1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Myth Of The Universal Invisible Church EXPLODED

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Alan Gross, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    VIII
    Usurps The Family and Kingdom Of God

"Many don't realize it, but the Universal theory usurps the Family of God, and the Kingdom of God as set forth in the Bible. There just isn't any place for the Family and Kingdom of God, if the Universal theory is true. But the Scriptures make a very clear distinction between the three. Let us get some exact distinctions, based thoroughly on the Scriptures.

"1 - WHAT IS THE FAMILY OF GOD?

"The Family of God includes all of the children of God in heaven and on earth.

"Proof: Ephesians 3:15, where Paul speaks of the "whole Family in heaven and on earth." The Family includes all believers, for we are told in Galatians 3 :26 - "Ye are all the children of God through faith in Jesus Christ."

"All believers are God's children regardless of time or age. Since the Old Testament saints were saved by faith in the Christ to come (Acts 10:43; Romans 4:16) they are all members of God's Family.

"And note that God's Family is much larger than the Kingdom or Church of God, for it now contains all of the saved from Abel to the last person saved today.

'God has only one Family. All believers are children and heirs of God.

"2 - WHAT IS THE KINGDOM OF GOD?

"The Kingdom of God includes all the saved on earth at any given time.

"In the parables in Matthew 13: the kingdom is used to include all professors.

"But in John 3:3-5; Matthew 16:19; 11:11; Luke 16:16; Romans 14:17; Colossians 1:13; John 18:36, the Kingdom is composed of all born again on the earth.

"What is often spoken of as "the spiritual kingdom" is composed only of the truly born again, and who have been "translated out of darkness into light and into the Kingdom of God's dear Son."

"In John 3 he plainly says that except one be born again, he cannot see - he cannot enter, the Kingdom of God.

"Recapitulating, the Family of God includes all of the saved of all ages, whether in heaven or on earth.

"The Kingdom of God includes that part of the Family of God who are on the earth NOW

"3 - WHAT IS THE 'CHURCH OF GOD?

"The church of God is never used of any institution, except of an assembly or congregation of baptized believers in some given locality.

"For example, "The church of God at Corinth." (1 Corinthians 1:12).

"As H. Boyce Taylor once expressed it:

"The local individual church is the only kind of church that God has on this earth today.

"There is only the Family of God composed of all of the redeemed of all ages in heaven and on earth.

"There is only one Kingdom of God, composed of all the born again on the earth now.

"There are thousands of churches of God on earth. Every individual Baptist Church is a church of God.

"When a man is born again, he is born into God's Family, and he is a member of God's Family forever.

"The relationship does not change. Whether in heaven or in earth, he is in God's Family.

"When he is born again, he also enters God's kingdom. This relationship is for life.

"When he dies he passes out of God's kingdom on earth, and enters "his heavenly kingdom." (See 2 Timothy 4:18).

"After he is born again, he is NOT YET IN a CHURCH OF GOD, but is now a scriptural subject for admission into a church of God.

"Note Acts 2:47 - "The Lord added to the church daily the saved."

"Church membership is not something that one gets with salvation, but a subsequent blessing he gets after salvation by being added to the church.

"Baptism is not essential for entrance into either the Family of God or the Kingdom of God, but Baptism IS ESSENTIAL to admission into a church of God.

"Men are born anew into the Family of God and Kingdom of God, but they are baptized into a church of God (water baptism) I Corinthians 12:13.

"The one body referred to by Paul in I Corinthians 12:13 was the church of God at Corinth.

"The local church at Corinth was the body of Christ at that place.

"The members of the church at Corinth belonged to only "ONE BODY" of Christ.

"That body of Christ probably did not contain all of the saved at Corinth (I Corinthians 1:2) and none of the saved anywhere else except at Corinth.

"Since they belonged to only "one body" and that was the local church at Corinth, Christ has no other kind of church or body except a local church

"If they had belonged to the local church at Corinth, which Paul said was a body of Christ, and then to the kind of church that some believe in, composed of all the saved everywhere, they would have belonged to two churches or bodies of Christ - one local and visible, the other universal and invisible.

"The New Testament knows nothing of any such confusion as this.

"The church which Paul called "the House of God" was a local church.

"The church which Paul said was "the pillar and ground of the truth" was a local church.

