1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Gap Theory

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Robert Snow, Jan 25, 2010.

1. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you explain that statement for me?

2. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Who exactly are you talking about?

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

No one has said this theory is a fact. Do you think it is wrong to even discuss something like this?

It amazes me that someone can start a thread about something and regardless of what the subject is, they will be attacked relentlessly.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will in order to even consider the Gap Theory which is so weak it doesn't deserve the title "theory" you have to read into scripture what is not there.

Nutty gap believers change God's word when they move the word "was" to "became" in 1:2. Eisegesis to be sure. When you need to change the plain and normal use of the word to fit a preconceived notion that wants to interpret scripture based on man made science rather than interpret science based on scripture you get eisegetical distortions.

Further eisegetical nuttiness is trying to make the word "darkness" mean something other than what it is. Using it to suggest there is a destruction of some error in the earth is to again take it from its plain meaning and read into what is not there.

Just a couple of examples

5. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank-you! I am guilty of seeing an x where there is an is.

6. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having gone back and having reread the OP, you started off fine but you are now in the position of defending this heresy. Heresy is never of Christ.

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I do not consider this to be heresy. I have never heard anyone claim this as fact. Don't be so quick to declare what is and is not heresy!

8. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just a bit of history--variations of the gap theory and old earth creationism PREDATE evolution.

What is new is the adherence to young earth creationism.

One is not a heretic nor hellbound for holding to the OLDER understandings of creation, just as one is not a heretic nor hellbound for holding to young earth creationism.

What I believe is this: Satan sits in the corner and cackles with glee as we fight over this rather than focusing on Jesus Christ and taking the gospel to the world.

It is becoming quickly one more way for a few souls to find a way to figure they are "in" and most people are "out."

It is a grace killer.

9. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't think its acceptable antropomorphize the devil.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just stop your false accusation. No on here is doing this. Your strawman argument has no grounding. Move on.

11. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

He didn't accuse you of anything. Sometimes the guilty speak the loudest though. If you are not guilty, then why respond like you did?

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not say he accused me of anything. A response in no way indicates guilt. It does indicate very clearly opposition to the false strawman that if you debate issues you are not sharing the gospel.

13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You are correct. In fact, one can use the Internet to spread the Gospel!

14. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the Miriam-Webster;
    Main Entry: her·e·sy
    Pronunciation: \ˈher-ə-sē, ˈhe-rə-\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural her·e·sies
    Etymology: Middle English heresie, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin haeresis, from Late Greek hairesis, from Greek, action of taking, choice, sect, from hairein to take
    Date: 13th century

1 a : adherence to a religious opinion contrary to church dogma b : denial of a revealed truth by a baptized member of the Roman Catholic Church c : an opinion or doctrine contrary to church dogma
    2 a : dissent or deviation from a dominant theory, opinion, or practice b : an opinion, doctrine, or practice contrary to the truth or to generally accepted beliefs or standards
    The Bible, God's Word to mankind, does not teach us the Gap theory and for that reason it is a heresy.

I will not proclaim that there are not teachers that teach this but if a million teachers teach what is contrary to what scripture teaches, it is still a heretical teaching. It is worth noticing that I did not call you a heretic and call for you to be stoned to death. That judgment belongs to my LORD but I am instructed by the scriptures to be a discerning follower of the LORD. The best model beings the Bereans in Acts 17:11 who listened to the teaching of Paul and then searched the scriptures... daily.

Today we hear folks like Benny Hinn tell us "Thus saith the LORD..." and when it turns out that they have lied we turn a blind eye to the fact. This has become so prevelant in the church that I know pastors that will not teach the whole Bible for the fear of losing their position. Lies and heresies are ten cents a thousand but the Word of God is truth. Adding the Gap theory to scripture and then publishing it on the Internet is to teach heresy and we must never be found guilty of causing the weak in the faith to stumble.

15. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have an unscriptural position here that just astounds me, neighbor. In the last three verses of Matthew we receive our marching orders and if I can help a brother to cease to teach a false doctrine I can see no violation there. I'm fairly certain that Satan is over joyed by folks that see errant teaching and remain silent, after all, he doesn't want any more to be saved.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The phrase "heresy" is being tossed around way too casually. So much so that it's lost its efficacy. We're now using the term every time there's a simple disagreement over application. That's a perversion of not only the word "heresy", but it's an affront to scriptural liberty (you know, that one Baptist Distinctive that everyone claims to cherish, but few here follow).

The Gap Theory doesn't qualify as heresy. At worst, it qualifies as weak interpretation.

BTW, I don't subscribe to Gap Theory.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

But Mark 16 does tell us to pick up serpents - if we believe

So as not to hijack my own OP, here is a new thread on this subject concerning Mark chapter 16

Salty

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you like for me to send you a free 6 month subscription? If you do subscribe for a year, then I get 3 free months! :smilewinkgrin:

Salty

19. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

The first article I see on your blog is "How to get along."

I guess to you getting along is always agreeing with you! :laugh:

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Stop making me laugh! I almost spit out my iced tea all over my monitor!!