1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Nature of Theology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Mar 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This seems, to me, to be an unnecessary complication of what should be a simple Gospel message. Christ died for my sins, therefore my sins are paid for, hung on the cross, and I bear them no more. I am heaven bound. How does that differ from someone for whom Christ died but is not heaven bound?
    Does the "everything" include the souls in hell, the demons, and Satan himself? Are they all also to be reconciled to God through Christ's sacrifice?

I believe the ability to repent, believe, and obey are the products of regeneration. Is that what you are saying?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I sincerely have no clue as to what you are referring, but I do know that I have not edited your posts (other than your first one which I PM'd you about....I took it outside of my quote so we could read it).

Now if you are speaking of summary and mistakes (like when you said that was referring to your beliefs as Gnostic heresy when in fact I was not), then I will grant I could have misunderstood something you said. But please be very careful when you accuse me of editing your posts. I understand mistakes, but where you are going is more serious than mere misunderstanding or oversight.

My suggestion is to handle this via PM (you can invite others to the conversation as well) so as not to hijack this thread and risk attacking another on what could be misunderstanding.
    Personally, I think that you know if I have an issue with your post I will PM you (as I've done before) or I will talk to you on the phone (as we have done before). I know, however, that people are different so you do what ever you feel appropriate and we'll go from there.

The ball is in your court. Let's see where you are led, where you choose to go from here.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The heaven bound part? Laugh

We can say that Christ died for our sins, and that WE have been purchased with a price. I am not denying that simple truth at all. Your statement, however, concerned my view of "limited atonement," which is more than a simple "Christ died for me" type of statement.

Being that Paul goes to the trouble of specifying everything except the Father, I suppose so. I think that those who are lost will also be resurrected, but to condemnation. So yes, this is a reconciliation.
    I am saying that I understand that to be what you believe, but I believe it to be a part of (not a product of) regeneration.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is what I was referring to. You pm me then I look and if you were trying to pull my post apart from yours I get that...
    But the result was....the last half of my post disappeared, then you said I spoke against the very thing that I posted in the missing second half of my post.

As far as pm goes.....no....I am not going there as I have also seen things I posted in pm Be twisted into something I did not say.....
    All posting with you will be in the open and public until I can establish an element of trust....
    As to no longer derail this thread I will start a new thread to deal with this....

#84 Iconoclast, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How in the world did we ever give you that impression? Everyone who believes is saved. That statement is not just bible truth, it is absolute bible truth. All the saved believe. I am not sure what you mean by "it lacked the luster of a well developed theology." My entire point for this thread is that, before we can study the rest of Theology we must first come to grips with biblical soteriology if, for no other reason, than the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit, neither can he know them, because they require Spiritual discernment to be understood.

If we don't get our Soteriology correct, our Christology will, necessarily, be flawed. And if our Christology is flawed then our Theology of the Godhead will be equally flawed. And if our understanding of the Godhead is flawed all the rest of our Theology will suffer from that flaw.

That seems to me to be a distinction without a difference. Their faith is the result of their regeneration. They are not given an option to believe as a result of their regeneration, they are given faith. They believe.

And nobody else in this thread has indicated such a time lapse either. Regeneration, faith, repentance, the desire for obedience are all instantaneous, simultaneous with regeneration.

The Ordo Salutus is not temporal, but logical. It is expounded, not to generate a sequence of time, but a logical sequence that disabuses us of any false concept of "innate" faith, or that a lost man must repent first, or muster up some faith first, or has something innate in him that can be exercised unto salvation. The Ordo Salutus is to emphasize that "salvation is of the Lord" and not the result of any innate faith, or goodness, or acceptability, or merit on the part of man.

Lost man not only cannot come to Christ, he will not come to Christ. His lost condition prevents it.

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, fair enough. How else can it be expressed? It seems to me to come down to two choices. Either He died for me or He didn't. Is there some 3rd alternative I have missed?

I think you and I have a very different definition of "reconciliation." My understanding of "reconciliation" is that element of salvation that refers to the results of atonement. Reconciliation is the end of the estrangement, caused by sin, between God and those who are reconciled. How do you reconcile the lost, the demons, and Satan being reconciled (do you see what I did there? :D ) to God but still be estranged? Aren't estrangement and reconciliation exact opposites?
    Again, isn't that a distinction without a difference? If not, what is the difference?