"The church to which Christ promised perpetuity (Matthew 16:18) was a local church, for He never spoke of any other kind.

"The meaning of ecclesia permits of no other kind."

"The statements just made will bear any sort of investigation, and the more investigation is made, the deeper will be come the conviction that Satan has palmed off a tremendous hoax with his Universal Invisible theory.

"Why do the Scriptures speak of the Kingdom of God and the Family of God, if there is no distinction to be made between these and the church of God?

"The Universal theory certainly engulfs the Family and Kingdom, and along with this likewise swallows up a lot of truth."

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Job 38:7, ". . . When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? . . ." And the angels too.

3. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heaven, where the throne of God is, is part of the creation. All created beings requires a place, and they can occupy only one place at any given time. Our Elohim is not like that. He is the creator of places. He has no needs. He was not created.

But, in order to redeem us God became a man. He is the God man. He will always be in a place.

Revelation 20:11
    And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

Angels are part of creation. They were created on day 4, it seems.

4. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without making it complicated or getting into arguments, the universal, invisible church is simply everyone who is born again.

We try by looking at fruit to determine who is born again, but man looks on the outward appearance, and God looks on the heart, so we are not always 100% sure. That’s why it’s invisible. In the physical realm, we see people come to church services and join the church , but we don’t know their heart for sure. Those people are the visible church, and some of them are actually born again Christians and some of them may not be. That’s the reason it’s called invisible.

Back to who is in the church, it’s everyone that the Holy Spirit places into the church. It is not Old Testament believers, in my opinion, nor is it angels, but only born again Christians. That’s the limit of it being universal.

I prefer to say the visible church, and the invisible church, and leave it at that, because we can see visibly the people who are members of the local assembly, but we cannot see the hearts of those whom the Holy Spirit has joined to the spiritual Body of Christ.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some will say there is no such thing as the "Universal church" because the Bible never mentions it. Well, in that case - I might supposed that they don't believe in the Trinity!
    I think Mr. W said it very simply. " the universal, invisible church is simply everyone who is born again."

I am able to fellowship with other (born-again) Christians since they are simply born again. ! I may disagree with some doctrines - (ie sprinkling, female pastors, speaking in tongues, - none of which will keep you out of heaven) but we can have fellowship.

Alan States: " but the Universal theory usurps the Family of God, and the Kingdom of God as set forth in the Bible. There just isn't any place for the Family and Kingdom of God, if the Universal theory is true."
    IMHO - that is just much ado about nothing -

For the past year the "universal (or invisible) church" of Oneida has been meeting every Friday at 12 noon - to pray for revival for our city. We are having a wonderful time of fellowship during this time.

Alan also states ""For example, "The church of God at Corinth." (1 Corinthians 1:12)."
    In that case - if we want to be Biblical - we should NOT use the name Baptist in our names rather - we should use the name of "church of God at (fill in the blank)

I am more concerned about (real) doctrine!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another point to consider--I believe we are in the Laodicean church age. It is a fact that the wheat (saved) and the tares (lost) grow together. They are in the same local assembly (church). Visibly, tares appear as wheat, until the harvest, when the wheat turns white and the tares do not.

It is another fact (sadly), that today there are local churches where the tares outnumber the wheat. Because they are "visible", does that mean they are actually members of the Body of Christ? No, for they are not born again.

There are even denominations today where at least the leadership is tares. I don't see them as the Body of Christ. I see them as false. God will judge them, not me, but I can only see what is visible. There may be some saved individuals in their midst, but since I can't know they are saved, they are visible to God, but invisible to me, but because I can't see them does not mean God does not see them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. W -
    About 3 years ago, I visited my home church

1) I thought i was walking into a night club! :Frown
    2) They had ended ALL support of all missionaries
    including one who went to the mission field from that church :eek:
    3) The reason for stopping mission support - they "needed" the money to
    fix up the building:mad: (they wanted to get rid of the windows):Thumbsdown
    (I would want the windows open so those passing by would hear the singing.)
    4) The message - well it was more of a childs Bible story
    5) No Sunday School - just a "morning worship"

There is no doubt that four of the first five would be rolling over in their graves.
    Pastor Swiitzer (founding pastor) is one reason in part that I am a pastor today
    Pastor Schultz is the pastor who baptized me. He also stated that the day that the GARBC went liberal - he would leave the GARBC.
    Pastor Thompson - game me excellent counsel - just prior to me joining the Army
    (the next pastor resigned due to improper activities. )
    The fifth pastor (I forget his name) arrived after I had joined the Army - only heard him preach once and that was at the 50th anniversary of the church) one of the best messages, I have ever heard.

