1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Metaphor "flesh and blood"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Oct 5, 2014.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Mt 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

First, let us consider the phrase "flesh and blood" literally. A dead body consists of literal flesh and blood. A biopsy consists of literal flesh and blood. In context above Jesus is referring to a revelation of the truth of His person - "thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God." For Christ to mean LITERAL flesh and blood would be absurd as literal "flesh and blood" can reveal nothing, much less the truth of His person.

Hence, this is a metaphor or words that REPRESENT something other than the literal understanding of the terms. It refers to a NATURAL HUMAN source of information that is subject to death ("hades" - v. 18) as all NATURAL humans are subject to death. Jesus is plainly saying that Peter did not get this understanding from NATURAL sources subject to death, but rather from SUPERNATURAL sources in heaven - "my Father which is in heaven" revealed this to him. The gates of hades (Mt. 16:18) can prevail against NATURAL HUMAN sources because they are subject to death.

Ga 1:16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:

First, let us consider this literally. How is flesh and blood "conferred with" literally? If they did confer with it what would it be able to convey? To interpret this literally only makes nonsense.

Hence, again this means NATURAL HUMAN SOURCE subject to death. Paul did not confer with NATURAL SOURCES subject to death, but with SUPERNATURAL source.

Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Again, Paul is not referring to LITERAL flesh and blood, but again is constrasting NATURAL HUMANS subject to death with SUPERNATURAL SOURCES

Heb 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

Again, Paul is arguing that Christ did not partake of a supernatural nature that is not subject to death (angels) but partook of the natural humanity subject to death that he might destroy death.

CONCLUSION: In every single use outside of 1 Corinthians 15 this phrase is used as a common metaphor for the NATURAL HUMANITY subject to death. In 1 Corinthians the NATURAL humanity subject to death is all who have been born of Adam, as in adam all die (1 Cor. 15:20). The resurrection body is not is not subject to death, as corruption, mortality,dishonor has been removed. Hence, "flesh and blood" or a physical body subject to death cannot enter into the kingdom of heaven. But a physical body resurrected in honor, incorruption and immortality can inherit the kingdom of heaven.

#1 The Biblicist, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014