1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The post of the year!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

In the infant baptism thread, Brandon C Jones made a wonderful post.

First is was very gracious to one who was struggling with her baptist theology and it was edifying.

Second (and this is the part that caught my eye) it was very honest about the opposing view of particular baptists.
    Even though I am a particular Baptist, I thought the treatment of what we as particular baptists believe was very fair.

2. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Hello Dale, your comments make me blush a little. I'm sure Emily is not the only one here who has struggled with baptism. It's healthy to study Scripture on this, both sides of interpreting baptism in Scripture, and to study Baptist history. I've found Baptist theology from the past to be quite substantial, and they were often in dialogue with others as they were required to defend their views.

I am just wrapping up a class under Richard Muller on covenant theology in the Post-Reformation period, and my paper is on Baptist covenant theology represented by General Baptist Thomas Grantham and Particular Baptist Nehemiah Coxe. One contrast is how Grantham considers it to be a big deal that all infants are in the covenant of grace, while Coxe does not even raise the issue but includes a covenant of redemption and is silent as to the whether infants are under it or not. Michael Walker has a helpful article on General and Particular Baptist views of infants and original sin in the April 1966 edition of the Baptist Quarterly. I also discuss some of these things in my term paper for Muller. If you like, I can e-mail you a current version of the paper if you PM me. I found it to be interesting to say the least.

I can't agree that any of my posts are all that great, and it may be a little too early in the year for such accolades, but thanks for the encouragement. I'm not sure how helpful anyone else found them. In fact, Aaron pointed out a flaw in one other post where I was not very precise.

See you around,
    BJ