1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Legacy of Slavery

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Professional football is about 75% black and I would venture to say that the percentage of blacks on pro basketball teams is even higher. It is not unusual when watching a pro basketball game to see 10 black men on the court. Why? Because they produce and the coaches and the owners want to win. There has never been a Nobel prize awarded to a black man in science and mathematics and yet look at the number of Jews who have been awarded Nobel prizes. The most hated and persecuted race in the history of mankind. Anyone who owns a business is in business for one reason only. Not to provide someone with a job but to make money. Employment is a by-product of the entrepreneur's desire to make a profit. Whether it is a black man who helps that businessman make a profit or a white man it makes no difference to him. Pro sports is the quintessential example of this fact. Making a profit is colorblind. If a black man gets fired from his job he needs to look in the mirror and study his character, not his skin color.

2. targus

targus New Member

One legacy of slavery is that a large number of people were born into this country where the opportunity to improve their lives is probably a great deal higher than that available to their distant relatives born in the mother land of Africa.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your vitiolic post has been reported. Try posting without the ad hominems for a change. Works particularly well for adults.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I see you can dish it out, but you can't take it. :laugh:

If you've anything farther to say on the matter, send me a PM.

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

In a town that I used to live in they had an organization called the 100 Black Men of "...". And, that's ok but then again. What if there were an organization called the 100 White Men of ... One is ok, the other is racist. For the life of me I can't understand that. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. It's ok for one organization to emphasize it's race. But, it's not ok for the other. And, we wonder why we have race problems in "these United States."

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Oh yeah, a white congress person wants to join the "black caucus." But, that's not allowed. White folks arent' allowed. In most circles that would be called racism. But, there's a double standard. And, we wonder why there are race problems in "these" United States.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is seen throughout America in every industry (BET, Miss Black USA, ebony magazine, black colleges, acting awards, UNCF, etc.)

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

The blatant undercurrent of racism here is unbelievable. It is fine for a caucasian to have a view of race relations, of course. But no white person has lived the experience of being black in America. There remains, even to this day, repurcussions from this shameful past episode of "these United States".

It goes beyond slavery. Within my lifetime:
    - Black people had to ride in the back of the bus
    - Could not eat in the same restaurant
    - Had to use separate restrooms and water fountains
    - Could not swim in the same pool
    - Had to sit outside the church and listen on speakers, while whites went into the air conditioned building
    - Go to the back of the Dairy Queen to be served
    - Discriminated against at the polls
    - Treated as less than equal on many other levels

So is it any surprise that given this experience that some people are still upset and hold some resentment? I bet most of you would if you had experienced this growing up.

As for the inane comment about the NBA and the NFL, not very many people, black or white, get the opportunity to play in those leagues. There is not a White Congressional Caucus, because historically, the entire body was a white caucus. People who are in a minority status meet to strategize ways to advance an agenda more favorable to them. A higher percentage of blacks are living in poverty than whites, all because of institutionalized discrimination. We have come a long way, but it takes generations to overcome previous multi-generational discrimination. I long for a day when society is colorblind and no longer has a need for affirmative action programs. I think we are getting closer, but until all have a fair opportunity at achieving the American Dream, we can't quit.

I do believe that some Affirmative Action programs have lived past the need for them, and this is a danger. We need to find a way to insure every child, Black, White, Native American, Latino, Asian-American, or whatever background, gets the best possible education and opportunity to acheive their maximum potential. This makes for a better world for all.

9. Magnetic Poles

So, what's stopping you from starting WET, Miss White USA, Ivory Magazine, White College, UWCF, etc.? The point is whites have had some advantages without the need for such.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent posts, MP.

Where I grew up, in South Texas, there were not very many black people. The one guy that was a bully toward me in junior high was white. He was impeding my progress to class one day and it was a black student who came over, stood up to him, and told him to leave me alone.

Personally, I have always had good relations with black people. At one point in time a couple of years ago 4 out of the 9 people I supervised were black.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What's stopping me? For one, being labeled a racist and white supremacist (and time :)). There is not a single non-racist white person in America who could get away with anything like this.

Everything you mentioned witnessing in your first post...I have not witnessed. Why then are those my same age using these very reasons as a guilt trip today?

Also, why do we need to put a color...any color as a prefix? What is wrong with plain old Miss USA (which has women of color I might add)? Why the need to segregate at all? I thought the point was to ELIMINATE segregation, not further it's cause!

#31 webdog, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2008
  12. Magnetic Poles

That's what I mean..you have not had that experience. It is not a guilt trip...it has been institutionalized discrimination that would still be there today if not for progressive laws to change this. That doesn't mean it still isn't going on beneath the surface...but you cannot get away with refusing to sell a black family a house, or segregating the schools, or any of the other things. These are real, and people alive today have experienced it. Like I said, it takes time.

And I got news for you...you already sound like a racist complaining about BET and UNCF, etc. You may as well go whole hog!

13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

"The blatant undercurrent of racism here is unbelievable."

I knew it wouldn't be long before the "r" word was used.

Get out the thread and needle, Magnetic Poles wants to sew the "R" to our chests.

14. Magnetic Poles

If the shoe fits....and obviously it does. If you make racist statements, you should not be surprised to be called on it.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nobody made a racist statement. The liberals are real quick to pin that label on anybody who even dares question the non segregation segregation. I will not be labeled by a rogue BB liberal like Magnetic Poles. I have every right to question the need for segregation in the same way those who you witnessed suffer from the exact opposite segregation.

16. Magnetic Poles

Nice doublespeak. Integration is segregation. Black is white. War is peace.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Try making some sense. Do you really think adding a "black" prefix before anything actually helps to eliminate the racial tension in America and promote unity? Whatever...

Which one would be accepted in America

First White Baptist Church
    or
    First Black Baptist Church

#1 would be labeled by you as a "racist" church, while #2 would be accepted with open arms as a thing of beauty. Neither garner racial harmony, but #2 would be widely accepted by everyone but skinheads and white supremacists.

#37 webdog, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2008
  18. Magnetic Poles

Advancing a historically disenfranchised group helps move us toward equality and hopefully, a color-blind society.

As for churches...I have seen predominately white, black, and mixed congregations. I have been to all three types, and always felt welcome. I have never seen the strawman you posit. You have no idea how I would label anything, so get off it.

19. sag38

sag38 Active Member

They love the "r" word. Disagree and you are a racist. Point out the descrepancy of their argument and you are a racist. I guess I'm a a racist then.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

yeah...right. That's why Obama's rating has fallen off the cliff because his racist pastor was only trying to "advance a historically disenfranchised group towards equality and a color blind society". :rolleyes:

Arguing with a liberal is like arguing with a wall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.