1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Qualified "ALL" in drawing

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Jun 27, 2013.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
    45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

In previous posts we have established without dispute from our opponents that the words "cometh to me" means "coming in faith to Christ" so lets read it that way:

44 No man can come in faith to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
    45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me by faith.

Hence, drawing is essential for anyone to come by faith to Christ.

Now, lets look at the word "all" or the Greek term "pas" used in connection with drawing.

Verse 45 further defines the nature of drawing to include personal instruction by the Father in regard to coming in faith or believing in Jesus Christ as in the case of Peter:

Blessed art thou Simon bar Jonah for flesh and blood hath not revealed this unto thee, but my Father in heaven.

You will remember that his confession of faith in Christ is the subject of this assertion by Christ. Peter's confession of faith in Christ did not originate with men but with the Father in heaven. This is precisely how Jesus defines "draw" in John 6:45:

45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me by faith

Just as none but those drawn can come to Christ in saving faith, so none but those taught by God can come to Christ in saving faith.

Therefore, who is the "ALL" that God teaches/draws? Jesus is quoting Isaiah 54:13:

Isa. 54:13 And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children.

He does not say "all the world" or "thy mankind."

Furthermore, the Greek term translated "all" in John 6:45a is translated "every man" in John 6:45b. Hence, the same "all" but a qualfiied all.

1. They are "all" "children of God"
    2. They are "all" taught by God
    3. They "all" hear and learn of God = taught by God
    4. They "all" come to Christ by faith.

This supports the grammatical proof that the SAME "him" drawn in verse 45 is the SAME "him" that is raised up to eternal life. There is NO OTHER "him" drawn but the "him" raised up to eternal life. So again "ALL" taught by God is the same ALL who hear, learn and come to Christ in faith in verse

This is contextually the very same qualfiied "ALL" in John 6:37-39 because:

None but those given to Christ by the Father can come in faith to Christ BECAUSE ALL who come NONE are lost
    None but those drawn to Christ by the Father can come in faith to Christ BECAUSE EVERY "him" drawn is raised to eternal life and NONE LOST.
    None but those that hear and are taught of the Father come in faith to Christ BECAUSE EVERY MAN that hears and taught comes to Christ in faith.

Or I could say the same thing this way:

BECAUSE ALL come to Christ in faith OF ALL given so NONE are lost. - Jn. 6:37,39
    BECASUE ALL come to Christ in faith OF ALL drawn as Him drawn is him raised to eternal life so NONE are lost - Jn. 6:44
    BECAUSE ALL come to Christ in faith OF ALL taught (hear and learn) by the Father so NONE are lost. - Jn. 6:45

Or I could say the same thing this way:

There is none drawn but "him" and that very same "him" is raised to eternal life - SO ALL drawn are raised to life and NONE lost
    There is none "of all" given that fail to come to Christ in faith - SO ALL GIVEN are raised to life and NONE lost
    There is none of "all" taught that fail to come to Chrsit in faith - SO ALL TAUGHT are raised to lie and NONE lost.

This is not a matter of geometry but a matter of the laws of grammar and context.

#1 The Biblicist, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013