Yet the church currently is running close to 200- in spite of the fact that several families I know personally have left that church for the reasons I noted above.

(thats all I can remember at the moment)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand. I left my old church because it was like a nightclub. So dark you needed a flashlight to see your Bible. Ceiling is painted totally black, to make it darker (I always think, "Men love darkness because their deeds are evil"), and the rock music from the rock band is SO LOUD I wore ear plugs every service and the wall of sound would nearly knock you down when you stepped in the door. All CCM music and they would repeat the chorus over and over and over. It was chanting to a false god, at least that's what it felt like to me. I guess I've gotten old and cranky. Anyhow, the pastor said if anyone didn't like it, they could leave. We left. We now attend a church that has the LIGHTS ON, we sing from the hymn book, and the most modern music is what I write myself (I make my own sound tracks and write the words and the musical score completely myself [I like to believe my music comes from the Holy Spirit but all are welcome to disagree]). It's so refreshing to be in a church now similar to what I grew up in (we do have a piano, of course, since it's Baptist, but not Primitive).

I genuinely hope they reach some people for Christ, but they will have to do it without me. It's just gone too worldly to suit me. A mixture of CCM and hymns I could probably abide, but I can't take it earplug-loud and I can't handle the darkness. AND they kowtow to the CRT stuff. I've never had problems with blacks and I don't see any reason to treat people differently. Treat 'em all the same. There's no bond nor slave, Jew nor Greek (nor black nor white) in Christ (paraphrasing Galatians).

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. W - one of my pet peeves is the so-called music program
    first - you are supposed to stand for 30-40 minutes and just "sing". while looking at the screen up front
    Second - with no hymn book - how are you supposed to sing with a melody
    Third they have no music director- (MD) I want someone to actually lead music - it is not necessary to sing every verse (oh thats hymn books) I like it when the MD has the ladies sing one verse - the men sing another verse - or at the end - the MD will say - lets sing that chorus one more time.. I have even at times ask the folks to read one verse (Baptists lie the most when they sing a song)* or how about song requests on a Sunday night (wait - are there any baptist churches on Sun pm?)

Yes, I prefer to have a "Hymn Sandwich"!

* I just started a thread on that subject

10. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I do not like, is singing the same hymns week after week. There’s over 600 hymns in the hymnbook—change it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t know what he means by “universal”. To me, it’s all the born-again believers.

“Local assembly” and Invisible”? Well, my Mom has been in Heaven over twenty years. She doesn’t assemble local to me and she’s invisible to me, but I sure believe she’s still part of the church.

I don’t know what they mean by “universal invisible church”, but I believe that describes most of the church, per my definition. I’ll try to look it up.

12. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible never uses the term visible church or invisible church. But the idea of the visible church versus the invisible church is a natural result of a biblical understanding of the doctrine of salvation. The visible church is the expression of Christianity that people can see: the gathering and practices of the individuals in various church buildings on Sundays. The invisible church is the true church, which only God can see: born-again believers, past, present, and future. Because not everyone who attends church or performs religious deeds is saved, the visible church includes unbelievers. The invisible church is comprised of the redeemed and sealed by God.

In some ways, the concept of the visible/invisible church correlates with the concept of the local/universal church. The difference is that the local church refers to one congregation who gathers in one building; the visible church encompasses all local churches, everywhere.

The visible church is easily identified by its religious trappings: church buildings, ministers or clergy, calendars, ordinances, ceremonies, denominations, etc. When someone says, “I go to Such-and-such Church,” he is referring to the visible church. When someone drives by a lake and sees some people being baptized, they are looking at part of the visible church.

To identify with the visible church is to accept the label of “Christian,” but, without a spiritual transformation initiated by the Spirit of God, the label is only that. Nominal Christianity fills a large part of the visible church. Demas forsook Paul “because he loved this present world” (2 Timothy 4:10); Demas was part of the visible church for a while, but he was never part of the invisible church, and he eventually showed his true colors (see 1 John 2:19).

