1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Holman Translation

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by LTUM2, Oct 8, 2008.

1. LTUM2

LTUM2 New Member
    Site Supporter

Is it clearly superior to all others?

Is there still the need to exegete occassionally?

linguinsts please respond.

(also, your opinion of the MacArthur Bible?)

thanks

2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think this thread belongs in the translations forum.

The superiority of a translation depends on the situation it is being used in.

If the reader is doing word level studies and want something similar to the greek, then the NASB and NRSV are superior.

If the reader is not familiar with english or with christian jargon, then the Message or the NLT are superior.

If the reader is a church goer who enjoys familiarity with christian language, then the KJV and NIV are superior.

If the reader is a sunday school teacher using the SBC Lifeway material, then the HCSB is superior.

You are always exegeting to some extent when you read the scriptures, regardless of translation. The question is not whether you need to exegete, but whether you do it well.

#2 Gold Dragon, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2008
  3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a reader is not familiar with English I certainly would not suggest the Message!It's loaded to the gills with slang which would only cause confusion.And then there is the issue of it being quite free (reckless at times)in communicating God's Word.

The NLTse might be digestible to non-native speakers of English.I've given some editions of the Gospel of John away recently(the 1996 version).But normally the NIrV is more suitable for people with English as a second language.

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I forgot to include that the above analyses of superiority are my personal opinion and as Rippon demonstrates, there are many others out there.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Moving to Translation/Version forum

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

First, welcome to the Baptist Board. :wavey:

Second, I would assume you are intending to refer to the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB, or CSB), here, for in actuality, there is no such thing as a translation known merely as the "Holman Translation", as 'Holman' aka Broadman & Holman publishes several translations and versions, not all of which are in English, and is in fact, the largest publisher of Spanish language Bibles in the United States.

"Is it (HCSB?) clearly superior to all others?" Um- no. If it were, there would be no reason to even ask the question. I think, generally speaking, it is a good translation, from my limited exposure to it, and I cite it, on the BB at various times.

"Is there still the need to exegete occassionally (sic)?" I would offer more than merely 'occasionally', but rather regularly. No one single translation or version, regardless of how well intended (and even one that is done extremely well) can take the place of study of the Scriptures themselves, in preaching, Bible exposition, the leadership of the Holy Spirit, etc., in one's ministry. There is simply no 'canned approach' where "one size fits all" in this.

"(also, your opinion of the MacArthur Bible)"

There are actually multiple "MacArthur Bibles" (Mac Arthur Topical Bible and MacArthur Study Bible) and the 'Study Bible' is available in at least two English versions (NKJV, NASB) with a third (ESV) rumored to be "in the works", and the MacArthur Study Bible is also available in German and Spanish, as well, although I do not know the version used, here. I have never used one, but obviously, many must like it/them, since over 1M copies have been published.

"linguinsts please respond." Although I am more likely to be found consuming spaghetti or vermicelli, I also am fond of linguine. I am definitely one who enjoys most any pasta dish served. In fact, I think I'll fix pasta for lunch, now. ;)

Ed

#6 EdSutton, Oct 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
  7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You're goofy! :laugh:

8. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Oh Amy, you just set him up for another! :laugh: (just wait, here it comes)

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

franklinmonroe, do you know how you keep a 'Buckeye' in suspense??

Ed

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Oh boy. Here it comes.

:saint:

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Amy.G, do you know how you keep a 'Volunteer' in suspense?

Ed

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ummm......keep asking that question on a discussion board and not answering it? :laugh:

13. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I just knew you couldn't resist.

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Uh, sorry, franklinmonroe.

The way you keep a 'Buckeye' in suspense is to tell them that THE Ohio State University Buckeyes will soon again beat an SEC team in a big game, such as for an NCAA title. ;) [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

#14 EdSutton, Oct 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2008
  15. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well I don´t know about the German MacArthur Study Bible, but I own and use a Spanish one: Reina Valera 1960 revision.

16. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

There is a german MacArthur Study Bible, "MacArthur Studienbibel, Schlachter-Übersetzung 20002. I have not bought it yet but probably will.

17. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recently purchased an HCSB (for $4.97 - what a deal) for reading and decided to carry it to church because it's smaller than my regular ESV. I noticed that the preacher, who was using the NKJV, had to "explain" the meaning of the English at points; had he been using the HCSB, he would not have had to do so.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree.The HCSB makes things much more clear than the NKJV.But wouldn't a preacher have just as much explaining to do if he was preaching from the ESV?

19. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Couldn't say, since he doesn't use the ESV (and I know how you love the ESV so.)

20. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The HCSB is a black mark in the history of Southern Baptists!