1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Gift of Tongues

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ktn4eg, Jul 28, 2014.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

Think again. :laugh:

It's not doctrinally essential, but I believe Paul was speaking of both love being superior to signs, and that "the perfect" to which he referred was the completion of Scripture -- which of course did not depend on men meeting in ancient councils to determine. God knew when he was finished, and I believe but the visions of Paul and John regarding heavenly future things, they knew it too.

It isn't important that men knew when the canon was established. what mattered was that GOd knew when He was done with His verbal revelation, that He had expressed love to man and man was expected to reflect that love to others, through the sharing of the Gospel and good works that were done without expectation of reward. Those are the "greater works" Jesus spoke of, and those are the things making up "the perfect" of which Paul wrote.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

:thumbs: I stand corrected.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit used the sign and revelatory Gifts in the Acts church to safeguard and perserve the Apostolic teachings and correct theology, but not required with the completed canon now///

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That seems to be the opinion....or with the destruction of Jerusalem. What we do know from Scripture, however, is that these sign gifts are temporary in nature (hence the term "sign gifts"). Some, myself included, tend to believe that this is what the apostle was saying while pointing to greater gifts. Others (about everyone else on the BB, it seems) view the apostle as being more specific....pointing to the future when the canon would be completed or the Temple destroyed.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who say trhe Bible supports all of those gifts operating still today also reuire the office of Apostle to have remained opened, and don't see the biblical evidence for that position!

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some do...yes. Others do not. Some, for example, believe that there are cultures where the Bible as God's revelation is absent and that these gifts may be operative in those areas (the canon of Scripture completed vs. the canon of Scripture received...I suppose). Some believe that a lack of awareness of spiritual issues and spiritual warfare blinds us to these gifts in operation (while denying the gift of apostleship). Some believe that God may still use these gifts in some situations (I don't really know if they even define "these situations") and do not decide whether or not these gifts have ceased or continues (with the exception of the gift of apostleship) but judge on a "case by case basis"...obviously never confirming a legitimate example or they would fall out of the indecisive category.

7. beameup

beameup Member

The gift of tongues - being able to communicate the gospel in another language, without ever studying that language,
    will return to evangelistic Jews during the Tribulation so that they can fulfill the Great Commission to every tribe, tongue and nation.