1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

the passing of many American military survivors of WWII

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mr. messy, Apr 29, 2005.

1. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

I was reminded of this topic recently by a forwarded email entitled: "Passing of a Generation."

Correct me, please, if I am wrong but some have called the WWII generation as the "greatest generation." This could be argued. I am not a student of history.

In my local church, we have a few WWII military men still living and members of our local church.

If others are correct, then we should honor them for the sacrifice they have given, whether men or women who stayed at home and supported the war or to those who were in active duty whether in the USA or outside the USA.

Since I was born in 1939, I can remember my family of three (I am an only child) buying "war bonds" (through the local school) during WWII. My dad did not serve in WWII. Dad was employed by Indianapolis Power and Light Company then (he was born in 1901).

It is so easy to forget the older members of a local church. They have a story to tell. They could share their faith story with us. Some may still live at home. Some may live in "nursing homes" or "assisted living" centers.

[By the way, American culture has changed since that time. For a while my grandmother Andrews lived with us, making a family of 4. I remember when grandmother died in our home. My parents would not let me come downstairs where grandmother lived until the body was taken to the funeral home. I remember when the American Medicare system started in 1966 and the nursing home boom seemed to begin.]

Yes, I see the names of those in my church listed as being in nursing homes. I mean to visit them but I have not (yet).

Some believers have a ministry to nursing home residents.

The good characteristics of WWII generation may not be seen in other younger American generations.

The future of the church is children or those under a certain age. Yet the older believers are of value while they are here (as we all are for a limited time only).

To those B.B. members who live outside the USA, you may have other viewpoints.

America was not perfect in the WWII. America is not perfect now.

I have a lot to learn from others. These are some of my thoughts [right now].

We need to give honor to whom honor is due.
    (Romans 13:7 MKJV) Therefore give to all their dues; to the one due tax, the tax; tribute to whom tribute is due, fear to whom fear is due, and honor to whom honor is due

Thanks for reading and posting. mr. messy

2. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

mr. messy writes,

It is so easy to forget the older members of a local church. They have a story to tell. They could share their faith story with us. Some may still live at home. Some may live in "nursing homes" or "assisted living" centers.

--------------------------------------------
    mr. messy
    My father passed away in 1986 and was a WW2 vet with the 82nd Airborne. Although he never talked of his combat experiences he often talked about the historical context of the war and the transformation of a country. The youngest of those who truly experienced it are in their 80's now and are leaving us very quickly. Do all you can to visit, pick their brains, and most of all, thank them for leaving us a country in a lot better shape than the one they inherited. We might learn something.

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had a vet (Marine) on my meals-on-wheels route that I thoroughly enjoyed talking to.

He told me of a few of his experiences on either Guadalcanal or Okinawa, can't remember which, but his description of the mayhem & carnage around him sure didn't fit the idea of war being "glorious"!

Lots of good info out there if you just search a tad! They aren't gonna grab you by the collar and start reminiscing about the "good ole days"!

God was gracious to give this generation to the USA at a time when it was really needed, and it grieves my soul to see the contempt of some for the military today.

As the old saying goes:
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read it in English, thank a GI!"

May God have mercy on what's left of a once great country!

4. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I believe that World War II brought out the very best in many people, and that it turned very many toward a personal faith in God through Jesus Christ. I have a collection of hundreds of music recordings that were produced in the United States during that war, some of it for V-disks, and I believe that it is some of the very best music ever recorded in my country. If it were not for those made possible the victory over Germany and Japan, I don’t believe that I would have that collection of recordings to enjoy, and I may not have my life and my relationship with Christ to enjoy either. I will always be thankful for those who sacrificed so dearly for the rest of us.

[​IMG]

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HEAR HEAR!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

There are several World War 2 Veterans still living here at my church----another Vet who is not a member comes by every now and then---he served aboard the Battleship(Battle Wagon) USS Tennessee----I "nick-named" him "Mister Iron Man"

One of my elderly Deacons is a Vet--serving in the US Army and participated in the European Theatre.

I find it intreging to talk to these fellas.

There are several of my men who served in Vietnam---the "nasty nasty" war.

We have one of our youth who is 3 months into his 18 month stay in Iraq---we miss him awefully much!!

Three of our men have served in Iraq already---one did a "double tour" with the Army in Afganistan and then Iraq!!

Another of our men just signed up for his 2nd hitch in the US Marines