1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Popes of the Dark Ages

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by BobRyan, Mar 6, 2004.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is a pro-RC view on Popes that were not "very good" throughout history.

Clearly there is a "reason" for the dark ages.

My question is this: if infallibility was in fact "defined in the 1870's" - how were the Popes of previous centuries "clearly identifying statements" spoken infallibly? Did they know to preface them with "now here is one coming to you ExCathedra"?

In Christ,

Bob

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    During the last two years of his pontificate, Sixtus V (1585-90) rewrote the entire Latin Bible, adding phrases and sentences at whim, leaving out entire verses, changing the titles of the Psalms, and inventing his own system of chapters and verses.

In a Papal Bull Aeternus Ille (an allegedly infallible declaration on faith and morals to the entire Church), he declared by 'the fullness of Apostolical power' that this new 'translation' of the Bible must be 'received and held as true, lawful, authentic and unquestioned in all public and private discussions, readings, preachings and explanations.' Anyone who disobeyed was to be excommunicated.

(One of several copies of these "Bibles" is preserved in the Bodleian Library in Oxford).

In Christ,

Bob

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Might this arrogant mishandling of the precious Word of God have prompted the English world's translations of the Douay/Reims (Catholic) in 1610 and Authorized Version (Anglican) in 1611?

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is interesting that they are so close together.

Of course the printing press and the popular movement to get the Bible into the hands of the people in their own language had to play the biggest part.

In Christ,

Bob

6. crossbarer

crossbarer Guest

None of the "bad" Popes spoke Ex Cathedra. For something to qualify as Ex Cathedra, it cannot contradict anything all the way back to Christ.

We have to admit, that Jesus uses the bad for good. Jesus hand picked Judas for a purpose.

Jesus and the Apostles did warn that wolves would reach places of authority.

I know a little about the Catholic Church, I've been studying it from the "horses mouth" sort of say.

In Christ,
    crossbarer

7. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Crossbearer,

You said, 'We have to admit, that Jesus uses the bad for good. Jesus hand picked Judas for a purpose.'

I agree with your first sentence above but not with the last one. Neither God no man forced Judas to end up in Hell. Even hearing the Kingdom message and seeing the miracles he still remained in rebellion toward the King, greedily desiring to take care of the financial funds for the Apostolate. If he did not have a free will to believe neither do any of us.'

You said, 'Jesus and the Apostles did warn that wolves would reach places of authority.'

Four statements are made about wolves. Matt. 8:15:

Jesus said, 'Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.' In this case they were unsaved because they were wolves and not sheep, and were in no way held membership in a Christian church.'

Matt. 1016: Our Lord said, 'Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves; be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.' In this case, He is saying that His people would have to confront sinners.'

Luke 10:3: 'Go your ways; behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves.' Jesus, again sends His disciples to a lost world.'

Acts 20:29: 'For I know this, that after My departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.' Yes, sinners enter into Christian churches as though they were saved but in fact are not part of the true Christian church.'

Some may reach places of alleged authority; but the true Christian recognizeds they are in reality not genuine Christians.