1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Most Realistic Money Tracts

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jul 31, 2014.

?
  1. Living Waters

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Tract Planet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. One Million Tracts

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. other not familiar with

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Did it look like this?

[​IMG]

Just kidding!

All kidding aside, my Aunt and Uncle had a phone like this in their house when I was a boy, and it was not for looks, it was the phone they actually used. I remember you had to turn the handle on the side for it to work which made a bell sound.

Again, just kidding about the phone, I know you are waaaay too young to have seen a working phone like this.

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats the phone I see often in the old movies and TV Shows that I watch. It's all prior to the 1960's as I don't see any phones like that in the Twilight Zone.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you are afraid to read books, so why take you seriously? With your attitude you would not even pass your 1st class in seminary. I tell you what go to seminary and take a Systematic Theology class and give the prof your attitude that you don't read books, and you will fail the class.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am not afraid to read books, what a silly thing to say.

The scriptures themselves tell us the scriptures are all a Christian needs to be "perfect", that is complete or fit in the faith.

2 Tim 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Now, if the scriptures can make a Christian "perfect", why does he need to read books written by men that are surely inferior to the word of God?

If you ask me, all these books you read keep you completely confused, you come on here and say something different every week. The scriptures say a double-minded man is unstable in all his ways.

And I don't need the approval of your seminary professor.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James 4:6 (ESV) But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: I don't get the "afraid to read books" part...that was silly (probably more dishonest than silly)...but you are absolutely correct that some tend to favor these books over Scripture. There are some that appeal to these books as an authority...I am not certain that this is not a form of idolatry. They may not be worshipping these human authors but they are certainly placing their works where Scripture should reside.

7. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny how most of the Baptist Board rails on this method, but most people on this board would support using rock music to spread the Gospel.

irony. though sad irony.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Scripture as authority isn't a method. I don't get the connection.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you think these books are filled with the authors opinions? Have you even read Faith Works man? The book is loaded with the word of God and commentary on every page.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said that these books are filled with the authors opinions...although they very well may be. Your mistake is that you treat commentary as if it were Scripture. And then you complain when others point out the weak foundation that you stand upon. It causes you to make irrational comments (like when someone does not want to read and debate a book, but will debate the topic, you say that they are afraid to read).

Don't get me wrong. I love reading commentary. I even like to read MacArthur. But I weigh everything against Scripture, and it on Scripture and not commentary where I will take my stand. It is a good place to stand...I'd recommend it for you.

#70 JonC, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  11. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    people complain about the deceitful vessel of sharing the gospel, but a worldly vessel that appeals to the flesh (Rock Music) is no different.

12. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who goes out and hands out CDs or USB sticks with CCM music on them to unbelievers? Not understanding the supposed connection here.

#72 InTheLight, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  13. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's taking a leap, trying to connect through the use of "worldly"

Deceit is worldly
    Rock music is worldly

Why do people condemn one "worldly" medium (deceit), while embracing a different "worldly" medium (CCM)

14. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Of course the burden is on him to prove the "worldliness" of CCM.

We haven't had one of those threads for at least a couple days. I'm sure this time the conversation will be very fruitful and helpful to all.

:rolleyes:

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now I get it...sorry, guess I was thinking slow. You are not speaking of CCM (geared to the Christian) I take it, but of attempts to evangelize through disguise so the lost do not know what they are "receiving." And yes, I see your point.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You make loads of assumptions and are incorrect in your rational. Scripture is the final authority, however a book can help one understand it better and get to the scripture. Books that are obviously filled with man's opinion instead of the word of God are very obvious such as many titles that the charismatic churches use. Recently I tossed several books in the trash because the book had too much psychology or man's opinion other than the scripture.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charismatic and Seeker churches.

18. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Furr shurr

I was thinking he simply means that the music style is from Satan, just as deceit is from Satan.

No trickery in mind, just the style.

19. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

20. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Ha! I had forgot about that! Apparently I'm a prophet and didn't know it. Posted today:

The Beatles and CCM