1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Passion: did anyone else suffer a heart attack?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Forever settled in heaven, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Forever settled in heaven

raise ur hand if u did [​IMG]

this is incredible!

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/653662.html
    "A woman collapsed in an East Wichita theatre this morning, during a showing of "The Passion Of The Christ". Peggy Law apparently suffered a heart attack. She was pronounced dead a short time later at a Wichita medical center."

is this proof that Mel's movie goes beyond the original, 2,000 yrs ago? as i recall (barring nun Emmerich's tale), nobody passed out watching the original passion (which in no way minimises Jesus' sufferings, but only suggests--wow, big news!--that Mel might've gone a tad overboard w his 107 stripes n stuff).

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Forever---if you do your math right according to percentages and averages---taken into consideration that literally thousands upon thousands of people were probably viewing the same scene again and again----I would just say that this woman probably would have had a heart attack---whether she was watching the movie or been sitting down in the chair at home sewing or quilting----regardless of where she was at---odds are she would have had a heart attack!

Same goes for pregnate women---next thing you know we'll be reading something like "Woman gives birth while watching Passion"----when in all likelyhood---she would have given birth whether she was there or in back of a Taxi on her way to the hospital----baby just came watching Passion, thats all!!

See?? So, I doubt seriously that the lady's heart attack was steered on by graphic scenes of Passion. If that were so---a lot of heart attacks should have been recorded while watching Saving Private Ryan or We Were Soldiers Once."---gore to the max!!

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Actually, if you consider the tens of thousands of people (or maybe more at this point) who saw the movie, I believe that two heart attacks out of all of these would skew lower than the average.

This would mean that if you're at risk for a heart attack, the safest place you could be is at "The Passion".

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

A woman with heart problems goes and sees an emotionally stirring movie has a heart attack, and you blame Mel Gibson for it?!!!! Seems to me she should have stayed home if she had something like that wrong with her.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

And this is the 3rd time this has been discussed.

6. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Not only heart problem people but the following should avoid this (and all other heretical or excessively violent films):

1. nightmare-prone persons.

2. persons with anxiety, paranoia, phobias, sadism, masochism, dementia, delusions of grandeur, panic attack syndromes, mental retardation, and other mental or emotional conditions.

3. the elderly who are not used to R rated violence spectacles to make money.

4. those who already, from scripture appreciate what Jesus did for us in His crucifixion, and are already witnessing to others.

5. those who dislike funding cults, fringe churches, heresies, and distortions of spiritual events of the Bible.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Here he goes again, making accusations he cannot prove! I think we should all ignore posts by vaspers! Now he's a Doctor! Physician! Heal thyself!
    ``````````````````````````````````

To forever settled in heaven.... you said: nobody passed out watching the original passion (which in no way minimises Jesus' sufferings, but only suggests--wow, big news!--that Mel might've gone a tad overboard w his 107 stripes n stuff.

You were there? You know for a fact no one passed out? Also, the guards in the movie VERBALLY COUNT the stripes! 39 with canes and 39 with cat of nine tails.

8. vaspers

vaspers New Member

diane, I do have intimate understanding of mental conditions, and since you have brought it up, I have family members who have suffered from various conditions, and family members who are professionals in various medical professions.

But "evangelicals" seem woefully ignorant (Freud-phobia or anti-psychiatry stance???) of mental suffering and psychological problems, which is why Jim Jones rose to power in People's Temple, and other famous "tele-evangelists" get away with nutty agendas, like "send me exactly $58.46 as seed money right now."

9. Forever settled in heaven

ha! maybe the guards in the movie weren't very numerate. :D

the count came fr the Time magazine reviewer. [​IMG]

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well I am 'numerate'. Maybe he counted EVERY punch and hit from the time Jesus was taken in the garden until he died. There were not more than 39 stripes from the canes and 39 from the Cat of Nine tails.

I saw the movie twice and I'm a Christian. You'd take the word of Time's Magazine over a Christian?

Diane

11. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

The scourging scene in the movie was historically inaccurate. Scourging was done to the back of the body. They turned Jesus over and scourged His front side as well. Did anyone notice how good the two thieves on His sides looked. Kinda like they had just come from a picnic at the park, and then stopped in to get crucified. Under Roman law, all sentenced to crucifixion got the scourging. The 39 srtipes was from Jewish law, not Roman, and can be found in the book of Deuteronomy.

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

And this is supposed to be new information? Jewish 'prisoner'/ Jewish rules.

13. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

Such a sad, angry, bitter individual. Being in the "any other mental or emotional condition" crowd you have offended me greatly. For one who preaches their greatness as a Christian your witness is pitiful and decietful. You have proven once again you do not post here against this movie out of any concern for your fellow Christians, but as an act of hatred for a certain group of people and you have no concern for who you offend or hurt in the process. You also have no respect for the truth.

But rather than hate you or be angry at you, I feel a great sadness for you and will pray for you. That is a point that was driven home by this movie, and sadly, was missing from my life.

14. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Shag--lighen up there, bro. I'm sticking up for mentally troubled people. I am concerned that ultra-violent films may not be in their best interests. Glad you pay so much attention to my posts, it is refreshing to have an objective debate opponent.

Spirit and Truth, very good points on the sloppy manner in which the truth of God's Word and historical accuracy are stepped on and squished repeatedly in this film.

"2 thieves looked like they just come from a picnic in the park"

That is extremely disturbing. Jesus probably had more savage treatment than them, but to show them as spiffed up with Eternity cologne on...now that makes me wonder what Mel had in mind.

So much for realism and honesty in this film.

15. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

Diane:

And this is supposed to be new information? Jewish 'prisoner'/ Jewish rules.

S&T:

Jewish law states that a man sentenced to death was not to be flogged. If you scrutinize this film for Biblical, historical, or linguistic accuracy, in the end you will find that it falls short in all three categories. If you examine it for Catholic doctrine, imagery, and mysticism, it ranks quite high. [​IMG]

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about we systematically go about closing threads on The Passion. This one covers the same material as 5 others, so will be first to go.