1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The NHL

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Jul 14, 2005.

?
  1. No, I don't care for the sport.

66.7%
  2. Yes, I enjoyed the NHL

33.3%
  3. I caught an occasional game now and then, but really did not have much interest.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NateT

NateT Member

just when I thought I had a good grasp on icing, they've added even more subjectivity to it:

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Wow I think that is great! I think all of the teams should do that, that is if they are serious about getting all their fans back, and possibly even adding a few new ones.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I don't think all the cities will have to lower their ticket prices, because the fan bases is still strong. Detroit will undoubtlably have near sell out games every night they play.

4. PastorSBC1303

Even if that is true, it would be a nice gesture to all the fans that have had to deal with the 2 sides bickering back and forth resulting in a canceled season.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Stars have a strong fan base. It just isn't very wide. I think they raised their prices when they moved into their new arena and are simply scaling them back some. After losing a season, perhaps the commmissioner's office should require all teams to scale back their ticket prices a certain minimum. After all, they won't have to pay anywhere near as much in player salaries as they used to. I think the Stars' total salary amount will be reduced by about $20 million to stay within the cap.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How are you defining "best"?

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

How are you defining "best"? </font>[/QUOTE]The Red Wings have been a team of dynasty proportions the past decade.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think so. A dynasty means pretty much winning three straight championships or at least three in four years.

Out of the last ten Cups the Red Wings have won three(over six years) as have the New Jersey Devils(over nine years).

Therefore, one could say that the Red Wings and the Devils have been the most successful teams over the past ten Cups but by no means can either one be called a dynasty. The last dynasty in the NHL was the 1984-90 Edmonton Oilers(winning five times in seven years).

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone noticed the new NHL logo? They have switched from orange lettering sloping downward to silver lettering sloping upward.

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

No dynasty has been redefined since nobody can win three straight championships.

Consider that the Red Wings won back to back in 97, and 98, and then won again in 2000, or was it 01 can't remember now. Plus they have advanved deep into the playoffs many times in the past decade. They have dominated the regular season for much of the past decade.

Thats of dynastic proportions. Notice I did not say a dynasty. I said they were a team of dynasty proportions.

Name me one team that over the past decade has dominated like the Red Wings.

Thats why Detroit IS Hockeytown!

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having gone through the latest NBA playoffs and being told all during them how the Pistons were the greatest thing since sliced bread, I know how Detroit fans can be. :D

I disagree that the term "dynasty" has been redefined, and I will not do so simply to make Red Wings fans feel that their team has been of "dynasty proportions" for the past decade. [​IMG]

It's all new in the NHL now and with a more level playing field I seriously doubt that there will be any more dynasties or teams of "dynasty proportions", regardless of how one attempts to define or redefine the term "dynasty".

13. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I agree ken. The playing field has changed. But the past decade has been the Red Wings decade, like it or not!

We will see what happens when the season starts up again it is hard to tell how things will go right know. Who knows, the Columbus Blue Jacets could wind up winning the Stanley Cup... Well maybe thats a streatch.

14. PastorSBC1303

I have to hand it to Detroit fans, they are diehard. Even if they do look at things through "Red-wing" colored glasses [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, the Stars won a NHL championship during your "Red Wings' decade". So even if the Stars never win another one I will be satisfied. [​IMG]

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Yeah they won ONE championship. The Stars were a good team and a worthy opponent of the Red Wings during the past decade, but they never dominated year after year like Detroit.

There were some great Detroit/Dallas matchups though in the playoffs, that produced some memorable games. I enjoyed the Detroit/Dallas matchups as much as I did the Colarado/Detroit rivalry. It certainly produced some good hockey!

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ONE was good enough for me in the old NHL. [​IMG]

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Good for you. I notice your from Arkansas, are you the lone hockey fan there?

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah. There a guy who works in the head office from our subsidiary in Calgary who is a hockey fan. [​IMG]

20. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Oh, so there is two of you. ;)