1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Germans have finally gotten their Bible ... AGAIN!

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Forever settled in heaven, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Forever settled in heaven

well, ever heard the KJBO argument that the Bible that's available is the standard that God wants us to use (n all others r condemned "perversions," etc. [​IMG] )?

waddaya know, but i hear that the Gutenberg is again made AVAILABLE again--
    http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/news/press/2002/nr061902gutenberg.html

guess them Germans r back to reading Luther's lingo, notwithstanding the "Bible correctors" [​IMG] who've made their mark, literally, in ye olde Gutenberg, now captured digitally for them to read! :D

2. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

Thank you, but I have the German Bible [​IMG]
    Let me tell you that the Luther Version is by no means a good TR-Bible. And I am not talking about the latest revised version (which by the way is a mess!). I am talking about the 1545 version. Luther used other manuscripts a lot. A someone that loves and esteemes the KJV, let me tell all the KJV-people that the Luther has the same majestic style of the KJV but is not a good textus receptus Bible, it is different from the KJV in many ways.
    But there is a new translation that is completely TR (the only one in Germany). It is called the "Schlachter Version 2000". Wonderful majestic language not hard to understand and... completely TR.

God bless you all!

Alexander

3. Forever settled in heaven

woops, i goofed! the Gutenberg's a Latin Vulgate.

so i guess its the Church militant that has finally reclaimed its AVAILABLE Bible--in KJBO terms! :eek:

4. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

I disagree with you on this one, Alexander. It may not be a "good TR-Bible;" however, it just as good as the AV in terms of the message. It's no secret that I love the AV (the TRUE AV, not one of the later revisions), but I love Luther's Bible too.

5. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

It is not a bad version! I love its majestic style. But I heard so often that it is the German KJV. And that´s wrong because what´s different is not the same ;)

I like Luther´s Bible, too. But I would like to have a more accurate TR-Bible.

Alexander

6. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

No problem: sounds as though we are in agreement with respect to the Luther translation.
    My question is this: why do you want a more accurate TR-Bible? What is missing from Luther's translation that would give way to a need for anything? Not arguing - just curious as to your thoughts.

Hope all is well with you,

David

7. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

I am sorry that I don´t have any charts [​IMG] In the NT some words that are in the TR are missing (and I am not talking about the italics :) Especially in the letters of Paul. It seems to me that he "switched" manuscripts sometimes. My version (Schlachter Version) is from the TR only (NT of course). It "feels" like KJV when I read it (I am talking about the words, not about some supernatural preservation thing :)

Alexander

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem I had in 77-81 as a German minor in a TR Bible College was that the Luther Bible was only available in Gothic print (and these were usually pre-WWII books). Only the UBS version (equivalent to the RSV IIRC) was available in modern print. When was the "Schlachter Version" published and from whom are they available?

9. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

The "Schlachter Version 2000" is available at "Christliche Literatur Verbreitung" (Christian Literature Publishing). They also have the MacArthur in German with that translation. There will be some new editions this fall (more footnotes, wide margin etc.). You can download it as a pdf.-file for free. F.E. Schlachter came from Switzerland and translated the Bible there. He used a mixture of all manuscripts for the NT. The revision (Version 2000) corrects that and uses the TR exclusively.
    There is also a "new" Luther revision that is not very popular. The NT was revised in 1998 and uses the TR now exclusively. The OT is 1912 (modern print). It is published by the "La Buona Novella Verlag".

God bless you!.

Alexander

10. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

My mother read the Bible in German. And she says that it is very interesting how much clearer some passages are.

I, not speaking German, have no personal experience to add. But, my mother is a pastors daughter... and I value her perceptions and opinions.

I can't tell if you are saying that there is something wrong with the Bible that is written in German? And what is that opinion based on? If you wouldn't mind expounding just a little. [​IMG]

I would also greatly appreciate it if you would try to be succinct so that I am not overwhelmed by lengthy dissertations. Thanks.

11. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

There is nothing wrong with German Bibles in general. But if you want to use a good TR-Bible there is only one choice: Schlachter Version 2000. Every other Bible includes some passages from other manuscripts.

Could you tell me which translation your mother reads?

12. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Oh goodness me...I'll ask her. She's out of town for her birthday, so I'll have to get back to you on that. ;)

Just sent her an e-mail. I'll let you know as soon as she replies.