1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Grammar of 1 Jn. 5:1 is repetitive

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by The Biblicist, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You don't have to "assume' anything as he ADMITS that John NEVER makes that kind of substitution and yet he makes it anyway in full light that John does not! That is willful misrepresentation and willful misrepresentation is lying.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

But he doesn't support what you said, you have to read EVERYTHING he said. Like scripture, you pull one statement out of context and ignore anything that would refute you. This is a HABIT of yours.

Right, you are the expert.

Daniel D. Musick, B.A., Wheaton College, 1973

M.A., Theology, Wheaton Graduate School, 1978

Calling someone a liar and insisting that you are always correct are not valid forms of argument.

3. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

Wow.

You can't just say:
    "Yeah that was harsh language, but his argument is false and constitutes a misrepresentation of Scripture and here's why":

Nope, he HAS TO BE!.... HE MUST BE! A liar
    (and probably a humanist to boot.)

Why does anyone bother?
    Why?
    Winman are we masochists?

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Is that your criteria for authority? I have a ThM from Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary and Landmark Baptist Theological Seminary and a previous B.A. to boot. So now, what does that mean to you????????? Let us see if you are consistent in your approach here????

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

True, there are many terms that can be used. He is in "error"! He is "intentionally misrepresenting" John. His argument is "false." He is telling a lie! All semantics!

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Neither of you fellas will deal with substance! Both of you ignore the grammatical evidence I provided to show this writer is wrong. However, that is where the basis for truth is determined. Instead both of you want to argue about frivilous secondary matters or just keep repeating his errors without dealing with the evidence that may prove his assertions are not true. Why? I imagine it is because both of your are personally unqualified to delve into these matters although you want to quote people you are not qualified even to defend.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Those "frivolous secondary matters" are what is called rightly dividing the word of God. You don't take a single uncertain verse (and this author has shown that 1 Jhn 5:1 is not conclusive concerning order) and overrule a dozen or more scriptures that clearly show faith precedes regeneration.

You do not let scripture speak to you, you start with a presupposition that Calvinism is true and go on a search to cherry pick verses here and there that you can wrest to seem to support your view, completely ignoring any scripture that refutes you. This is exactly how cults interpret the scriptures.

8. Inspector Javert

It means that Wheaton is better.

9. Inspector Javert

If you think "being in error" and "telling a lie"
    are merely "semantical" differences:

Than I suggest demanding a refund from Mid-Atlantic and Landmark Baptist T.S.
    Because if they haven't weeded out insufficient English vocabulary, I have no idea what to conclude about their Greek grammar courses.

10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You are stating absolute falsehoods! I presented nothing but grammatical facts found in EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY use of gennao in first John. Your writer admitted that every single solitary use of gennao in first John was exactly as I stated. Hence, his position is on "thin ice" or NO ICE becuase he has NOTHING to support his refusal to accept what he acknowledges to be factual.

Second, his response and examples are flawed just as your responses are flawed. Do you deal with the evidence they are flawed??? No! You ignore the evidences, you ignore the very principles necessary to rightly divide the Word of God and just BLINDLY accept this man's assertions because YOU ASSUME ARMINIANISM IS TRUE and thus cherry pick while completely ignoring the exegetical details that expose your assumption to be false.

If your accusation had any merit you could confront and deal with the evidences I presented in a exegetical fashion! But you don't because you can't and so you play your little games of run and jump, ignore and assert.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

John Piper went to Wheaton.

By the way, it is frivOlous not frivilous, and it is rIdiculous, not rediculous college boy.

12. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

FACT #1 - your author jumps out of first john to John 3:18 and then IGNORES the negative particle and IGNORES the words "condemned already" in the development of his flawed argument.

FACT #2 - your author fails to point out that making God a liar can only refer to the state of mind of the one in unbelief and it is that that state of mind perfect tense that is causal to his unbelief.

