1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The pope's taste in art

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by SolaScriptura in 2003, May 16, 2003.

1. SolaScriptura in 2003

I don't have any antiCatholic pastor. I've just been reading Foxe's Book of Martyr's lately, and I must say that if a person is willing to admit that the inquisition "took place" it seems strange to me that they wouldn't admit that the specifics recorded of it "took place" as well. I suppose you'll also say that the holocaust "took place" but that the gas chambers are just a fantasy!

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The real question is: Do you know what happened during The Inquistion, or do you just believe what some revisionist Catholic historian has told you? I find that Catholics everywhere are trying to rewrite history, whitewashing it, trying to cover up their own horrendous crimes for which they will never admit nor take responisibilty for. Revise history, yes! Admit to the truth of history, Never! Why not admit to the truth of history for once? What really did happen during the Inquistion? Yes, I do know.
    DHK

3. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure why you would question whether or not Mike could "live with himself." Finster's art is primitive, maybe slightly amateurish, and not to my personal taste, but I fail to see that it is objectionable in a moral light. :confused:

Here's a page of the Finster website I found:

http://www.finster.com/HFBiography.htm

Also, while I'm in the thread, it's completely off topic, but Johnv said:
    As we have discussed before, the point is quite disputable. It is a possibility, but far from provable or in line with what we know of Roman history.

I don't care to get in a debate about Peter or, for that matter, tastes in art, but I was curious as to what Mark's comment referenced.

4. JeffreyLloyd

JeffreyLloyd New Member

The real question is: Do you know what happened during The Inquistion, or do you just believe what some revisionist Catholic historian has told you? I find that Catholics everywhere are trying to rewrite history, whitewashing it, trying to cover up their own horrendous crimes for which they will never admit nor take responisibilty for. Revise history, yes! Admit to the truth of history, Never! Why not admit to the truth of history for once? What really did happen during the Inquistion? Yes, I do know.
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]No, I'm afriad you don't.

5. dumbox1

dumbox1 Guest

Hi Clint,

I was joking -- as I think Mike was in his original post mentioning Howard Finster. (Although I will admit, his work isn't to my taste, either).

I am pleased to learn from your link that Rev. Finster had a Christ-centered viewpoint, though. The website I found just showed his art, with no biographical details.

Mark

6. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Thanks for clearing that up. It's hard to tell anymore around here whether or not people are serious and I was a little confused.

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Clint, folk art by it's very nature is primative. I don't believe it's amateurish at all, although, towards the end, I don't think it had the fire that his earlier stuff did.

I don't collect art because it's great art, necessarily, but because it speaks to me and Finster's does.

I've always been a fan of Southern Gothic and I think his is among the best out there but I also think that he had a tremendous talent for sharingthe Gospel through his art.

I paint, myself (not very good, still learning), and more than being technically great, I hope my paintings have half the passion his did.

http://www.finster.com/HFBiography.htm

Mike