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must have misread what you wrote. I could have sworn you said:
    If you did not post that, who did?

And again. You say Calvinism answers yes. Except none I know of do.

I don't believe faith is a result of being saved. I believe faith is the result of regeneration, which results in our salvation.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got the impression starting with Internet Theologian’s comment about thinking Calvinists just regurgitate their beliefs (he has levied that unfounded charge in the past) and that I am saying Calvinists and Arminians have it wrong but I have the truth (I don't say I have that absolute truth...which is my point of the OP). Icon added to that men over thinking and trying to find a middle road (as if there were only two choices). Your comment about creating complex situations capped off my conclusion.

My statement was a passage of Scripture, that we repent and believe (as I believe these are a part of, not a product of or a process to, salvation). Those who will be saved are those who believe, those who will not be saved are those who will not believe (here looking at that final salvation), but this is God’s work. God takes out our old heart, puts in a new one. He puts a new spirit in us…puts His Spirit in us. At that point we are not, IMHO, unbelievers without faith. That is not complicated theology. It is “repent and believe”…two words describing one thing.

I understand that Ordo Salutus is not temporal, but logical. I disagree that it is necessary to divide salvation into logical orders. But I understand the concept.

Perhaps I’ll answer the next part a bit later. I’m a little disgusted with this thread (not you) and am starting to decide it’s not worth it.

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no serious disagreement with IT's comment that many non-calvinists think calvinists simply regurgitate what they have been taught. But the same is true on the other side of the aisle. Many calvinists believe arminians simply regurgitate what they have been taught.

Sometimes that is correct and sometimes it is wrong.

I understood you to be saying that none of us has a complete knowledge of the scriptures and therefore none of us can claim absolute understanding. And with that I agree. :)

However, I do believe we tend to over-think some things, making the simple complex. I know I do. When I do so I tend to make things more difficult than they need to be and it is only when I get back to the simplicity of Christ that the light begins to dawn in my otherwise clouded thinking. :)

By the way, I only use the term "calvinist" as a form of short-hand. I am certainly not a "Calvinist" in the normal usage of that term. I do not self-identify as a "Calvinist" because the word itself engenders so much needless strife.

I am a Particular Baptist. I believe in Particular Redemption. I believe Calvin was wrong on many things. But he was right in his Soteriology. But I am an Historic, Particular, Chilliastic Baptist. But try not to over-think it! :)

And nobody has suggested we were "unbelievers without faith" after being regenerated or having His New Spirit in us. I am not sure where you got that impression. Maybe a result of over-thinking something we said? :D

The mind of God is too immense for us to comprehend. In order for us to come to any small understanding of His Eternal Truth it is necessary for us to examine only one small part at a time. When doing so we run the risk of emphasizing that one small portion over the rest of His Eternal Truth until such time as we isolate and examine another small portion when we again emphasize that small portion over the rest.

Because of our human limitations it is necessary for us to examine Eternal Truth in time even though that imposes a temporal limitation on Eternity. But as our finite minds are incapable of comprehending Infinity we have no other recourse. We simply lack the capacity to grasp all of His Eternal Truth is a single giant bite. Therefore we form logical constructs such as the Ordo Salutus. :)
    Hang in there. So far the thread has been very enlightening. :)

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the reason that I, perhaps unjustly, made that conclusion. I agree with you completely here. Several months ago I made the statement that far too many in churches hold a belief that they can neither defend or understand. I don't mean this directed at one denomination, but in general. ITs reply then was his reply here. So I do apologize if I took his comments as directed in my direction.

And for the most part I have also found this thread interesting. Unfortunately it seems to have departed from its original topic (except perhaps as illustration). But it has been interesting.

Sent from my TARDIS

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have said for years that I am appalled by so many Christians who know what they believe but don't have a clue why they believe it and could not defend their beliefs if their lives depended on it.

And remember this is coming from a guy who spent over 40 years in vocational ministry, 25 of those years as a Seminary Professor.

I once had a student tell me, in class, that he was pre-trib. Fine. I lean that way myself. But I asked him to give a biblical reason he was pre-trib. He just looked at me and sputtered. He knew what he believe but did not know why he believed it.

