1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"The Message"

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by DeafChristian, Jun 21, 2003.

1. What did you all think of the Bible translation on "The Message"?
    Me personally, I feel it is not for Bible study, but just for reading enjoyment. It makes me feel like I am reading a "novel", plus it makes it fun to read. I have a NIV that is used for Bible Study...but that's just me. [​IMG]
    I still think it is a good one to learn about the Bible though, but not for study time.

[​IMG]

Nancy

2. Forever settled in heaven

as u've already suggested, the answer to this n such questions is ... it depends! :rolleyes:

depends on why u're reading this version, when, to whom, etc.

The Message is more accurate than most other bibles in terms of the contemporary American vernacular for the target language. so if one wld like to know what Moses (hey, the OT's finally out!) wld sound like if he spoke US ENglish, the Message wld be a good choice. the idioms r all there. however, if one wished to understand the same, who's an ESL student in japan, then THe Message wld prob be confusing or strange.

ole King James wld not have understood all the lingo; perhaps QEII might.

also, the Message wldn't be a good replacement for an Interlinear or a Deaf Version. so there--like i said, it depends.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think that the Message is a good paraphrase, although not how you normally expect Paraphraed Versions to sound.

I stick with the NKJV for study purposes, yet I use several translations including the Living Bible, and I also find Halleys Bible Handbook helpfull as well as far as explaining certain aspects.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I enjoy "The Message" very much. I'm currently using it for devotional readings.

For my serious study, I use my NRSV and NASB along with my language references.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

My understanding is that "The Message" is translated idiom for idiom, rather than word for word or phrase for phrase. I havent read it myself, though.

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that's correct. That is one of the reasons I do not recommend it for a study bible. But it is an excellent devotional bible and very good for use in small group settings with people who did not grow up in church. It helps the modern English reader makes sense of some of the more difficult readings by rendering them in contemporary English.

7. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think one should remember that "The Message" is a paraphrase of the Word of God, not the Word itself. There is the inherent danger of inserting one's own interpretations on scripture when writing a paraphrase, in fact, I think it is a common bad side effect.

Jason

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Don't forget, the KJV also paraphrases quite a bit, with phrases such as "narrow is the way", "God forbid" or "God save the King". These don't appear in the original language, yet were effective in conveying the meaning in 1611.

So use of paraphrase doesn't negate the word of God, and see no reason to think that The Message isn't any more or less the Word of God than the KJV, NIV, NASB, or any other translation is.

9. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you have accurate translations and then you have paraphrases. They are two entirely different creatures. There is a vast difference between using dynamic equivalence and paraphrasing something. I'll start a new thread on this though, because I'm curious what people think of this.

Jason