Here are the only two examples he can find to attempt to overthrow what he alreadly admitted MUST be causual in every single solitary scripture where gennao is found in the first episitle of John. He already admitted that no sane person would argue that overcoming sin, overcoming the world, loving God, doing righteousness is not consquential to the cause of having been perfect tense "born of God." Yet he makes an attempt to overthrow what he already acknowledge must be true in every single one of these cases with the exception of 1 Jn 5:1 which uses the very same construction.

Any objective person can see his arguments are totally flawed and it is only pure bias that is the basis for his arguments as the arguments themselves are flawed becuase he ignores immediate grammar in the same verse, immediate contextual problems in the very same verses to his argument.

13. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The president of Southern Theological Seminary went to Mid-America Baptist Theological seminary. So what????

This is the kind of frivilous arguments you are forced to flee to because you have no exegetical based substance to support your biases. You can't deal directly with the exegetical evidences I presented because you acknowledge you are completely unqualified to deal with such as you have no Greek background.

So why do you select certain Greek men to defend you? You can't verify or defend their interpretations? PURE BIAS is why you select them. I don't run to anyone to defend my own exposition because I am sufficiently acquainted to defend myself and provide exegetical based arguments. Why enter waters that are you admit are too deep for you????

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

I don't think I am a masochist, maybe a sadist, debating Biblicist is like beating up a little kid.

[​IMG]

The guy was simply substituting "Christian" for "born of God". It is really not a misrepresentation at all. He was perfectly honest about John never using the term Christian.

Biblicist does not understand what a lie is, yet he calls almost everyone that disagrees with him a liar. This is when he KNOWS he is beat.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

I quoted this author because I neither know Greek nor Greek grammar. What I was showing is that Greek scholars disagree. This author clearly demonstrated to any honest observer that the verb tense does not conclusively show order in 1 John 5:1, so it cannot be used to prove regeneration preceding faith, especially when nearly a dozen or more scriptures clearly and conclusively show faith precedes regeneration.

You know your argument is very poor hermeneutics, but you stubbornly hold to a losing argument anyway.

16. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

This is why these threads are shut down because you fellas can't deal with substance and so you turn it into personal attacks.

This shows the weakness of your arguments and position when you reduce it to personal derogatory attacks.

In a previous post I clearly stated the exegetical based evidences for disagreeing with your writing and the best you can do is talk about the institution and degrees of certain men or reduce the discussion to attacks on my person.

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

You were the one who claimed to be superior at grammar, something you cannot possibly demonstrate to us. You can barely spell.

Do you know how to spell "hypocrite"??

18. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I repost the OP because no one has yet overturned it. The writer you appealed to admitted the sound exegetical basis of these texts and did not attempt to deny it but admitted that doing righteousness, loving God, overcoming sin, overcoming the world are all CONSEQUENCES of the new birth and yet attempts to overturn the only other text found in 1 John because it does not fit his soterioloigcal bias.

Every argument he provided was flawed and I showed the flaws but NO RESPONSE from you fella's except talking about a degree that is equal to my own degree. No response except attacking my person.

Let other readers be the judge of who in this debate has provided sound exegetical evidence and who has not.

19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

That is another lie! I never bragged about anything! I never brought up Seminary degrees - YOU DID! - I simply responded to your brag in your writer. Do you know how to spell "hypocrit" and "liar"????

This is the best that Winman can do - personal attacks, misrepresentations and things that make no difference in this discussion whatsoever. Such responses are not fruits of the Spirit but have their source in the flesh. I refuse to lower myself to such a level from this point forward.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

No, it shows I have a sense of humor unlike you.

Like most people who believe they are God, you take yourself completely serious at all times. Never trust a humorless person. EVER.

It is like the old E.F. Hutton commercials, you want everybody to stop, "Biblicist has entered the room!"

And you were the one that said that writer did not know grammar. You are the one who introduced this "frivolous" argument. Again, it is an "O", not an "I" college boy.

#40 Winman, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.