1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Meaning of John 15: Love or Doom for Believers?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Marcia, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It's very disputed as to whether there is soul and spirit. In some passages, soul and spirit are the same thing. In some passages, soul means "life," as in "400 souls lost their lives in that disaster." Sometimes soul means feelings. One passage talks about the souls of animals.

So it's not clear at all. This topic has come up on many threads -- I even started one once on the BB - and there was never any clear conclusion.

I can post some links to articles that soul and spirit are not different, but I doubt anyone would read them, so I'm not going to bother. I think Heb. 4.12 is hyperbole on the penetrating judgment of God's word and is not literal. So I do not think this passage proves soul and spirit are different. I have articles on this, too. :smilewinkgrin:

2. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Hope of Glory,

Hebrews 4:12 of 'dividing' does not take literally. But, this verse talks about HOW POWERFUL God's Word is.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have been born twice, therefore I will die only once.
    Those that have been born only once will die twice.

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
    This describes physical death. When the spirit leaves the body, the body becomes lifeless and goes back to dust. Unfortunately I have to attend a funeral tomorrow of a four year old girl who died of cancer. I believe that her spirit went to heaven. But tomorrow they will bury the body with possibly hundreds of sorrowful people, (many of them children), present. The body was but an earthly tabernacle that housed an eternal spirit, a spirit that awaits its celestial body. The soul (heart, mind, brain,) died with the body, and will be raised with the body. It is a part of the body. It is the spirit that is eternal and that will live on forever. We are spirit beings. The fact that this spirit being is housed with a tabernacle of one kind or another is irrelevant. God made us spirit beings. We await a celestial body.
    DHK

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The funny thing is, there's not a single passage that refers to an animal having a spirit, and there are many, many passages distinguishing between the soul and the spirit of humans.

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

And to show this, it uses to different pairs that can be divided.

6. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I hope and pray that will be true. However Revelation 2 or 3 I can't remember exactly which chapter it is says that there are some believers that will be hurt by the second death, becuase they will be found to be non-overcomers.

It's not eternal, but rather will take place during the 1,000-year reign of Christ.

Christendom makes the HUGE mistake of saying that every believer will have a part in the coming reign of Christ, that is if they believe in the literally reign of Christ. But that's just not the case.

7. vanhall

vanhall New Member

the lord loves all because we are his people and if you dont keep his commandments he will still love you but be highly mad but he will not condemyou for it he just saying be fruitful and be rewarded for all your fruit. because this pretty much sums it up. god so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son so that man would not parish but recieve everlasting life:thumbs:

8. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Certainly the first phrase is about physical death but the second phrase is about spiritual death. Your faith, if it doesn't cause a significant change in you which is reflected in your life (works), is dead. I believe in salvation by faith through grace. If faith is dead there can be no salvation.

9. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

That isn't Biblical.

Jhn 15:9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
    Jhn 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Now, I see where much of your confusion stems: Ephesians 2:8-9 says that it's by grace through faith, not the other way around. If you parse the verse out, you'll also see that the gift that is spoken of is "grace".

11. gekko

gekko New Member

you dont believe the bible? "by grace through faith" not "faith through grace"

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

And there are many, many passages using soul and spirit interchangeably. It is not a clear-cut issue at all. :tongue3:

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Yet, there has not been a single passage in which this supposed interchangeability has been shown, other than by someone saying, "see they mean the same thing".

I wonder why God would be the author of confusion in this way?

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

H/oG, I think DHK posted some. Even in English, we disagree on the distinctions, or if there are any. It all depends on what is meant by using the particular term of "soul" or "spirit."

Also, see this link:
    http://www.dtl.org/dtl/treatise/soul-spirit-1.htm

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

From the same link as previous post, discussion of Greek terms:

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Literary analysis, especially of the OT, shows "soul" and "spirit" being used interchangeably as well.

This is just one of several passages analyzed at http://www.dtl.org/dtl/treatise/soul-spirit-2.htm
    <B>
    </B>

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I meant to point out earlier you cannot divide joints and marrow, so the passage of Heb. 4.12 is not about literally dividing between two things.

Several NT passages using "soul" and "spirit" are analyzed as well, as is Heb. 4.12. Even if you don't agree, it's interesting stuff. :wavey:
    <B>
    </B>

18. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

You can't? Since when? I guess I need to throw out all my anatomy books, they all seem to be outdated. (The joints and marrow are separate, and easily divided, BTW.)

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

How do you divide a joint from marrow? Not bone, but a joint.

Even if you disagree with this, I hope you read what I posted above, showing how similar soul and spirit often are in the OT and NT, and how difficult it is to prove they are separate.

20. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Well, here's a link relating to cartilege loss in the knee joint with lesions in the marrow: Knee joints and marrow

Here's an article talking about bone marrow edema and joint effusion: Bone Marrow imaging

Ooh, ooh, how about bony cysts resulting from extrusion of joint fluid through the hyaline cartilage clefts into the marrow, with a fibroblastic and osteoblastic cellular reaction? Joint fluid seeping into the marrow

How about resonance imaging and how it is useful in demonstrating knee joint abnormalities involving articular cartilage, bone marrow, synovium, patellofemoral joint and adjacent soft tissue? Resonance imaging and the knee joint

There are more, if you want them.

As far as the soul and spirit goes, you assume they are the same, so you look at Scripture and see the words as being completely interchangeable. However, if you look at them as separate, you will see the context is different for each, in every single case.

Calvinists and Arminians both "prove" their side using the same book. Both those who hold to OSAS and those who don't "prove" their side, using the same book.

If you make the distinction between the soul and the spirit, there is no confusion. It's clear and laid out simply for all to see. One is secure and can never be lost nor even forfeited; the other is conditional upon the behavior of the believer.

A person who is saved spiritually can commit every sin ever imagined and still be saved, yet lose his life (soul). That beats the lake of fire, but there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when this person sees what he could have had.

Being saved spiritually does not involve taking up your cross and denying yourself; but the salvation of the soul does. One is based upon the finished work fo the Lord on the cross, the other involves bearing fruit.

An unsaved person cannot call him "Lord", for when he does, he has put him the position of being lord. But, a saved person can deny him, just as Peter did, even with an oath and with swearing and cursing. Since salvation cannot be lost, the person who does this is still saved, but is not in a position to be earning anything.

The wages of sin is death, but God has also promised us wages for righteous living. If he esteems these things enough to offer them, then I esteem them enough to want them.