conclusions (such as writers who came to different conclusions) I would very much appreciate them.

Perhaps this post will help to clear up some of your concerns. I do realize that the lack of forgiveness in my last PM may be at fault at this point. The absence of forgiveness in my response to your last PM is a result of my predisposition concerning apology. "I'm sorry, but..." does not usually fit the criterion for a worthy apology but is rather a common societal courtesy that I find to be quite patronizing. Reading back over your response to my PM I realize that you may not have meant to patronize my message to you. I do apologize for the presumptuous and judgmental nature of my response and I ask that you would forgive me.

Thanks for the very useful input, John of Japan. I'll be looking further into Synan's works as another basis for my understanding of Charismatic thought.

#43 the68, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your post. I'm glad to know you would never do this. If people want to speak in private, personal tongues I certainly can't control that. But the problem with the Charismatic movement in general is that it started not in the Pentecostal churches per se, but as an ecumenical movement with the goal of bringing non-tongues churches into the tongues camp.

So I disagree that most tongues-speakers are harmless. There is a breed like you and P-n-s who keep things private, but by and large Charismatics try to spread their tongues and teach that it tongues are normative for Christians. That is dead wrong. And every single contact in Japan with tongues speakers that I've had have been those who "evangelize" their tongues, including the three with my own church people:

First time: two of my men, twins, went to a tongues prayer meeting in another church and were persuaded that our church was wrong.

Second time: tongues speakers moved next door to my leading believers (a couple), and tried to teach them tongues. Fortunately we came home from furlough just in time to nip it in the bud.

Third time: a couple who came to our English service just for the English, and were thus not members of our church or even attenders at our morning service, baptized a whole family in their bathtub and taught them tongues. I had been working with this family for years, saved their marriage through counseling, saw their two kids profess Christ. We lost them.

Witness for Christ. Don't witness for tongues. Don't try to teach your tongues to others, even here on the BB; don't try to say tongues are for everyone; don't try to say that tongues are more spiritual than non-tongues. All of these approaches and views split churches.

5. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As with Paul, preaching the cross and the love of God is and will always be the focal point of the church! I am aware of what youo are talking about. Pentecostals are not out to change the world to their way or the highway. But on the other hand, Charismatics are the root of the problem.

I have had my dealings with these folks. From name it claim its, to prosperity teaching, and I have spent a lot of my ministry in helping those hurt by these people, to come back to the REAL Christ of the cross!

The ecumenical movement has been at the heart of many errors being taught world wide, and I think it is causing large numbers of believers to walk away from the church because of their rigid teachings and demands!

I once was involved with a charismatic church, and I left when they put the guilt trip on me for not being healed as a result of me having a Deep seated sin that needed to be confessed. I also got tired of hearing them come up and say, "God told me to tell you, such and such!" First of all, not everyone is going to be healed in this world, and that is okay, because true healing comes when we reach heaven. Like Paul, His grace and strength is MORE than sufficient!

Secondly, if God wants to tell me something, He surely didn't need some fanantical mouth piece putting their arm around my shoulders, and work to make me more like them and less like what the potter has molded me to be!

You have tough John, and know you are right. These folks may mean well, but there are going to be many well meaning, good intentioned folks in hell! Any movement of God that forces another to be just like the rest of the bretheran, is not the church of God but more or less, a brain washing cult!

God bless.:thumbs:

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

With a change of a few specifics I could tell the same story. The 'Christian gossip' was once that we were the church that didn't believe in the Holy Spirit.

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

the68 ...

We could go back and forth affirming or denying what I've said for eternity, but I don't want to engage in that kind of six-year-old's methodology of argument: "Yes, you did," "No I didn't but he did," etc., etc., ad infinitum. I'm not interested in the research of tongues anymore. I've exhausted my interest in it long ago, having reached the conclusion through many, many studies, articles and commentaries that led me to my stance today: Tongues of any kind, known or unknown languages, died out near the end of the First Century and it is an unbiblical practice today, even if undertaken as Paul prescribed to the Corinthians 1,952 years ago, give or take a year or two.

I've read Sullivan extensively, not just online. His research and scholarship on the subject is impressive and prolific. It is his life's passion. But, in my opinion, he comes to erroneous conclusions. You've read his take on unknown languages only, at least that is what I gather from what you've posted and said. Branch out. Read more. What I've expressed to this point is my recollection of his work, and I don't care to reenter into research of him or anyone else on the subject. The subject is of no interest, beyond occasionally discussing it with those who may have a mistaken concept of the dead gift. Thanks.

#47 thisnumbersdisconnected, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  8. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

19th century – Edward Irving and the Catholic Apostolic Church. Edward Irving, a minister in the Church of Scotland, writes of a woman who would "speak at great length, and with superhuman strength, in an unknown tongue, to the great astonishment of all who heard, and to her own great edification and enjoyment in God". Irving further stated that "tongues are a great instrument for personal edification, however mysterious it may seem to us."

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "early" church is not in the 1800's. That is an erroneous use of that term.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What ungodly garbage.

11. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Rev, the person wanted this info as pre 1906, read prior posts. It is not a debate but for the68's reference info only.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh excuse me but the phrase "early" church has been used several times in this thread. Place "pre 1906" before it only makes it more wrong. The 1800's is not the early church.

