1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The passion of the Christ

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Indeed, very powerful...and IS in the Bible. In the garden, no...but the imagery...yes, that was most certainly biblical

2. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Edward Fulrong is a great actor. I like him. It would be cool if he became a christian.

3. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Oh yeah and that Satan told Jesus that he cannot pay for our sins which implies that Satan knew and understood exactly what Jesus was about to do...this is also not in the bible. :smilewinkgrin:
    The movie has many things which are not in the bible you can't argue that.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What are you talking about? There is no biblical passage that has Satan talking to Jesus in the Garden, or Jesus stepping on a snake!

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The symbolism of Jesus stepping on a snake is a reference to the gospel promise of Gen 3 that He would wound the serpents head and the serpent would wound his heal. It is symbolism not a literal stepping on a snake -- but I don't doubt that the RCC might have a tradition of literally stepping on a snake invented in the dark ages. It is after all an RC filtered view of the Gospel statements about the Crucifixion.

I also have no doubt at all that Satan was trying to discourage Christ in the Garden AND on the Cross. When Christ experiences separation from the Father He also experiences full exposure to the discouraging influence of Satan.

In Christ,

Bob

6. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

I said the imagery was biblical...and it is...Genesis 3:15. I don't particularly know of the RCC teaching this as a garden event, but the imagery was clearly a reference to this passage...being placed immediately at the beginning of the movie, I took if for imagery.

7. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Nor have I tried. I have said that something that is extrabiblical is not necessarily contrary to scripture. Did Jesus fall from a bridge? Did a bird attack one of the thieves. There is no biblical reason to believe these things happened, but then again, there is no biblical proof that they didn't. Much like the tired discussions of "was Jesus born in December?" or "How many wise men came to see Jesus?" there is no proof one way or another. The common thought of three wisemen is not biblical, but it is not contrary to scripture, either. Now, if the Passion showed Jesus fighting off Roman soldier in the Garden screaming, "you'll never take me alive!" well that would be different...it would be contrary to scripture.

There were many things in the movie that were not biblical, but none that were contrary to scripture.

8. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

I know I have seen pictures from the Catholic Church of a man stepping on and stabbing with a sword ... a snake I think it was...

and I read its supposed to mean Catholicism stomping out Protestantism.

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Maybe it was St. Patrick getting rid of all the snakes in Ireland? :confused:

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

xdx, why can't you simply reference what you post? Aren't you aware that plagiarism is a form of dishonesty?

I don't have a dog in the "Passion" fight. I'm just tired of your posting assertions that obviously are not your material, and never referencing your stuff. Start being responsible. If it ain't yours, cite it.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, even if Jesus stomping on the snake in the Garden is not at the beginning of the movie (and I don't know if it is or not), that does not mean it's imagery. It's presented as a real event, as is Satan talking to Jesus in the garden. There's nothing to indicate it's imagery. I don't think it's right to present them as though they happened. Most people are not familiar with the Bible are very likely to think this really happened - I can't see the average movie goer saying, "Oh, this is imagery." C'mon!

#31 Marcia, Dec 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2006
  12. Lilith

Lilith New Member

Well, although people were drawn to God. A lot of people were turned away from God. Or led even further away from God. No offense. But I don't want to watch Jim Caviezel get tortured for two and a half hours. Not to mention the fact that you shouldn't worship how Jesus died. It seems a little barbaric. But rather worship what he teaches instead. They worshipped how Jesus died in the Dark Ages and we all remember how that turned out...

13. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But this would mean that Satan knew exactly what Jesus plan was. But if he knew it why did he not stop the romans from executing him?

14. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Satan's plan was to leverage "free will". Christ loved the World and died for it - but if those he died for could be manipulated to be unkind, cruel, mean and down right horrible to their own savior - maybe he would think twice about just how much he loved them and how much pain and suffering he would be willing to endure for such ungrateful monsters.

I think Satan's plan was pretty smart. What he did not know was the massive depth of God's Love for those He created.

In Christ,

Bob

15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

I dont see whats so terrible about showing Jesus stomping on a snake in the garden.

16. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

How were we saved?

You can not worship how He died or what He teaches. You can only worship Him in His entirety. And His dieing is how we were saved and why we love Him.

17. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Nothing...but some have trouble with imagery in movies...let alone scripture.

18. Lilith

Lilith New Member

Duh...But Jesus never intended for you to ogle over Jim Caviezel getting beaten and nailed to a cross. The best thing to do is to acknowledge how he died and be grateful that he saved you. And learn from what he teaches, not how he died.

19. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Excellent point. I don't think He intended for us to ogle his bare backside either.

20. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

You know for a fact that Jesus never intended for me to watch the movie? Please tell me how you know this.

The apostles along with every generation of the church afterword has spoken of how He died. When you are speaking of how he died you are speaking of how much He loved us.

What this movie shows is a visual demonstration of Jesus love. It is a moderen form of the story that the church has passed along verbaly and in painting since its begining.

Tell me what teaching of Jesus is more important then what he did on the cross? If you say love then that leads us right back to telling the story of the cross becasue that is how Jesus loved us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.