The same is true of many who self-identify as a "non-calvinist" (I won't use "Arminian" as most Arminians don't self identify as Arminians because they have no clue what an Arminian actually is).

They have been taught: Calvinism - - - Bad. Bad. Bad Calvinism.

And the same is true of many who self-identify as a "Calvinist."

They have been taught: Arminianism - - - Bad. Bad. Bad Arminianism. Good Calvinism. Good. Good.

And that. unfortunately, has plumbed the depth of their Theological acumen. :(

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see bad Arminianism creeping into our churches on a daily basis. Not really, because one can't see Arminianism and if we could I wouldn't see it daily, but as illustration.

I attend a SBC that affirms OSAS (which, BTW, I don't like because of it's presentation). We have people who have left to attend a neighboring free-will baptist chruch and others who move to a Nazerine church. When talking to them they will explain the reasons for the move, but you know what? It is NEVER doctrine. As far as they know the doctrine is the same. We have got to do a better job as a whole teaching doctrine.

Sometimes I think that churches are merely trying to provide the right answers. "The answer is 'C'." It doesn't matter why C is the answer as long as you know it is.

You will probably disagree with me here, but I would rather attend a free-will church that knows what it believes than a Reformed church that only knows what to believe. You can dialogue with the first, but you will always just be a heretic to the latter.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok...I'm better now. We're working with my mother-in-law (she lived with us for the past several years but we had to move her into a nursing home due to dementia). Add to that finishing my tax returns and I've had a fairly rough weekend.
    That is actually what this entire thread was about.
    I agree. The problem is that sometimes our simplicity differs depending on our presuppositions.

Arminianism Bad....Calvinism Good....Good...Calvinism....huh?.....your brain washing technique is starting to take. :confused:

I don't think so. It think that it was an overreaction to a belief that I viewed as being contributed to me. It did take a bit of over-thinking to come up with it, but no more than I've seen throughout this thread. I didn't even get a brain cramp (but I did stretch a bit before thinking).

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Doctrine is primary.

I attend an SBC church in Texas that is pretty run of the mill SBC. We are very conservative (sometimes to a fault) and firmly believe in eternal security (and I agree OSAS is usually poorly presented). Out of our average Sunday morning attendance of around 700 (of which I pastor an outreach ministry to a local senior retirement park with around 140-150 in attendance) I would guess I am in the minority soteriologically. Perhaps as many as 1/3 of us could be described as Founders Friendly. But we make sure it never becomes a matter for divisiveness. My public stance is "What matters is that you are in Christ, not how you think you got there!"

Most people who leave good bible preaching churches do so for all the wrong reasons, usually over something minor.

When I was in Seminary the Seminary President once said that in his 60 years of ministry he had never had a church split. He had been a logger as a young man and said when he was splitting a log sometimes he would miss and only get a little sap and bark. He would then say he never had a church split, just lost a little bark and sap.

The Seminary Dean of Faculty was a little more pointed. He used to say, of those who left for silly reasons, "Even the Body of Christ needs a bowel movement now and then. Makes the rest of the Body more healthy." :D

• Like Like x 2
  15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul seemed to think Doctrine was very important.

1 Timothy 4:6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them:

5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;

2 Timothy 3:10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Titus 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,

:)

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. But I also realize that there are places where Christians will not agree. This does not always mean that one neglects Scripture as sometimes people reason out things and understand things differently.

You said that the discussion starts with soteriology. We may not completely agree, but I do believe that brethern can move forward as long the disagreements are known.

Like I said before, I do believe in the depravity of man, unconditional election, particular redemption, efficacious grace, and the eternal security of the believer. I hope that you can at least understand why I reacted against some comments, even if my reaction was misplaced.

I think that we may differ in how we view those doctrines, I believe it is mostly in the extent of the atonement. Here I agree with John Piper (who, depending on who you ask, is a Calvinist). For all men the death of Christ is the foundation of the free offer of the gospel. Whosoever believes will not perish – God sent His Son for everyone. God is the Savior of all people (1 Tim. 4:10) in that Christ died to provide a valid offer of forgiveness to all, and everyone who trusts Christ would be saved. When the gospel is preached, Christ is offered to all without discrimination. And this offer is legitimate. Piper future notes that the gospel does not offer a possibility of salvation, it IS the possibility of salvation. What is offered is Christ.

