1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The First New Covenant Sermon

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by adisciplinedlearner, Jul 26, 2010.

1. adisciplinedlearner

adisciplinedlearner New Member

I moved to my current city with a determination to plant a Sovereign Grace Landmark Missionary Baptist congregation in this place. While studying God's word one day, I came to the realization that I was studying it with many and various Baptist presuppositions instead of studying it with a willingness to believe whatever the text says. At that point, I set out to study the entire New Testament from this more objective standpoint, and this study led me to the place where I could no longer be a Baptist. This study led me to my present convictions.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Just curious, do you attend a church?

3. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well I cannot agree because God would not confirm that anything other than Gods grace can save a person.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Baptism is human merit. Man does the baptizing and man receives the baptism. It is not an act of God. It is man's obedience to God, just like prayer, witnessing and any other ACT of obedience. It is an act, something we do. And if Baptism is necessary for salvation then one has a works based salvation.

5. adisciplinedlearner

Brother DHK, The act of immersing a repentant believer is a physical exercise, but the work God does at the time of baptism is a gracious spiritual work. Martin Luther understood this fact. He taught that baptism is God's work, and he held that it is instrumental in salvation.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What happens to a person who receives Christ as Lord and Savior and dies before he can be baptized?

7. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Sounds like the testimony of Joseph Smith, Mary Baker Eddy, Ellen G. White and the list goes on and on and on.

What you are admitting is that you apostatized from the faith you had been observing for many years.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is nothing spiritual about getting wet.
    That is what happens at baptism, nothing more.
    I challenge you to show me from the Scriptures that anything more than getting wet happens at water baptism.

9. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

They go straight to glory!

10. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

You have yet to prove that God does any kind of spiritual transformation in baptism. Your candidates for baptism are still unregenerate, blind, ignorant, unrepentant, unbelieving, rebellious as that is the described condition of the unregenerate state and which you must admit as you teach that regeneration, confession, belief all occur AFTER they step into H20!

11. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

What if they get baptized and are not born again? They go straight to Hell,do not pass go, do not collect $200.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Martin Luther was an ex-communicated Catholic Priest who brought much of his Catholic baggage with him, such as a varied form of transubstantiation that he called consubstantiation--for all intents and purposes they are basically the same. I am IFB, not a Lutheran.

13. adisciplinedlearner

Only repentant, believing human beings are baptized. All others are just dipped in water.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

But according to your own testimony they don't receive forgiveness of sins until after they get baptized.
    How do atoms of hydrogen and oxygen wash away sin? I thought that is what the blood of Christ did.

15. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

You cannot add water baptism to salvation...you can in your thinking but in reality of Gods word it doesn't hold water "pun intended".

16. adisciplinedlearner

Water does not literally wash away our sins. Only the blood of Christ has this kind of cleansing power.

17. adisciplinedlearner

When repentant believers are immersed in water, God places them into union with Christ, into union with His death, burial, and resurrection, and into union with the one body of Christ (Rom. 6:3-6; I Cor. 12:13; Gal. 3:26-29; Col. 2:11-13). The passages I have just cited also tell us about other things God does at the time of baptism. Please read them and see, and remember Acts 2:38 as well.

18. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Wait a minute! You have denied that repentance, faith, confession of faith, regeneration occur previous to baptism so how can you say only repentant, believing human beings are the correct candidates for baptism??????

19. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I study these passages as well but you greatly confuse regeneration with the picture of salvation...outward expression of what has happened on the inside.

20. adisciplinedlearner

Brother Jedi, Baptism is both external and internal.