The invisible church, comprised of all the redeemed, is spiritual and heavenly and not of this world (John 18:36). As Jesus explained, “The coming of the kingdom of God is not something that can be observed, nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is among you” (Luke 17:20–21).

The invisible church does not need the physical accoutrements that make the visible church visible. Take away the liturgy from the visible church, and the invisible church will remain. Religious ceremony makes no difference to the invisible church: “Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is the new creation” (Galatians 6:15). Burn the church building down, and the believers still comprise the church.

The visible things of this world, including church denominations, church buildings, hymnals, prayer books, and pews, will all pass away because they are temporary (1 Corinthians 7:31). The invisible things of God will never pass away because they are as eternal as heaven (Luke 12:33).

In John 4:20, the Samaritan woman at the well told Jesus, “You Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.” In our terms, the Samaritan woman was speaking of the visible church. Jesus answered by defining the invisible church: “Believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. . . . A time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth” (John 4:21–24).

All of us should make God “visible” to the world in which we live, “for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose” (Philippians 2:13). To do that, we must be part of the invisible church, “made . . . alive with Christ . . . and seated . . . with him in the heavenly realms” (Ephesians 2:5–6).

gotquestions.org

13. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is something interesting to consider.

Ga 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:

Which local church did Paul persecute? None? He persecuted believers in Christ, particularly Jewish believers in Christ. What does that mean. It means believers in Christ makes up the body of Christ and not just local congregations. Paul lumped all the believers he had been persecuting into one lump and called it "the church" and said he had persecuted "it.." He did not say he persecuted "them."

Another thing that was said;

Ac 9:1 And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,
    2 And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.
    3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
    4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
    5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

How can this be? People who understand that the church is the body of Christ will understand these words which Jesus spoke to Paul. They will understand that there is only one body of Christ and all who are born again are in the one body. Thus, Paul was persecuting the body of Christ no matter their geographical location.

BTW, the Bible never uses the term universal church. One should learn Bible terms and argue from that perspective.

The scripture do address the specific beginning of the church. It leaves absolutely no doubt that the church began on Pentecost in Acts two. Bible believers will affirm this fact. I will give the scriptures that prove this if anyone wants them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good points. I do, however, believe the church started before Pentecost. At least by the time of the Lord's resurrection. I would have to study more to know if it extended further back.

15. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Universal Invisible Church is not a myth... But you have to die first!... And the Lords Church fills the Universe... Brother Glen:)

Btw... Why do you brethren have to make everything so hard?

#35 tyndale1946, Apr 17, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  16. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there any scripture you have for this idea?

What is "the spiritual Body of Christ"?

It is not just that the "Universal Church" is never mentioned, it is that nothing in the Bible 'teaches' anything at all about anything like it.

I guess you realize that this invisible thing you are proposing is invisible.

And, I don't know if you saw any of the contents of the O.P. book referenced; The Myth Of The Universal Invisible Church EXPLODED (Section1) by Roy Mason The Myth Of The Universal Invisible Church EXPLODED

It explains the reality of the myth.

Great.

To you, in your mind, maybe, yes.

I feel for you about your mother, however, "part of the church", is making the concept of a "church", as something that doesn't exist. A church by the Bible definition is a local assembly every time it is used.

"but I sure believe she’s still part of the church." As a saved soul, she is a part of God's Family, which consists of all saved souls at all times, from the Old Testament and The New Testament.

Maybe, as the Bible defines The Kingdom of God, which is what all saved souls are a part of; and that "is a natural result of a biblical understanding of the doctrine of salvation."

The Bible teaches that there is "one body", i.e., one kind of body = a local body of assembled believers. The Bible does not teach that there are two kinds of churches. The word translated "church" doesn't allow for anything else.

Oh my, how this grieves the Lord God, His Holy Spirit, and the Lord Jesus, Who died for His kind of church and the only kind that has ever existed.

"The invisible church is the true church". As I mentioned before, this is very rough stuff to be asserting, before God, especially given that there is no scripture to support the first thread of such a thing.

The Family of God is "born-again believers, past, present, and future," in the Bible.

