1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Pope’s Plans on Organizing Political, Economic, and Religious Activities Worldwid

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ReformedBaptist, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Many Catholics do read the Bible; I've said before that my own grandmother, mother to two priests, had two Bibles in her house (one in her bedroom and one in her living-room) and read from them every day, yet she remained a Catholic to the day she died. Now, either you have some kind of special revelation from God which she didn't (which I very much doubt), or your prejudice is wrong.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Who says your grandmother believed anything different from the Bible. Many have stated in this thread that many Catholics are saved despite the Catholic church. The focus is the evil of the Catholic church, which in reality is a cult. It preaches a works salvation, and ignores every principle of the Gospel in Scripture. The word you use prejudice is not being correctly used. Prejudice means an unwarranted bias against a group. This is confronting evil. There is a big difference.

3. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Well, according to you she couldn't have believed what was in the Bible and remained a committed Catholic. I have news for you: she did both, which rather gives the lie to your above post and exposes it for the heap of anti-Catholic bigotry that it is.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have news for you, that is impossible. A committed Catholic believes in a works salvation (aside from all the lesser heresies), and that is not anything nearly what the Bible says. The belief alone that Baptism within the catholic church is required for salvation is enough to classify it as a cult. Again, it is not bigotry, it is confronting evil.

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Well, my grandmother disproves your prejudiced thesis, as does Lori4dogs and millions of other Catholics. And baptism by anyone 'gets you in' according to Catholic soteriology.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Baloney, that was proven to be false in the earlier thread by your own doctrine. If you do not know catholic theology that you support, how could you possibly understand another faith?

7. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Which bit is 'baloney'?

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Specifically, you denying that Catholics believe in regenerational baptism, not only in any church but their church.

9. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Again, you are incorrect. The Catholic Catechism:

Note: anyone can baptise if there is no Catholic priest available. That's why the Catholic Church doesn't rebaptise people entering their Church from other denominations provided they have already been baptised in those denominations using the usual Trinitarian formula.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is not what that says. It says within the Latin church. It must be that Baptists and Presbyterians are not either "Latin Churches" or they are not "Trinitarian" because they accept neither faith.

Why do you focus on the minor point of which baptism they accept? The major flaw is that you believe any baptism saves, which makes the entire quote you posted heresey.

11. Matt Black

Site Supporter

The reference to 'Latin church' is a reference to deacons only, which you would see had you troubled to read it properly. And since when were Baptists and Presbyterians not Trinitarian?

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

They are, why does not your church accept our baptisms, which I know for a fact they do not. And why do you continue to ignore what makes the belief unBiblical, the fact that any Baptism saves, regardless of church. That is a concept from the pits of hell, and you are worried about which church the Catholics accept as regenerational baptism.

13. Matt Black

Site Supporter

My church, the Church of England, accepts your baptisms provided they are done in the Trinitarian way. So I understand does the Catholic Church - who told you otherwise? The real issue is why Baptists don't accept some of our baptisms...

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

We accept any baptisms by immersion, and that are not regenerational. We accept any letter of transfer from another Baptist church or a church of like faith and order.

We do not accept sprinklings, regenerational baptisms, or baptism of infants in any mode. The sprinking is just a mode. Regenerational baptism is serious Biblical error.

Since you are of the Church of England, I know nothing about your baptism. I never studied your denomination.

Since you say you know Baptist doctrine, then you know each church is autonomous and can set their own baptism acceptance requirements.

Oh, and to answer your question, how do I know otherwise. I have a nephew who grew up as a Presbyterian, married a Catholic person, and tried to join the Catholic church, and no, they would not accept his baptism. Presbyterians sprinkle like the Catholics.

#34 saturneptune, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2009
  15. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This has been a fun read. BTW I'm wondering if Baptism is symbolic why re-baptize? I was when I left the Catholic Church. In fact since, baptism is not regenerational in nature. I don't need to get baptised since it doesn't affect my salvation on way or another. If I tell people I believe in Christ it is the same as being immersed. Both are types of Witnessing. So if I use one type why do another? In fact, unless someone really wants to be baptised there shouldn't be any requirement to be baptised as long as I've accepted Jesus as my Personal Savior.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You are right in the fact that baptism is not required for salvation. However, the Lord commands us to be baptised in Matthew 28 and other places. The reason we immerse is that it is the mode the Lord used to be baptised. It is symbolic. It is a public symbol of your new life in Christ. While our church does not accept sprinklings, a person who was sprinkled does not have their salvation questioned. Now, regenerational baptism is another matter. If you are depending on the baptism to save you, instead of or in addition to faith in Jesus Christ, then you have followed the wrong gospel.

I am glad you thought this was a fun read. To tell you the truth, these people wear me out.

#36 saturneptune, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2009
  17. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    so I don't have to be baptised (kind of moot since I was twice) but for the sake of argument. I can replace baptism by publically proclaiming my salvation.

18. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

The Roman Catholic Church DOES accept baptism from other Christian faiths as long as its done with water and in the Trinitarian formula (in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit). I know for a fact you don't know what you are saying...I spent a school year in Roman Catholic RCIA class...

Also, as a former Baptist myself who was Baptized in 1998, when I became Orthodox, I did not have to be "re-baptized". The Orthodox Church accepted by Baptist Baptism...and the Orthodox Church practices immersion, fyi
    And just HOW did St. Peter answer those who asked what they must do to be SAVED on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2:38?
    Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit
    Salvation begins with these three "steps":
    1) repent,
    2) be baptized, and
    3) receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

To repent means to change our mind about how we have been, turning from our sin and committing ourselves to Christ. To be baptized means to be born again by being joined into union with Christ. And to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit means to receive the Spirit who empowers us to enter a new life in Christ, be nurtured in the Church, and be conformed to God's image.

Salvation demands faith in Jesus Christ. People cannot save themselves by their own good works. Salvation is "faith working through love." It is an ongoing, lifelong process. Salvation is past tense in that, through the death and Resurrection of Christ, we have been saved. It is present tense, for we must also be being saved by our active participation through faith in our union with Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. Salvation is also future tense, for we must yet be saved at His glorious Second Coming.

In XC
    -

19. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BTW out of curiosity Agnus Dei why use the latin phrase "Lamb of God" rather than the Greek since you are Orthodox? And if I mix english with Latin would the phrase Angus Dei mean "steak of God". Just curious here. :smilewinkgrin:

20. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

:laugh::laugh:
    At the time I signed up for the Baptist Board I was attending a Methodist Church, having just left the Baptist faith...I was contemplating the Roman Catholic Church and was begining Roman Catholic RCIA classes soon...Agnus Dei was a song I really liked that Thrid Day recorded on one of their live CD's.

Later, after I finished Catholic RCIA and moved to Wichita, KS...I discovered an Orthodox Church and began Orthodox Catechesis...obviously, when it was said and done, I felt led to join the Orthodox Church.

I tried to change my moniker, but wasn't allowed...so I tried to re-join Baptist Board and have my "Agnus_Dei" profile deleted, but my Orthodox application was denied...LOL...so I'm stuck w/ a Latin phrase as a Moniker.

In XC
    -