1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The King James Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by kraftyhorselover, Aug 8, 2011.

1. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am KJVO - I don't use any other version because I don't NEED any
    other version.

I love the Bible and the truth contained in it.

I am not trying to start anything...I was warning the OP that if she talks about being KJVO, she will definitely get comments that will upset her. It has happened to me many times.....and I am sure it will happen again.

2. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

"I love the Bible and the truth contained in it."

Good. So do a lot of people that aren't KJVO. The gospel is found in every version I have ever read, and there is no disputing that fact. It's the gospel that saves, not the version.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

We all get comments on here that upset us on a variety of subjects. It goes with the territory- this is a debate forum, after all. :smilewinkgrin:

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

But surely it is to be expected that the creators of websites will use the bible translation which they normally use. My own church website, for instance, uses the NKJV (New King James Version), because that is the translation we use in our services. Just a few miles from us is another church we have good fellowship with, where they use the KJV, and so naturally on their website they quote God's Word using that translation.

And of course there are churches in countries where English is not the national language, so they will not use the KJV or any other English translation. :)

It could give you a false idea of a church (or other Christian institution with a website) if they used one translation on their website, and a different translation for services.

As you say that the sites "teach good bible doctrine", could you tell us what sort of problems you encounter on them? Is it simply that they use a different translation of the scriptures to the one you use? Or are you finding other problems?

5. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I know that - I just didn't if SHE knew that.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To answer the OP...Many people, myself included, believe the KJVO DOCTRINE is FALSE. After all, it doesn't have one quark of SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT, not even in the KJV itself, and the origin of the current edition of this doctrine is shown to be from a CULT OFFICIAL'S book.

And this forum is occupied mostly by Freedom Readers like myself, who totally reject KJVO. Please keep this in mind, and if you're KJVO, prepare to have that doctrine challenged.

And some sites get downright nasty with KJVOs, most likely brought on by KJVOs having gotten nasty and in ad-hominem mode with them to start with. While that shouldn't happen here, the KJVO position will certainly be strongly challenged!

7. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To the OP.....you might see that you have the same issue with this forum, although there are definitely KJVO people like myself here.

Just avoid the threads where you feel insulted....that's what I do. And this thread is turning in that direction, so I would definitely follow the
    advice of some of posted initially and back away from any forum where
    you don't feel comfortable or accepted for what you believe. I pray for someone who says that my Bible presents false doctrine, because I was
    saved from the information in that Bible, I live by the information in
    that Bible, and I will always love the information in that Bible as the WORD OF THE LORD.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with RC, but I would like to point out that I (and I am sure RC well, is not opposed to the KJV - just the doctrine of the KJVO.

I would contend that if you can back up your belief (not prefernce) with facts - then it would be impossible for you to feel insulted.

Normally I preach out of my KJV- because that has been my tradition (or preference), but I do study out of other versions as well.

Mind you, I have absoutely have no problem with someone who exclusively uses only the KJV - just as long as they do not make it a doctrine. ( may I add you may be missing some blessings...)

9. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Which bible though is "word of the Lord?"
    just the KJV, if so, which edition of that?

Are modern versions also?

or is the true 'word" found in Hebrew/Greek texts themselves, NOT in any translation from them?

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Oh, goodness, folks... can't we give the poor OP an opportunity to explain herself before we jump down her throat? That is if our ugly mugs haven't scairt her off already!

11. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Freedom Readers? Really? That is the stupidest thing I've read in a long time. Do all you "Freedom Readers" believe that God created other people after the flood and believe that God created other people to mate with Adam and Eve's sons?

12. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I would like to know what part of reading the KJV Bible caused them to lose their freedom? I gained LIBERTY IN CHRIST while reading it.

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It wasn't reading the Bible that did it for me, it was reading ungracious responses like these- from BOTH sides- that caused me to examine the issues for myself, and come to my own convictions regarding the matter.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That is exactly what I thought. :laugh:

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answer: You should research the issue from all points of views. Find out why others use versions other than KJ. Remember, it should not be just out of tradition (that in itself is not wrong), but do not make a doctrine out of tradition. In fact, as Baptists, we often fault the RC's for that exact reason. We need to stand on the Bible itself. It would be impossible for the KJV to claim it is the only version, as the orginial NT was written at least 1500 years previously. Therefore using verses such as Matt 24:35 have absoutely nothing to do with the KJV

I also like to point out, had you lived in the 14th Century, what version would you have used. In fact, the Pilgrims, when arriving in Americia brought the Geneva Bible. Why not the King James? click for link: from the link:
    “Now available for the first time in 394 years, this is the Bible the Pilgrims carried when they landed on Plymouth Rock in 1620. The Puritans of that era considered the King James bible a “government issue” publication. King James banned the Geneva Bible in England and made its ownership a felony.”
    In addition many words have changed in meaning over the years.

ie Isa 3:3 says "The captain of fifty, and the honourable man, and the counsellor, and the cunning artificer, and the eloquent orator" Exactaly what does "artificer" mean?
    I think it would be very hard, if not impossible to determine the meaning from the sentenance. (have fun trying to find it in a standard dictionary)

One question I always have is about Baptism. As Baptists we love to say that the KJ writers transliterated the Greek word Baptizo (meaning only immersion) to baptism; which could mean immersion or sprinkling. By comparing Scripture with Scripture we are able to conclude that all baptisms were by immersion. ie "much water, ect" If that is the case, than is the KJV is wrong?

I understand that many find a special love for the KJ with it Elizabethan style and the fact that many of us were brought up on the KJV - mainly due to the fact that was the only version in wide circulation.

I implore you to do a serious study on this issue, and not just go by what one man may say.

I may have missed it, but is there a particular reason you believe that the KJ is the only version that should be used. If so, I seriously would be interested in knowing the answer. I will be the last one to say I am wrong (yes, the last one! - ) but when confronted with the facts, I will come around.

May I close with this - Sometimes I wonder if it is the Devil who is trying to make the Great Divide with the KJO issue - if so, he is being very efficitive in keeping us from sharing the Gosple message with those who are on their way to Hell.

Salty

PS Krafty, welcome to BB. Glad to have you on board

#35 Salty, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011
  16. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, my Dad, the Southern Baptist Deacon, had no other Bible other than KJV in his entire lifetime. He believed that baptism was only to be
    by immersion, and he used the word "Baptizo" for the proof....so where
    was he wrong?

17. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Not wrong, but don't other versions say that also though?

18. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Not nearly as stupid as believing the MAN-MADE KJVO doctrine.

Can U prove me wrong in the other matters U mentioned? Of course not.

Can I prove KJVO wrong? Signed, sealed, & delivered years ago.

19. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The MAN-MADE part that the KJVOs added, that sez, "The KJV is the ONLY valid English Bible translation" , an idea derived from a CULT OFFICIAL'S book.

A Freedom Reader reads other valid versions, free of the man-made false doctrines that diss them. He/she has the freedom to use ANY valid version(s) he/she chooses

20. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

It also seems "Freedom Readers" have the freedom to make stuff up about what they read too.