1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The New Interpreters’s Study Bible (no doubt by accident) makes a case for Preterism!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Logos1, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

..............lol

2. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

Tisk, tisk

Well, JF would you be quoting an actual bible verse here or trying to slip a little futurist commentary in on us and pass it off as actual verses?

3. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

Yawn

As many times as that question has been answered by Preterist here on the BB I wonder what you hoped to accomplish by asking it again? I would have to surmise you are simply feeling sort of defeated in your attempt to make a case for a future return of Christ and are trying to divert attention else where. Hmmm, could we be feeling a bit desperate in defending futurist ideology?

Answering this question yet again we Preterist believe in a physical bodily resurrection of Christ. He was in a physical state at least part of the time (probably most of the time) he was on earth. Of course, he was not in it all the time since he passed through walls and magically appeared to the Apostles at times. Are you trying to suggest he was in a physical state all the time???

Are you trying to suggest he is in a physical state now while he is in heaven? If so I humbly suggest you might want to read, pray for guidance, and meditate over Hebrews 5:7 a bit longer which states “In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications,…” The clear implication here is that it is past tense and now that he is back in heaven he is in a spiritual state again.

Child's play.

4. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

Yep, one more day of never ending futurist failure

See my answer above.

I do find it entertaining, although weird the obsession futurists hold for clinging to beliefs that are not supported by a single bible verse. For instance there isn’t a single bible verse which says there will be a literal, physical, bodily resurrection—not one verse. But this is a side issue to me if you need to cling to a bodily resurrection JF knock yourself out with it I don’t really care. It seems you spend most of your time defending beliefs that don’t have a single bible verse which supports it like a second coming that is still future to us.

How weird is that—all the verses say it would be soon and you ignore them and make up your own notions to support what you want to believe.

You substitute commentary for scripture and cling to ideology which hasn’t a single verse to support it—it’s an interesting belief system. LOL.

Mean while back on planet earth futurism has suffered yet one more embarrassing day of never ending failure.

5. mandym

mandym New Member

I have never taken preterism seriously so I never realized that preterists do not believe in a physical and future return of Christ. Very sad and completely heretical.

6. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

The more things change the more they remain the same

One of the sad and unfortunate characteristics of futurism is how it repeats the mistake of Christ’s first incarnation. When Christ appeared the first time the Jewish people mostly missed it and refused to accept it because of their preconceived notions of what kind of appearance Christ would make. They wanted a political and military leader to rule the world from Jerusalem.

They were expecting someone who would be a great military leader and defeat the Roman Empire and be a political leader by setting up a restored Jewish Kingdom centered in Jerusalem and rule the world. They missed the Messiah because that wasn’t His plan.

Amazing how futurists make the exact same mistake over again today. They have preconceived notions that Christ will come back in person to defeat a restored Roman Empire and setup a millennial reign centered on a restored Jewish political state in Jerusalem to rule the World. Amazing is it not? I mean the more things change the more they remain the same. It’s the exact same expectations and mistake all over again. And being wrong for two thousand years and counting isn’t going to dissuade them from their dogma. They have dug their heels in, doubled down on failure, and hidden their head in the sand to the failure of such preconceived notions. You have to imagine Christ is shaking His head in amazement and pity, and probably laughing as well saying to Himself they didn’t learn anything the first time around and there they go again.

The bible tells us Christ rules from the heart not from Jerusalem, that His kingdom comes without observation, and He was coming into His kingdom soon not thousands of years in the future.

This is really one of the sad and unfortunate aspects of futurism it encourages a very limited view of Christ. They want to limit Him to having to physically setup shop in one little city, rule one little kingdom, on one little planet. They miss the bigger picture that Christ is ruler of the universe and has conquered sin death and reconciled man back into the presence of God. Instead of celebrating their great, everlasting victory in Christ they are being tricked into forever denying their victory because they are waiting on a literal, physical return that doesn’t square with bible prophecy and never comes about. They are forever waiting at the alter for a marriage that has already happened. Even after 2,000 years they haven’t gotten a clue and started looking around and said did we miss something?

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Frankly Logos1 you are the first full-preterist that I have come across on this forum, or the first one who would admit it.. Full-preterists are apparently a rare species. Or it may be that most are sufficiently ashamed of their heretical beliefs that they don't advertise!