All men are the intended beneficiaries of the cross in some sense. Christ is the savior of all men, especially of those who believe. But he is especially the Savior of those who believe. Jesus died for all men, but he did not die for all men in the same sense. He died as a propitiation for the sins of men (as Calvin notes, the world being all man indiscriminately). But He died to save the Church.

So do I affirm particular redemption? Yes. Do I believe that the Atonement as a whole is limited to the elect? No, as this sometimes gets carried too far IMHO. Do I believe that on the Cross all was forgiven? I believe that our Sin (our sinfulness, our fallen nature) was forgiven at the Cross but that we still have to be forgiven for our sins throughout our lives (based on the Cross, in Christ as Mediator).

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no question about it. The sacrifice of Christ fulfilled all righteousness, including the authority to preach the gospel to every person. And nobody here has said differently. The gospel call is extended to all mankind, He died for all in that way, but that does not imply that the application of the atonement is to all.

In some sense, certainly.
    Exactly. His sacrifice benefits all mankind, but saves only the elect.

But there was a whole lot more happening on the cross that just the atonement. The atonement is limited to the elect. But the benefits of the cross can, in some sense, be extended to all men.

The idea that our sins after salvation are not paid for on the cross is a dangerous proposition, if that is what you are saying. It is the cross and the cross alone that pays the penalty for our sin. And that penalty was paid, in full, on the cross. Our confession has nothing to do with our relationship to Christ, only our fellowship. If we fail to "ask forgiveness" for a sin what happens? You are aware, I am sure, that the New Testament never teaches that we should "ask forgiveness." Only confess our sins and thus claim the forgiveness already purchased on the cross. And that only to restore fellowship, never relationship.

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand. My wife and I cared for my mother for the last 10 years of her life (she lived to be 102). Then we cared for my wife's mother for the last 10 years of her life (my wife is younger than I and her mother was only 17 years older than me).

It was a great burden. But one we gladly shared. And we miss them both. :)

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In part, I believe our disagreement involved definition. I was taking the work on the Cross as a whole, and calling that the Atonement. So the benefits of the Cross that are extended in some sense to all man (1 Timothy 4:10) are part of what I am calling the Atonement (even though they are not necessarily restricted to the redemption of the elect). I do see this as a reconciliation (granted, that is another place where we may agree yet disagree in terms of definition). And there is a real sense where the Atonement is not just the cross but extends to salvation as a whole (to include the Resurrection, application, faith, sanctification, etc.). I do not think that we are very far apart on this aspect.
    I am not saying that they are not paid for "on the cross." I am suggesting that we are in need of a Mediator when we do sin, that Christ perpetually intercedes on our behalf. Now, whether this is allegorical to our position in Christ with forgiveness effected in the past or if it is "in time" is something that I am not very dogmatic about. I believe that when we sin Christ mediates on our behalf based on the finished work of the cross. But also believe that when we sin that sin is legitimate (not a forgiven sin just taking place in time, so to speak). So I do believe that there is a sense where we, today as believers, pray "forgive our debts." Any and all forgiveness is based on the Cross. It was there that we were purchased.

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m still going back catching up on questions. :)
    My comment was that Arminianism answers “yes” to there being a point where man truly believes but is not yet saved. I did post that. But you attributed that belief to me when I was saying that Arminianism present the lost as believing in order to be saved. You misread what I wrote.
    Here I was stating my understanding of what was being presented. The Calvinists that I know do not believe that man is saved and then believes (that there is an actual point where one is saved but without faith). But I do understand your distinction (now) between regeneration and salvation. I still believe that it is more complicated than looking at salvation as a whole, but I understand why you arrive at your conclusion.

My experience has been that I fit in very well with Calvinists, particularly “Classical Calvinism”, but often find myself at odds with Internet Forum Calvinists. I almost went to a Reformed Baptist church a while back, but a group on this board (and another forum) made me reconsider. (I’m not kidding here, my wife and I intended on attending a small Reformed Baptist Church that Paul Washer spoke at a couple of years ago, but after looking at this board I reconsidered and she flatly refused….and not because of the theology). But like I said, insofar as soteriology goes I am calvinistic...but not a Calvinist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.