2 Timothy 4:10; "For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia."

"Demas was part of the visible church for a while"?

1 John 2:19; "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us."

"but he was never part of the invisible church, and he eventually showed his true colors"?

You made a jump from 2 Timothy to I John to get that and say he was lost?

A little from Gill; "Of this person
    (Demas); see Gill on Colossians 4:14.

"It does not appear by what is said in this clause, and in the following, that he entirely apostatized; he might forsake the apostle, and yet not forsake Christ and his interest, or make shipwreck of faith and a good conscience:

"his faith might be right, though low, and his love sincere, though not fervent; and through a fear of persecution, and loss of life, he might be tempted to leave the apostle, and withdraw from Rome, for his own safety;

"which though it was far from being commendable in him, yet may be accounted for in this state of frailty and imperfection, consistent with the grace of God; and it should seem that he afterward was delivered from this temptation, and returned to the apostle,
    Colossians 4:14."

This verse references the Kingdom of God, as you may know.

36 "Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world:
    if my kingdom were of this world,
    then would my servants fight,
    that I should not be delivered to the Jews:
    but now is my kingdom not from hence."

So, of all the learned men that have searched high and low for anything indicating a concept like "a Universal Invisible Church", in the Bible, do you think you have found it here?

Why is there no mention of anything similar?

21 "Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.

22 "Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

23 "But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

24 "God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."

con't

17. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    "To do that, we must be part of the invisible church". This is quite a thought you are having, but I don't believe you will find any support for it.

Except by simply assuming it.

Where is "the Invisible Church", in this passage?

5 "Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

6 "And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:"

Gill; "and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

"Christ is entered into heaven as the forerunner, to take possession of it for his people, in their name; and to prepare mansions of glory for them, and in these they sit;

"which imports honour, pleasure, rest from labour and weariness, and safety and security: and what adds to the happiness of this is, that it is together with all the saints, and with Christ himself; and in these they are made to sit already;

"which is so said, because of the certainty of it, for the same glory Christ has, they shall have;

"and because of their right to such a blessing;

"and chiefly because Christ their head is set down therein, who sustains their persons, bears their names on his heart, and represents them."

"The Universal Invisible Church is not a myth...", except it doesn't exist in the Bible or anywhere else except the imaginations of men(?)

"But you have to die first!" To go to heaven? That is where the "Invisible Church" is?

Are you guys grabbing at straws or what?

excerpts from:

The Origin and Nature of the Church
    By Davis W. Huckabee

Preface

"This study began as a conviction that the local church, "the pillar and ground of the truth," was not being given the regard due to it as set forth in the New Testament.

"In the modern religious world, humanistic theology and humanistic programs and organizations are exalted out of all due proportions to the disparagement of Divine truth and order.

"The author is convinced that one of the most outstanding examples of this is the great regard that is paid to the "Universal Church."

"Yet only a moment's reflection will manifest that, in the words of Dr. S.E. Anderson (The First Church, pp. 96-97), this supposed universal church has -

No address, locale, or building.
    No body, tangibility, or definable framework.
    No meetings, assemblies, or meeting places.
    No discipline.
    No baptism.
    No Lord's Supper.
    No deacons or deaconesses.
    No pastors or assistant pastors.
    No choir, organist or pianist.
    No treasury, collection, or budget.
    No missionary collection or fellowship fund.
    No moderator, chairman, or president.
    No clerk, records, or membership roll.
    No prayer meetings.
    No business meetings.
    No evangelistic meetings.
    No ordination of pastors or election of trustees.
    No messengers or delegates.
    No identity.
    No commission.
    No responsibility.
    No organization.
    No association with sister churches.
    No missionaries.
    No constitution.
    No by-laws or rules of order.
    No name.

" - that, in a word, it is a non-entity;
    little wonder that such a theory is so popular,
    for it demands nothing of anyone,
    antagonizes no one,
    and accomplishes nothing,
    but must depend upon the members of the local church for its whole existence;

"yet it gets all the honor and glory, while the local church, which has done all the work, gets only scorn and disrespect...

"The conviction still abides that when the Apostle to the Gentiles said "To Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end," (Ephesians 3:21).