And if you do not want debate then you need to post somewhere else other than this "debate" forum. There are places down below for such discussions.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to know you got out of that unholy mess.

I believe it is no accident that Christ specifically teaches that some folk who are extremely similar to many in the modern Charismatic movement will face eternal punishment (Matt. 7:21-23).

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The idea that a Baptist doesn't believe in the Holy Spirit is ridiculous. And our sad stories are repeated all over the world. The Charismatic "renewal" is doing awful damage to the churches of Jesus Christ.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the OP does mention the late 1800s, I feel free to make this post. Down through the years up until (and including in my mind) the "Azusa Street Revival," every group that has spoken in tongues has been aberrant and weird and even heretical, beginning with pagan religions in the 1st century. Note the following groups mentioned by O. Talmadge Spence (who was from a leading Pentecostal family) in his book Charismatism: Awakening or Apostasy?--

The Montanists in the 2nd century had prophetesses who were leaders. Spence quotes Charles Smith (Tongues in Biblical Perspective, pp. 13-14) about one of them: "she 'in an ecstasy of the spirit...conversed with angels, and, sometimes with the Lord Himself" (p. 57).

"Celcius reported that among the Gnostics there was some form of ecstatic utterances around 180 A. D." (ibid).

The "Cevenol prophets" had prophetic tongues in the 1600s (ibid). They were Catholic priests and thus by definition taught works salvation and worshiped Mary.

Some Protestants in France after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes claimed the gifts of prophecy and tongues (ibid). Spence gave no more information.

The Catholic Jansenists in the 1700s spoke in tongues (ibid). Again, they taught works salvation and worshiped Mary. Elsewhere in his book (p. 35) Spence quotes Synan as saying about the Catholic Charismatics that well, yes, they worshiped Mary and emphasized theso forth but they'd grow out of it.

In 1776 the Shakers were founded who spoke in tongues (ibid). They had too many heresies and immoral practices to list in this post.

In the 1800s came the Irvingites (pp. 57-58). Mary Campbell, the first of them to speak in tongues, later revealed that she had lied and faked it.

Surprisingly to me the Mormons speak in tongues. This is a dirty little secret among tongues speakers. "In the 1800s the Mormons commenced their movement. They have always held to tongue-speaking as a phenomenon; and when the Salt Lake City Temple was dedicated, hundreds of elders are said to have spoken in tongues. It is perpetuated and revered that Brigham Young prayed in the "pure Adamic language" (Spence, p. 58).

Now I ask you, why is tongues supposed to be so spiritual and good if the Catholics and cults do it along with some of the most bizarre groups in church history? We could go on with many other groups in the 20th and 21st century. What Baptist wants to be identified with so many heretical groups?

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For further study about non-Christian tongues in the mystery religions of the first century, here is an excellent article by well-known scholar H. Wayne House: http://www.seeking4truth.com/tongues_corinth.html

I ask you: if heathen mystery religions spoke in unknown tongues, what is the spiritual benefit for a 21st century believer? I say there is none.

17. the68

the68 New Member

I'm dead beat from an eventful day and don't have time for an extended reply, so I'll keep things short with the intention to expound later.

John of Japan; that's exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for. Thanks for the information! I am familiar with seeking4truth but haven't focused much study there yet.

Revmitchell; please closely reread my posts in this thread. I have already addressed your concerns and appealed to pardon where appropriate.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are two things these articles do not mention.

1. The failure of tongues in Pentecostal missions. "Pentecostal believers went from America in 1906, believing that the gift of speaking in tongues which they had received would enable them to preach the gospel to the heathens in their own languages. A source from January 1908 reports eighteen cases from China, Japan, and India, all of which were unsuccessful" (Azusa Street and Beyond, ed. by L. Grant McClung, Jr., p. 13, quoting Nils Bloch Howell in The Pentecostal Movement).

2. The early rise of aberrant tongues-speaking groups which the Pentecostals rejected. Chief among these was the Latter Rain movement, which was rejected by the classical Pentecostalists. Unfortunately, the vast majority of modern Pentecostals have accepted the Charismatic Movement which has as part of its theological base the Latter Rain heresy. O. Talmadge Spence (former Pentecostal) delineates this in his book mentioned above. The leaders of classical Pentecostalism have basically surrendered to the excesses and heresies of the Charismatics and Neocharismatics.

Then I must point out that we do not need tongues to do God's work, contrary to a couple of the links given. Many who have strongly emphasized the power of the Holy Spirit have seen wonderful results from God without tongues. D. L. Moody saw a million come to Christ without tongues. (A number of sources document this.) John R. Rice saw over 200,000 come to Christ without tongues (my figure, derived from his biographies). Jonathan Goforth saw great revivals happen in China and Korea with 1000s saved without tongues. (See By My Spirit, an account of those revivals by Goforth.) Lee Roberson built the 2nd largest church of his day without tongues. (See his book of sermons Power, which talks much of Pentecost.)

#59 John of Japan, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  19. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You IMPRESS Me!

Thanks for reading the links! That is something many wouldn't do! I know we disagree on tongues, but, we have through our agape love, mutual respect for one another, and your response leaves me feeling good about our understanding of each others beliefs.

I will agree, that tongues have never, in my opinion or experience, caused anyone to come to Jesus! The use PnS and I find of value is purely personal! Shalom!