1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"The Exorcism of Emily Rose" A new movie.

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by church mouse guy, Sep 15, 2005.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sony has come out with a picture about a Catholic exorcism and the legal case stemming from it.

Movie critic and talk-radio host Michael Medved has given it a good review. Medved says:

In the Exorcism of Emily rose a priest gets in trouble with the law for performing an ancient right and Laura Lynne plays his defense attorney....[and]Tom Wilkinson who is excellent as the priest, charged with negligent homicide because a troubled college girl died during the attempted exorcism.

Purportedly based on a true story this film is consistently compelling, superbly well acted but more spiritually substantive and challenging that conventionally thrilling. The skillfully staged courtroom drama takes its time and the ultimately ambiguous somewhat surprising resolution hits the mind rather than the gut. Rated PG-13 for truly frightening flashbacks of demonic procession. 3 Stars for the serious and searing “Exorcism of Emily Rose....

Has anyone seen this film? If so, what did you think of it?

(I apologize for putting this in the news section. I think that we need a culture section but I guess evangelicals don't do windows and culture. I shouldn't be so cynical--I apologize.)

Here is the link to the website for the movie:

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/theexorcismofemilyrose/

2. Rachel

Rachel New Member

There are threads about movies in the hobbies/Travel Forum, I know it's easy to miss. [​IMG]
    From the commercials it looks like it should be rated R, looks scary. I plan on watching it when it gets to video.

3. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Rachel. Do you think that the moderators should move this thread there? I never knew that movies were down in that forum because I had never been there. I have long thought that we needed a cultural forum but we have so many already that I don't know--what do you think?

4. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Yeah, they probably should move it. You can PM one and ask.
    The Christian FELLOWSHIP Forums (All Christians) is all split up, different than other boards. It would be nice if it said Movies on the front of the board there but it looks like not that many people want to talk about them here. Oh well, just post and see if you get any responses. [​IMG]

:cool:

5. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rachel, I am going to ask them to move it. There doesn't seem to be a place for discussions of fine arts and other cultural expressions exactly.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I saw this movie last weekend. It was very well done and also disturbing. In fact, I had bad dreams from seeing it because most of it was pretty believable (I say this partly from my past in the occult and the scary things that happened). Of course, it is based on a real case.

The co-writer and filmaker is an evangelical but says he is "one G K Chesterton book away" from being a Catholic. I'll try to find the article about him that says that.

Aside from some of the Roman Catholic touches in the movie, I thought it showed Christian belief in God and in Satan.

The one major issue I have with the movie is that Emily Rose was supposedly devout (a Catholic) yet she was possessed. At first she is just tormented but later is clearly possessed. I do not think believers can be possessed. Even with that, however, it was a good movie. It was not overly sensationalized and the scary touches were genuine.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I forgot to say the acting was really excellent and that it is an intelligent film -- it's not a horror film. Of the 3 main characters -- the priest (Tom Wilkinson), the possessed girl (Jennifer Carpenter), and the lawyer (Laura Linney), it's hard to say which one was best. They were all 3 really superb.

The priest in the movie maintains his beliefs in face of the skepticism of his agnostic attorney and the derision of the DA (who in the movie is Methodist but is discounting the possession).

It certainly is a good movie to discuss with an unbeliever, since it raises the issue of evil and if there is a God. The movie has a lot of talking points, with both believers and non-believers.

Here's that article about Scott Derrikson, the director, that I mentioned in the previous post. It's from an online Catholic news service. But if you type his name in Google along with the movie title, you'll get lots of links.
    http://www.catholic.org/cathcom/national_story.php?id=16564

8. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, Marcia, for some very interesting comments and a very good link! I agree that believers cannot be possessed.

I wish that Hollywood could make a movie without dirty language.

Focus on the Family said this about the movie:

...The Exorcism of Emily Rose is based on the real-life story of Anneliese Michel, a German college student and devout Catholic who died during an exorcism in 1976. Doctors said her seizures and visions were caused by epilepsy. Her family and their bishop believed it was demon possession. German officials responded by prosecuting the parents and priest for criminal negligence. (They were found guilty but given suspended sentences.)...

http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/movies/a0002320.cfm

Also, thanks to the moderators for moving this thread here. I was lost about where to put a cultural thread.

9. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Thanks Marcia. [​IMG]

10. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

Marcia, you are correct. Those inhabited by the Holy Spirit can never be possessed by demons. Good and evil, just as light and dark, cannot occupy the same space. Just as there may be "devout" Baptists who are not saved, there are "devout" Catholics that are not saved. Only the unsaved can be victimized by demon possession.

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I haven't seen it, but several told me it wasn't scary.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I have no interest in this movie. Nothing againt it, it's just not the kind of genre I find interesting or entertaining.

13. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Just remember, Hollywood's idea of "Based on a true story" is more like: "Hmmmmm, that story of a kid getting kidnapped by his father, could be the 'base' for a movie about a kid getting kidnapped by aliens."

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

To expand on that, it must be remembered that this move is not a true story. It's a heavily dramatized and fictionalized story that derives from a real incident that took place in, I believe Germany. Being based on a true story is not the same as a true story.

I've heard soem generally positive reviews about this film. Still, I'm not going to see it, because it's simply not a genre that interests me.

15. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I'm looking forward to seeing it. It is getting a lot of buzz in the indie film circuit, although that does not necessarily make it good.