1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

the First Baptist Church in America

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by keylan, Aug 7, 2001.

1. keylan

keylan New Member

Anybody know where I can get any info on the founding of the first Baptist church in America.
    Apparently my GGGGGGGG Grandfathers founded it [Thomas Olney and Rodger Williams] they were from RI.
    Thanks
    janet [​IMG]

2. Bezalel

Bezalel New Member

First Baptist Church is the First Baptist Church founded in America. It was founded by Roger Williams ... I never heard you GGGG Grandfather's name mentioned in connnection with this church.

Opps! I meant to include Providence, Rhode Island as the churches location.

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: Bezalel ]

3. DocCas

DocCas New Member

The first Baptist church in America was founded by Dr. John Clark in 1637, a full year before Williams founded his "baptist" church, which died out a few years later. Williams was never a Baptist but was, at best a "See-Baptist." Read up on Dr. John Clark for the history of Baptists in America. [​IMG]

4. keylan

keylan New Member

OK I give up whats a See Baptist? I found out the church Williams started broke up. then Thomas started another church of which he was lay pastor. Do you know if this church was Baptist in theology? Thanks :confused:

5. DocCas

DocCas New Member

A See-Baptist is one who practices self baptism. Williams baptized himself. [​IMG]

6. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

How on earth do you do that..."Upon the confession which I have made, I baptise me in..." :D :D :D

7. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas Cassidy: A See-Baptist is one who practices self baptism. Williams baptized himself. [​IMG]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is good, keep it coming Dr. Cassidy. BTW I have a "Who's Who In Christian History" by J.D. Douglas, which states that
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Williams' criticism of the existing authorities, coupled with his outspoken demeanor, resulted in his banishment from New England in 1635. He fled southward in January of the following year, where he bought land from the Indians and founded the colony of Rhode Island. He named its first settlement Providence in recognition of God's help and guidance. Soon after this time he founded America's first Baptist church (1639).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But nowhere in his account did I read about the "See-Baptist" account. Should I throw the book out? Or better yet, can you recommend a good historical book on this subject? Thanks! [​IMG]

8. DocCas

DocCas New Member

The best researched book on the subject which I have found is "The First Baptist Church in America" by S. Adlam and published by Baptist Sunday School Committee, Texarkana, Tx, 1939. [​IMG]

9. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the info! 1939 is my favorite year - you know why.... ;)

10. toolman

toolman New Member

The best book about the Baptist Church is "The Trail of Blood". By Dr. Carrol. It tells the history of the Baptist Church from its conception. :rolleyes: