1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Lamb Slain From the Foundation of the World

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by pinoybaptist, Feb 21, 2007.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread in this forum, the fact that the Bible says Jesus Christ was the Lamb Slain From the Foundation of the World was touched on.
    I asked the following questions:

What is the benefit of Christ's being slain from the foundation of the world ?

Who is benefited by this ?

Is this a literal event or is it a picture.

Now I am adding these two questions:

What are the implications of this title of Christ for mankind ?

What are the implications of this title of Christ for God's people ?

I realize that had it been answered and discussed then the original thread will be derailed, so I am asking these questions again and posting them as a new topic.

Thank you for your inputs.

Let's discuss this without biting each other.

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

The Lamb placed on the cross was without spot of sin or sickness and was not polluted or torn. Therefore "Lamb Slain From the Foundation of the World" is a promise of the Christ.

3. GordonSlocum

GordonSlocum New Member

Lamb Slain From the Foundation of the World
    What is the benefit of Christ's being slain from the foundation of the world ?

Benefits flow from the reality of it so we are not speaking to interpretation but application thus the benefit of it.

(1) It paid the sin debt required by The Holy Trinity
    (2) It provided the means for salvation to those elect in Christ the Whosoever of humanity.

The reference to time as a factor in the benefit does not change the benefit so that aspect of the request is not as I understand it what you are looking for.

So in its simplest form I offer answers (1) and (2)

I am sure some theologian has made a laundry list a half mile long. There may well be some good list by authors of all persuasions on this and I for one would love to see them if they are not endless sentences and paragraphs.

Has anyone read Harold Wilmington’s Books that He outlines theology with. He has a knack of simplifying and putting into outline and concise form things such as this. All be it he does use complete passages from the Bible which is all together different form endless quotes from theologians.

I hope that is a good start anyway.

4. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you both for your answers.

Now, let's hear it from the theologians of this board.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm not a theologian but I'll take a shot.

In the mind of God, things which are future occurences in time are seen as already accomplished. They are as certain to happen as if they had already happened. That, of course, is because that is how God planned it.

In the Revelation, we have numerous occurrences where John describes something in his vision as already accomplished, even though it is yet to come, even for us. For God, it's a done deal.

6. GordonSlocum

GordonSlocum New Member

Tom I believe that would be how I can understand it.

This statement will accommodate both sides of the Calvinist and Non- Calvinist differences. I am on the none-Calvinist side of that difference.

7. GordonSlocum

GordonSlocum New Member

8. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

God is the Creator. The Creator created time for creation. Creation is bound by time. God is not created, therefore not bound by time.

God stepped into time in the form of a man, Jesus Christ. He lived and died, and said He will come back for us. He will not come back until all the elect are born and hear the Gospel. I don't know if the last of the elect have been born yet... but the Bible says the time is near.

God is present in eternity future. For God, all things have already came about. Like it has been said, its a done deal. From before day one, to the last day, God is there. That was simple huh? :laugh:

9. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My take on this:

The Lamb slain from the foundation of the world is God's provision for those of His who will pass thru time and die before the time of the cross, when the Blood of the Lamb of Glory will be spilt at Calvary as the Blood of the Lamb of God, sealing their salvation in time.

The Blood spilt from the foundation of the world guaranteed the passage of such men as Adam, Seth, Enoch, Elijah, Moses, David, Samson, Rahab, Deborah, and other Old Testament Saints and Prophets into glory.

It is also the blood that washed away the sin of the elect who were born and lived outside of the geography and chronology of Biblical lands and times, thereby making true the Bible's claim that the elect of God come from all tongues, and kindred, and nations, and their number is as the sands of the sea, innumerable, cannot be counted.

The Blood of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world puts a stop on those who will boast, or feel pride, because of their theologies, their heritage, their religions.

God is great, and worthy to be praised.

His mercy endureth forever !

#9 pinoybaptist, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2007
  10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Those of us in Christ, are therefore also chosen before the foundation of the world in the sense we are IN Christ!

11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

What do you feel "in Christ" means?

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What do you think?

13. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

You mean I have to tell you what you believe? Calvinist don't do this. We ask 1st, just as I just did. :)

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If it doesn't mean faith in Christ, what does it mean?

15. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Faith in Christ, means that a person is saved.

For by grace you have been (past tense) saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Is this what you mean by the words.."in Christ"....that those that are "in Christ" are saved?

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Of course. Can someone be "in Christ" and not saved?

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

So then it is fair to say...

Those that are saved are therefore also choosen before the foundation of the world in the sense we are saved.

Which BTW... is election :)

#17 Jarthur001, Feb 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2007
  18. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are two types of people in this world.
    Those who are in Christ.
    These were in Christ not because of their choices, but because of God's choice.
    They did not cause themselves to be in Christ, but God is the cause of their being in Christ.
    The gospel did not cause them to be in Christ, but the gospel declares them to be in Christ.
    Because they are in Christ, they are positionally already seated in the heavenlies with Christ.
    They were chosen in Christ from before the foundation of the world.
    Therefore, they were elect in Christ from before the foundation of the world.
    And so God is able to call them, through Christ, and in Christ, my sheep, my people.

On the other hand, there are those who are not in Christ, were not chosen in Christ, were and are not elect in Christ, and can never be in Christ.

These have no Savior, no Advocate, and one day will have to stand up before the Righteous Judge and be judged for their sins.