1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Master's Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have always dreamed of attending The Master's Seminary in Sun Valley, CA and sitting under the teaching of such godly men as John MacArthur, Paul Felix, and the others. However that will probably never happen. What brought this old dream back to the surface? I received a new edition of "The Master's Mantle" in the mail yesterday and just read through it and, wow, what wonderful things God is doing through the ministry of The Master's Seminary. MacArthur just returned from a reformation trip. During this trip MacArthur was actually allowed to preach from the pulpits of Ulrich Zwingli and John Calvin. They also toured several sites that were important in the life of Martin Luther (Erfurt, Wittenburg, Worms, etc). As a student of Church History I think a trip like that would have been spiritually uplifting but also very educational. Maybe one day, in the distant future, I will be able to go on a similar tour.

2. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I too, would love the opportunity to go on such a trip, and tread the same ground these men did. As a student of Church History, though, I always try to bear in mind that, had I (or even John MacAurthur) been alive at that time, Luther, nor Zwingli, nor Calvin, would have given any consideration to allowing men such as these to preach from their pulpits.

MacAurthur denies such reformed ideas and doctrines as infant baptism, or baptism by immersion, or "real presense" in the sacrament, ("consubstantiation" to Luther), or a general amillennial eschatology, or local church autonomy...And the list could go on.

I admire these men, despite the theological differences I have with them. And I'm glad I have several centuries of retrospective (and introspective) to appreciate their place in history -- without the danger of being endangered by the lack of "tolerance" that characterized their time.

JDale

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I think we have to consider that these men, and their views on the relationship between the church and the state, were products of their time period. Religious freedom was not the norm in their day and the common belief in church/state union made it difficult for someone to believe that the two could/should be separated. They believed that it was the duty of the state (civil authorities) to protect the church. This was the common belief of their day. In fact it remained the common belief for many years after the reformation. Just because they had become reformed in their doctrine and had broken away from the Roman Church does not mean that their views on this changed.

In his book "America's God: From Jonathan Edwards to Abraham Lincoln" Dr. Mark Noll spends several chapters tracing the transformation of thought on this issue in early American history. The theories he presents on this are very interesting.

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Retrace the Reformation" Tour

Dear Brother,:thumbs:

My wife and I will be going on the "Retrace the Reformation" tour hosted by Dr. David Dockery and Union University from June 15 until about June 30. Dr. Timothy George, Founding Dean of Beeson Divinity School-Samford University and Reformation scholar, will be doing the lecturing on site at the places where Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli lived. We will go to many places in Germany and Zwitzerland. I just got off the phone and secured a side trip to Rome and the Vatican for three extra days with the tour group.

One of my Master's degrees is in "History of Christian Thought." Next to a trip to the Holy Land this has to be a lifelong dream come true.

Please pray for us as we go.:praying:

sdg!

rd

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I am about 2hrs from the Master's Seminary, and I know what you are feeling Martin, but I am content right now with the pastorate. However, I read and listen to John MacArthur all the time, since I am reformed.

I heard John MacArthur mentioned his experience in Calvin's famous chapel, but I don't know if it is the same trip or another one. Just yesterday I was listening to an interview with MacArthur which was conducted by Dr. Mark Dever.

After listening to that interview, I think I know what the secret is to making a national and international mark: just be faithful to God and his words and he will use you however he wishes.

http://tcrblog.blogspot.com

#5 TCGreek, Apr 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2007
  6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The Master's Seminary is a fine seminary. Anyone is benefitted by attending there, or reading their publications. :)