1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Nature of Fundamentalism

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Paul33, Apr 5, 2005.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not correct. The "New Evangelicalism" is not a denial of "secondary separation" it is a repudiation of seperation entirely. "An up-to-date strategy for the evangelical cause must be based upon the principle of infiltration." (Ockenga). New Evangelicalism repudiates the ecclesiology of fundamentalism. (Also Ockenga).

"While reaffirming the theological view of fundamentalism, this address repudiated its ecclesiology and its social theory. The ringing call for a repudiation of separatism and the summons to social involvement received a hearty response from many evangelicals." (Ockenga, Foreword to The Battle for the Bible by Harold Lindsell, page 11).

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, how would you put it, Dr. C?

The thought that comes to my mind is

3. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

TC,

The proof is in the pudding. Ockenga spoke only for himself. While many responded to his message, they didn't buy it hook, line, and sinker. New Evangelicalism can't be defined so nicely that everyone who was labeled one, then and now, believed and practiced non-separation. The vast majority of those who were called New Evangelicals did not fellowship with apostates and modernists.

Schools like Moody, TEDS, Grace, Wheaton, etc. do not embrace fellowship with apostates. Not then, not now. So Ockenga's words while revealing his agenda of seeking to influence the mainline denominations by infiltration was hardly put into practice by most "New Evangelicals." It was hardly put into practice at all.

I submit that most who are labeled New Evangelical then and now are those who were sick of incessant splitting and multiple levels of separation as practiced by the "fundamentalists." It wasn't good enough to just withdraw from the mainline denominations, they then turned on each other to see who could be the most separate. It was and is sickening, and those who thought so are slandered with the label "new evangelical." But I think most conservative evangelicals today are the rightful heirs of the term "historic fundamentalism."

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    </font>[/QUOTE]William Ashbrook's small book "Evangelicalism: The New Neutralism" says roughly the same thing.

He says that the New Evangelicalism was:

1. Born in Compromise.
    2. Nurtured in pride of intellect.
    3. Growing by appeasement of evil.
    and
    4. Doomed by the judgment of the Word.

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul33, I think you may have missed my point. I contend that those you call "New Evangelicals" don't fit the description given by the man who coined the phrase so they are not, technically New Evangelical.

They are Fundamentalist in doctrine while being moderate in practice.

I believe the average fundamentalist today paints with a brush much too broad and labels anyone who disagrees with him as "New Evangelical" having little or no understanding of what that term actually means.

In fact most of the writers of "The Fundamentals" would be labeled "New Evangelical" by most so-called "Fundamental Baptists" of today.

[​IMG]

6. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

TC,

Yes. I agree.

My point, and I may be wrong, in fact, fundamentalists know I'm wrong, is that the 40s split between separating fundamentalists and non-separating new evangelicals is not that cut and dried.

I believe that the majority of those who gravitated to the neo-evangelial position did so not because they wanted to fellowship with apostates and engage modernists in dialogue, but to distance themselves from the secondary separation of militant fundamentalism. So Ockenga's rhetoric was either over-stated, misinterpreted, or both.

Denominations like the CBA or EFCA can hardly be seen as seeking out fellowship with modernists, then or now.

I do not deny, however, that neo-evangelicalism as it has developed and become a catch word for non-fundamentalist, non-mainline protestantism has become the home of what's left over. I would like to limit "evangelical" to the fundamentals of the faith, inerrancy, and primary separation. But alas, that leaves us at conservative evangelical or historic fundamentalist.

What do you think?

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tend to agree with one caveat. The "separation" of the 1940s and 50s was, as you say below, over "secondary" separation rather than separation from apostasy, theological liberalism, and modernism. That separation took place in the 1920s and 30s starting with the blowup on the floor of the Northern Baptist Convention at the 1920 convocation.
    Exactly.
    Well, I was coming at it from the other direction. As Harold Ockenga is the one who coined the term "New Evangelical" it is his right to define it any way he pleases, so, by his definition the CBA, BGC, and even in the early years the NEA, were not "New Evangelical" but rather moderate fundamentalists who reject the splintering effects of so-called "secondary separation."
    Agreed, which is why I consider them to be fundamental, not as militant as some, but fundamental just the same.
    But isn't a "conservative evangelical" what an "historic fundamentalist" was when fundamentalism was originally created and defined?

I would rather define "New Evangelicalism" as Ockenga did, including those who were willing to, as Ockenga stated in the forward to "The Battle For The Bible," restate Christian theology in accordance with the need of the times, . . . reexamination of theological "problems" such as the antiquity of man, the universality of the flood, God's method of creation, and others.

The rest, who believe the fundamentals of the faith as stated by the BIOLA articles, I would call fundamentalists, but assign to them the discriminative categories of "Militant," "Moderate," and "Modified" Fundamentalists as Dr. George W. Dollar (a student of Ockenga) did in his book "A History of Fundamentalism in America."

I believe that presents a more reality based scenario. The only thing it doesn't encompass would be the pseudo-fundamentalistic radicals who think that anybody who doesn't agree with them 100% is an apostate. But, in my opinion, they are irrelevant anyway. [​IMG]

8. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

TC,

Agreed!

Yes, I think you are right. Conservative Evangelicals use that label because hyper fundamentalists have called them evangelicals. But Dollar did refer to some fundamentalists as modified fundamentalists. Thanks for reminding me of that.

So what label should we wear, assuming that we have to wear one? Modified fundamentalists, historic fundamentalists, or conservative evangelicals?

I've been referring to myself as a conservative evangelical, but lately I have come to appreciate more the term "historic fundamentalist." I know, however, that those still solidly in the fundamentalist camps are claiming that term for themselves and attempting to force me to call myself a conservative evangelical. Still fighting over names! [​IMG]

9. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

TC,

I agree with you about what you claim New Evangelical shoud refer to. But militant fundamentalists push all other fundamentalists into the camp of the "evangelicals."

So what you are saying is that historic fundamentalists have allowed militant fundamentalists the right to label us as something we are not!

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I refer to myself as an Historic Fundamentalist.
    [​IMG]

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I don't allow it. I correct it every time I hear it. And, I am a Militant Fundamentalist in the Historic Fundamentalist tradition. The pseudo-fundamentalists who label all those they disagree with as "neos" are neither historic nor militant fundamentalists. They are just ignorant whackos! :D :D :D

12. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

If a label doesn't mean the same thing to a majority of readers, is there any value in the label?

It seems to me that, in the last twenty-five years especially, the eggs have been scrambled beyond the point of ever getting them back into their respective shells.

13. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Hyper-fundamentalists think that they are "historic" fundamentalists and that secondary separation ad infinitum is the true fundamentalist position.

Hyper-fundamentalists call fundamentalists who fellowship with other believers who might be tainted with new-evangelical friends, psuedo-fundamentalists, a term BJU used to label Falwell in the 80s.

Hyper-fundamentalists also call fundamentalists who fellowship with evangelicals, new evangelicals. Anyone who attends TEDS, Grace, DTS, etc. and serves in the BGC, CBA, EFCA, etc. are evangelicals in their eyes, even though most of these groups are historic fundamentalists of the 20s/30s type.

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Imbalance is overcorrection. The reason that many have seperated themselves into such a state to be labled hyper-fundamentalist is because they did see a problem with New Evangelicalism and they did separate from it, but the pendulum often swings to far in the other dicrection.