"He had reference to the local body. There is but "one body" (Ephesians 4:4), it is true, and this one body is the church, (Ephesians 1:23);

"yet it is equally evident that the church is not numerically "one" else the word would never appear in the plural form, which it does over thirty-five times in the New Testament;

"clearly then, this body must be "one" generically - "one" so far as kind is concerned - and that one kind a local body.

"Proof of this is to be seen in that more than nine out of every ten usages of this word in the New Testament refer to some specific local congregation of saints, and the dozen or so other usages do not conflict with this idea, but are simply abstract, generic or institutional usages of the word, none of which necessitate the existence of a "universal church" to fulfill the meaning of the word or its usage.

"Therefore, the sooner God's people get rid of the hopes of an easy Christianity, manifested in some sort of Universal Church which requires no labor or loyalty, sanctity or soundness, devotedness or discrimination, the sooner they will be prepared to studiously inquire of the local church what its requirements are for membership, what its reasons for existence are, how its members may fulfill their duties, what its history has been, etc.

"It is with the hope that those who have previously held the Universal Church theory will be led to a prayerful re-examination of this theory in the light of the New Testament and that those who have already recognized that the church of the New Testament is always and ever a local congregation will be strengthened in this knowledge, that the author sends this booklet forth.

"It is his prayer that the great Head of the Church will be pleased to use this humble effort to get "glory in the church" until His glorious and triumphant return. "Even so, come, Lord Jesus," (Revelation 22:20).
    Davis W. Huckabee - April 15, 1970

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do believers who go on to be with our Lord (2 Corinthians 5:8) remain visible?

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Yet only a moment's reflection will manifest that, in the words of Dr. S.E. Anderson (The First Church, pp. 96-97), this supposed universal church has -

No address, locale, or building. Thje "visible" church is NOT a building
    No body, tangibility, or definable framework. We do in our city
    No meetings, assemblies, or meeting places. We meet weekly for prayer
    No discipline. Actually we do -- certain groups we will not participate
    No baptism. Actually, we did that one month - a joint Baptism
    No Lord's Supper. We will have to plan on that!
    No deacons or deaconesses. We are working on having a rescue - which is the purpose of deacons (they are NOT leaders of the local church
    No pastors or assistant pastors.The local church has a pastor and together...
    No choir, organist or pianist. Yes we do
    No treasury, collection, or budget.Yes we do - & sent to Missions
    No missionary collection or fellowship fund. see above
    No moderator, chairman, or president. Yes, we have a moderator
    No clerk, records, or membership roll.
    No prayer meetings. Every Friday
    No business meetings. Not needed yet
    No evangelistic meetings. Not yet
    No ordination of pastors or election of trustees. responsibility of local church
    No messengers or delegates. For what reason
    No identity. OPEC - Oneida Pastors Evangelical Council
    No commission. Pray w/out ceasing - and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, (Oneida)
    No responsibility. We are responsible for each other
    No organization. OPEC
    No association with sister churches. Yes we do!
    No missionaries. We each are missionaries - Gods man doing Gods work, in Gods way, at Gods time.......
    No constitution. Using the same on that Peter used when he preached on Pentecost
    No by-laws or rules of order. see above
    No name .OPEC

" - that, in a word, it is a non-entity; It is!:Laugh
    [/QUOTE]

20. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know I was quoting MrW, here, right?

"To do that, we must be part of the invisible church, “made . . . alive with Christ . . . and seated . . . with him in the heavenly realms” (Ephesians 2:5–6)."

Anyway, 8 "We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord."

And the question is, "How do believers who go on to be with our Lord (2 Corinthians 5:8) remain visible?"

And I don't understand the question.

There must be some definition of something you are going by to ask about remaining visible.

Maybe you think all saved people are in the one big "church"(?) and you're asking how can "the church" be only a visible local body of baptized believers? and have members of the visible church die and go to Heaven(?) and still remain visible?

That's as close as I can get to trying to figure out what you are asking.

Believers who go on to be with the Lord remain visible in the Spirit realm, with God, of course.

We've had people on their deathbed talking to departed loved ones they could see and told them, "hold on, I'll be right there", then turn to us and say "I'm going on, now..." And pass away.

But that doesn't help you.

Departed saints are certainly not visible to us on Earth.

How do they remain visible?

See, I don't know what you're asking.

They are visible to the Lord.

What else?