You really make pathetic assertions Logos. I have not tried to make the case for the future return of Jesus Christ. That case is made by the Inerrant Word of God that most Christians call the Bible. I have simply attempted to get you to reveal to me any historical record of the visible return of Jesus Christ in 70 AD, as promised to His disciples and all future believers at His ascension. This you have been unable to do, for obvious reasons. Instead you have made cutesy remarks sometimes preceded by "Hmmmm" or followed by "child's play".

You apparently have no concept of the resurrection body. May I suggest 1 Corinthians 15.

I am not suggesting anything Logos because you obviously are seriously, perhaps fatally, prone to ignore the truth. Your arrogance is only exceeded by your complete inability to understand Scripture. The Apostle Paul could well have people like you in mind when he wrote:

2 Timothy 3:1-7, KJV
    1. This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
    2. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
    3. Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
    4. Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5. Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
    6. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
    7. Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Logos, perhaps the most pathetic aspect of your full-pretetist philosophy is that it attempts to make God the author of confusion. You assert the bodily resurrection of some of the Saints and then leave the rest in their graves for all eternity. I have long thought that dispensationalists had some serious problems but they are "child's play" compared to the heresy of the full-preterists

8. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

isaiah 66, as the prophet had a prophetic insight into a future messianic age yet to come!

9. JesusFan

daniel said that there will be a resurrection at the end of the Age, jesus said that there will be a resurrection for both those who did good/evil, he will be the judge, and Bible has ALL resurrected that are sinners at end of the end of the Age, Great White Throne Judgement!

its all through out the Bible, just have to put away Full pretierist goggles and look thru clear lenses!

10. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

The H word must be the worse thing you can call someone in a futurist's mind

Completely heretical you say, going Mid-evil Catholic church on me are you. Well if you think the bible supports a yet future return of Christ let’s see you produce even one, that’s singular, not even two, but just one verse to support such a notion.

If you can find even one verse which doesn’t say Christ will be returning soon, in this generation etc. but says he will be returning a long time off, in a future generation etc. then I’ll be happy to stand still and let you burn me at the stake and I’ll bring the matches to the party. Go for it!

11. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

I so love this post

I just love this post, I love everything about it on so many levels. I think I could write a book in response to it so it is hard to limit my glee in responding here.

Hmmm, I finally understand where Oldregular is coming from. When you say a case for a future return of Christ is made by the Word of God called the bible it all makes sense now. You simply have a different God and a different bible than what the rest of us have. Hmmm, maybe you can share some of your religion with the rest of us sometime.

Hmmm, me thinkem Oldregular no likem cutesy remarks.

We Preterists love 1 Corinthians 15. It is pure Preterist from start to finish. V 44. Sown a natural body, raised a spiritual body.

V. 46 However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, then the spiritual.

V. 50 Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God

This is the immutable word of God in our bible, but of course Oldregular’s own unique bible may read differently in 1 Corn 15.

LOL—so tell me what you really think about me Old regular, don’t hold back, go for it full throttle, pedal to the medal, no holds barred. I’d just love to hear what you really want to say. Lay it on me buddy, man-up an do your best.

In our bible the term last days refers to the end of the Old Covenant. The inspired writers were writing from their perspective and not referring to something thousands of years beyond their life time. But again Oldregualar’s unique religion and bible has been known to be different than the bible the rest of us read

So my old Baptist brother how is that expecting Christ to come back after 70 AD thing working out for you?

12. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

Getting caught with your hand in the cookie jar

LOL so this is doublespeak for it’s not really a bible verse just futurist commentary, but you thought you could slip it past us and pass it off as a bible verse—are you sure you are not confusing Oldregular’s own unique bible with the inspired bible that the rest of us read.

13. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

A helping hand for my futurist brethern

I see you are confused or perhaps just reading Oldregular’s bible again. Daniel was told to seal his book up until the time of the end. John was told not to seal Revelation up because the prophetic words of the book were near.

I know math is not a long suit of most futurists so allow me to ever so humbly point out that it has now been four times as long since Christ’s time as it was between the writing of Daniel till Christ. Hmmm, any honest reading could only conclude that 70 AD is pointed to as the fulfillment of Revelation. It fits all the prophecies of the book and fits actual history—what could be simpler?

14. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

Futurists become more desperate with every post and passing day

It seems our futurist brethren are beating a hasty retreat here when confronted with the truth of the scriptures.

Matthew 24 links three events and makes this child’s play. The disciples question Jesus about three simultaneous events 1. the destruction of the temple 2. the sign of your coming 3. the end of the age.

