1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Lord's Day

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

Well, what more can be said to that but .. Amen!

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    or we could say this;
    What day was that? obeying God is not a yoke of slavery, it is our reasonable service.

3. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

It is men who put the yoke of slavery on believers through unScriptural rules & traditions. What commands has He given concerning the first day of the week? Without a clear command & clarification from the Word, "Lord's day" is just a figure of speech.

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

Not when the Gentile believers are not bound to Jewish traditions and Laws.
    Or was the counsel at Jerusalem incorrect, and Paul as well?

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Allan,
    The ten commandments were in effect before put on stone on MT.Sinai.
    The ten commandments are in our heart now.
    The unsaved of the world are breaking them everyday,Jew, or Gentile.

Acts 15.....as we both know was addressing the OT sign of the Covenant,and yes even Jewish tradition.

Jesus is not the end of the law
    Jesus is the end of the law for righteousness, to everyone who believes

We are no longer under the Israelite theocracy,yet we are not lawless.I know you do not believe we are lawless Allan.

I am not advocating we keep mosaic legislation although most all of it is just an expansion of the ten commandments.God has made a change ,yes.
    But that does not mean we are not under law to God.
    The law is holy just and good. The curse of the law was not the law itself. It was the penalty of breaking the law that was the curse.
    Jesus as we rejoice in kept the whole law. We also keep those portions of the law that were not completed and done away with the cross....the col.2 verse is speaking of the mosaic laws.....feast days, new moons , etc

it is not saying let no man judge you in reference to the ten Commandments.

Michael,ACTS17-
    This is a good caution against legalism,but does not address the discussion clearly.

Michael to help me understand your position could you offer comment on this;
    also
    Was the psalmist looking to put a YOKE of bondage on Himself?

Michael.....if the one day in seven is given for man,are you opposed toGod setting one day in seven aside for works of mercy, or necessity? Why does this seems burdensome to us? What else in the world is more of a delight?

Do we look forward to the Lord's Day....without having to do the labour commanded in the other 6 days? Is fellowship ,prayer and bible study, the word preached,communion, a yoke of bondage to be endured?
    Or can we call the sabbath a delight as Jesus and the apostles did?

If you look to add to it and make it burdensome,then I could agree with your concern.

Let's say there never was any sabbath teaching,or Lord's day......
    Would you think it was a good idea if a man thought of it.

God rested after creation, We have an eternal rest in Jesus[active however].
    But Hebrews says there remains a rest to the people of God.

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Iconoclast, if you feel so led to follow the Sabbath law then you are free to do so. But, I will not be bound to slavery nor will I be found guilty of making it a requirement for everyone else. If it's right for you then you better do it. But, I really believe that you are in gross error concerning the Scripture by saddling yourself with this requirement and demanding it of others as well. I forgive you for trying to force a yolk of slavery around my neck.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

According to the apostle Paul, the Sabbath was one of those thing FORESHADOWING what was to come.. and had come - in Christ.
    The sabbath was the rest promised to be, and we have entered into that rest in Christ.

Again, with respect to saved Gentiles, what was commands the Counsel of Jerusalem stated they needed to abide by.. was the sabbath keeping included.. nope, I didn't think so.

Does Paul state that the sabbath was a foreshadowing of things to come (Jesus Christ).. yes He did. What other things of the Law that foreshadowed Christ or His work are we commanded to commanded to continue?

The biblical fact is, Jesus is the fulfillment of the biblical Sabbath because in Him we rest from our own work of trying to be good enough to earn our way into heaven, and we rest in the finished work that He has accomplished for us on the cross.
    So the author of Hebrews boldly declares: “…we who have believed enter that rest…”

So do believers “keep” the Sabbath? Yes they do! By placing their faith in Jesus Christ and trusting that His work on the cross was sufficient to pay the penalty for our sins—and therefore resting in that work as complete and finished.

HOWEVER, I do agree with both Paul and Sag on the issue that if you are convinced in your own mind that you should keep the sabbath law, you are bound in your faith to keep it, otherwise it is sin unto you.

#27 Allan, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
  8. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

iconoclast, it is clear that you are experienced in justifying man-made traditions & laws via proof-texting. It is not a lawful use of the law to wrap it around your own man-made laws. Instead of looking at Scripture in a "what does it mean to me & my beliefs", it should be studied with a "what did the text mean to the original recipients" attitude. The first day of the week was never regarded as an alternate sabbath.

As one who claims to adhere to the letter of the Old Law, do you set aside Saturday, the true sabbath, as a day of total rest; without traveling, cooking, or any other act of labor? If not, then your entire argument is fallacious.

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a question concerning FORESHADOWING.

Which are a shadow of things to come;

Does this verse say that at the time of the writing of it the aforementioned things are still presently at that time a shadow or does it say they were a shadow until Christ came?

10. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This was the time of the passover week. There were multiple Sabbath days at this time in addition to the regular weekly Sabbath. This is NOT saying that this first "Lord's Day" was the start of a new Sunday-Sabbath. That is stretching if that is what you intended.

What in the world does this have to do with the Sabbath?

The debate here is NOT whether we are regarding the Lord's Day. It is about whether the Scriptures make the Lord's Day the Sabbath Day. I contend that Scriptures do not make a link from the Sabbath observance to the Lord's Day as if they are the same observance.

Either we are bound to obey the Sabbaths in the Law (including seventh-day Sabbaths and feast Sabbaths) or we are not. No amount of Scripture fidgeting has proven to me that the Lord's Day is also the Sabbath.

11. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would link this verse to Hebrews 10:1.

When the Law was given, the shadow of it were of things to come. The present tense "having a shadow of things to come" was not from the vantage point of the time of writing, but rather from the vantage point of the giving of the Law. The things to come had come and were fulfilled in Christ's death, burial, and resurrection.

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will just ask for two. Tell me what the feast of unleavened bread with it's two holy convocations seven days apart fore-shadows and also the feast of trumpets?

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Keeping the day unto the Lord is not a yoke, but a delight. Sorry you do not see this. Do you think heaven will be a yoke forced upon peoples necks?
    You do not follow the ten commandments then?
    You are a lawless christian? Do you believe God's law is evil,and needs to be avoided?

14. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heb 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
    Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
    Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

The exact details of the feasts do not have to have an exact parallel in the work of Christ for Him to fulfill them. They all symbolize either what He did or what He will do.

This might be a good explanation.

We no longer celebrate Passover. We do, however, celebrate the Lord's Supper, which is a fulfillment of the Passover. Other feasts have fulfillments in what Christ did or will do. The rest in Christ is a fulfillment of the Sabbath.

Christ fulfilled the ordinances of the Law. We do not have to be subject to ordinances such as in the Law for the Christian life. The Christian life is about sharing Christ with others and being examples of moral purity and being unspotted by the flesh. It is not about sacerdotalism.

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I notice you did not answer any of the questions I asked. by your response it looks like you did not read my post with any understanding at all.
    If you answer what I posted I will respond to it.
    If you are unable to respond, I understand.

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Allan,
    The seventh day sabbath was fulfilled in Christ as it had become part of the ceremonial law. Yes.

The Lords day sabbath is ongoing,even for saved gentiles as it was not a ceremonial law [seventh day]
    The apostle John kept it,rev 1

17. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who says we all aren't "keeping the day of the Lord." The onus is on YOU to prove that the Lord's Day is also the Sabbath. You have to prove from the Scriptures that the Sabbath switched to Sunday. You also have to do this in the face of Paul's admonition in Colossians chapter 2 to those who were uncircumcised in the flesh not to let people judge them about Sabbath days because they were a shadow of things to come. c.f. Hebrews 10:1.

You are reading way too much into what he is saying. It is those who seek to bring people back to following laws which have already been fulfilled in Christ (and changing them from their original context), that Paul clearly says that we are no longer under (Gal 3:23-25). He calls it "bondage" to believe one has to "observe days, and months, and times, and years" (Gal 4:9-10).

You still need to prove that Sunday is the new Sabbath. Also, if you don't work six days per week, would you not be breaking the fourth commandment? (Exodus 20:9)

The New Covenant is a "law of liberty" in which we are free to serve God in spirit and faith, not in sacerdotal ordinances (James 1:25; 2:8-12).

18. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me this "Lord's day sabbath." I can't find it anywhere in Scripture.

19. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Your questions were well answered by others & I therefore felt no need to repeat what others have said.

20. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fifty days after the resurrection of Jesus 120 original sheep of Jesus were gathered together and the Holy Spirit came upon them and Peter began to preach. This was the day of firstfruits. Pentecost. Were the about three thousand of firstfruits that were added to the assembly of called out ones there because of this feast? Do you not think God gave this feast to Israel for this very purpose. That is to point to this period of time that that God is calling out from the Jew and Gentiles (nations) a people who have the firstfruits of the Spirit and for his name sake? See Romans 8:23, Romans 9:24 Acts 15:14.

Why should the church keep the feast of trumpets? Luke 11:1,2 Lord, teach us to pray, And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Acts 15:16 After this, (After the feast of first-fruits the calling out a people for his name.) I will return and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up: 1 Cor.15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. 1 Thess. 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. (With Jesus into the kingdom of God) 1 Thess. 4:16,17 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 1 Cor. 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. Luke 20:36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection. (When the feast of trumpets, the next feast, is fulfilled we will be the children of the resurrection therefore the children of God therefore born again and as the song says, be saved to sin no more.)

Should the church keep this feast being this feast is for the church?