1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The greatest error on bb

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Do you believe that omnipotence, omnipresence, and omniscience are essential attributes of God? In other words that one who claims to be God but is not all powerful, all-knowing, and everywhere present is lying?

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I am not ignoring this post. I'll get to it but it is so long that I will address it later when I have time.

I am about to leave to go to an association men's meeting in a few minutes.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Luke, who is it that revealed to us that God wrestled Jacob and lost? Who was it that told us that Jesus did not know the exact day and hour he would return, and did not know who touched him in Luke 8:45?

I believe the word of God. When Jesus said he did not know the day and hour he would return, I believe him. I do not care what any other person says or thinks. This is not difficult language to understand. When the scriptures say God wrestled Jacob and Jacob prevailed, I believe it. I do not understand why God would tell us these things unless they were absolutely true and he wanted us to know them.

I don't start out with a preconceived idea and then force scripture into it. I try to understand scripture properly and then form my views from that.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So no.
    You don't believe that the omni attributes are essential to God being God.

He can stop being all powerful forever if he so chooses.

He can stop knowing all thing for the rest of eternity and be no more intelligent than you or me.

There is no point discussing this further.

You do not believe in the same God that most of us Christians believe in. We are talking about two different Gods.

The God of Christian theology is by his very IMMUTABLE nature omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient.

The one thing God CANNOT do is not be God.

Your God can not be God whenever he chooses. That is a different God altogether.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

God "allowed" jacob to win in order to be able to do what he really wanted, to break His spirit and rename him...

Jesus was limited while on Earth,as He was in the physical body of a Man, and he willingly took on the limitations of the flesh, as He allowed Himself to "not know" the time the Father knew!

Jesu knows ALL that the father knows once again, as he received back the fullness of the Glory that was veiled while here on the earth!

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

You can insult me all you want, I believe what the scriptures say.

It is the word of God that tells us Jacob prevailed in the wrestling match with God.

It is the word of God that tells us Jesus did not know the exact day and hour he would return.

It is the word of God that tells us Jesus did not know who touched him in Luke 8.

Your problem is not with me, your problem is that you do not believe the word of God.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your problem is that you do not "rightly divide the Word of God!"

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

How do you rightly divide the question, "Who touched me?"

Luk 8:43 And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any,
    44 Came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched.
    45 And Jesus said, Who touched me? When all denied, Peter and they that were with him said, Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?
    46 And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, Jesus in the Incarnation faced a voluntary humbling of himself, willing to endure/live/experience things a humans do, while still remaining fully God!

He chose to grow in grace and knowledge , so he had decided that he did not need to know that return date at the time, but knows it now once, as he is not himdered by frail physical body any more, but raised in a gloried one and has fullness of His glory again!

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

To be fair that could be a leading question made to garner a specific response. I use these with my kids. I will hear one of them in the kitchen, see a mess and ask "how did this mess get here"? I know all along how, and who made it.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus limited Himself by coming to earth, while being a Human being, so he had to grow in knowledge/grace before God and man!

He always was fully God, yet could not know sometimes, be tired/hungry etc in all things he experienced it as we do, but did not sin!

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

I understand, but I think that is refuted by Jesus's next statement when he said,

46 And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me.

I believe this statement makes it clear that Jesus was truly asking a serious question in verse 45. He knew someone touched him because virtue had gone out of him, but he did not know who touched him. I do not believe Jesus would mislead and pretend not to know something when he did know.

#272 Winman, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
  13. Winman

Winman Active Member

Here is another question that shows Jesus was not omniscient.

Mar 9:20 And they brought him unto him: and when he saw him, straightway the spirit tare him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming.
    21 And he asked his father, How long is it ago since this came unto him? And he said, Of a child.

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I have been following this thread somewhat, lurking in the shadows, hesitant to comment, because I can see where both sides of the argument are coming from. Not that I agree with both sides, but I do see where, and why, they take their stand in regards to what they see as logical and illogical. Here is how I see this.

Whenever you look at the things that God has done, such as turn Moses' staff into a serpent, Aaron's rod budding, Peter walking on the water, Peter looking at the crippled man at the gate called Beautiful, and telling him to rise up, etc. Now, to the natural man, all of these things look illogical. But, when you look at them through the spiritual eyes, eyes annointed by the Holy Ghost, you can see how logical they really are. Anything that God does, is logical, whether we see it as such, or not. What I am trying to say is that when God moves, and anoints anything, even an ass to talk, Jesus stating that if the people would hold their peace, the rocks would cry out, etc., that these things are logical, because God empowered them to do these things. I think this verse goes along with the theme of this thread:

1 Cor. 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

It is when we try to see with the wrong set of eyes, we tend to not see what God is really conveying to us through His written Word.

#274 convicted1, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
  15. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Deuteronomy 30 :
    11 Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. 12 It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, “Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 13 Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, “Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 14 No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.

No matter how logical things may be to me and you, but to those who have no faith in it and the person who said it, it is not there.

That is why Jesus said believe in me He hasn't told us a what, but a who.

Then we listen and learn truth, logic from Him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.