We see all three events happening together not separated by long spans of time.

We know when the temple was destroyed ergo we know when the sign of Christ’s coming and the end of the age was—70 AD. Yup, no way around it. And, it is the only way to unite the rest of bible prophecy without making it contradict itself.

My Baptist brethren are no longer trying to defend the bible saying Christ will come a long time in the future as well they shouldn’t. They have been reduced to blanket denials of Christ coming in 70 AD with no one offering proof he didn’t come in 70 AD and making demands to be shown when such and such event took place that provides evidence of Christ’s coming in 70 AD.

Now that I’m pointing out the literal and physical events foretold by prophecy of His return in 70 AD that history records such as the burning of Jerusalem just as was foretold they are going have to fall silent on those points as well. Each day they sound more desperate, shrill, and look like kids holding their hands over their ears and trying to drown out the convicting words of the Holy scriptures screaming 70 AD.

I feel sorry for them.

Mean while back in reality futurism suffered yet another embarrassing day of failure, its adherents waiting another day in vain and Preterists celebrated another day of victory!

15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Logos1

You have filled the pages of this thread with a lot of "nonsensical blather".[repetitive for emphasis] With all that blather you have been unable to respond to my post [#6] where I made a simple request. Perhaps you will stop the blather sufficiently long to respond. I will repost #6 for your convenience:

Now here is your chance to shine Logos1. Enlighten all us poor Biblical illiterates and convert us to full-preterism!

16. JesusFan

Just curious, as to when in History Jesus returned, and that sin and death were both abolished, and that Kingdom of God manifested fully over the earth?

17. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will state one thing to inherit, which I do not believe you can do without entering, must be a state of mind rather than a reality. You may tell me you are in the kingdom but just don't cut yourself shaving, face or legs.

18. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

Greetings OR, I trust your Christmas season is going very well. I bet your one of those people who is ready for Christmas by the end of July and just waltzing through the Yuletide season without a care.

Now let me see an answer to post #6 (and by the way thank you so much for being kind enough to repost it that was very sweet of you) I could have just sworn I put that thing in here some where. Where could it be--I just hate when I lose a post like. It just makes me feel so, so clumsy for lack of a better word. Oh double shucky darn and fiddlesticks too!

Wait I found it, there it is—why it is post number #7 it is the very next post right after your questions—now who went and put that thing there of all places. Heavens to Betsy. Not in a million years would anyone think to look at the very next post. I mean of all the oddball, unheard of, out of the way places to hide a post—why I do believe someone has just been messin with us I do.

But there it is sure nuf, big as you please with all the answers right there in it all in one place.

Why it has seven specific points numbered one after the other in standard number line counting procedure and my goodness would you look at that it addresses the ascension, and them two angels, and how to understand the whole thing right proper like it does.

I just knows when you read that thar post #7 you are going to get a warm and fuzzy and feel soooo good about the way to understand those troubling questions that have been bothering you.

Anywho, sometimes when post get answered they can be very difficult to find, but I saw a deal on ebay (I can send you a link to if you like). It was a tinfoil hat that had a built in radar post finder and I think you might want to get one before they sell out for Christmas. They say it is a very popular item this year.

19. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

I would positively, never, ever, never refer to any of my Baptist brethren as poor biblical illiterates. But I know some psychiatrics theorize that sometimes people project their feelings of inadequacy upon external agents because it is easier to deal with the truth when someone else says it instead of having to say it themselves. I think the technical term for it is “putting words in someone else’s mouth”.

If I can be of service to you in your quest for knowledge I am humbled and honored to assist in doing my share of the Lord’s work. God Bless.

Enlighten all us poor Biblical illiterates…Oldregular

No need to thank me man, just doing my part to make the world a better place.

20. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

An excellent question JF. He returned in 70AD. Sin and death, of course, refer to sin death not physical death and he conquered sin death in 70 AD which is important to you because now when you die you can enter into heaven and be in the presence of the Lord and not have to go to Sheol when you die.

I’m sure as you recall John 18:36 Christ said his kingdom was not of this World so I’m pretty sure you aren’t looking for him to doing anything radical like coming back to Jerusalem and set of a literal physical kingdom there are you? I mean that is so Hal Lindsey. I’m sure you would agree that this is fulfilled by the spread of Christianity upon the earth.

Enlighten all us poor Biblical illiterates…Oldregular

I’m just a humble servant helping to explain the Good Book.