1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Religion of George Washington

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Martin, Sep 16, 2006.

1. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Well, it is certainly true that we cannot know with 100% accuracy whether or not any man or woman on earth is 'a true Christian'. That includes John Wesley, Martin Luther, John Calvin, you or me, or anyone else for that matter. But you seem to be doing backflips in order to say that Washington was not a Christian. In spite of the many quotations regarding his beliefs that have been posted here; in spite of his church memberships and attendence; in spite of his private and public thanks to God; his fervent prayers etc. I don't know of any president who has spoken or behaved more like a true Christian than Washington. Or one who has more frequently spoken of his dependence on, and gratitude to God. Why go out of your way to cast doubt?

Well, it is very fashionable to be an iconoclast these days.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

==Everything Washington said was what you would expect from a Virigina Planter. Therefore I can't say whether his statements reflected a regenerated heart or not. Thomas Jefferson, who was certainly not a Christian, made very simular statements to that of Washington. Why? Both were Virginia Planters and both lived in the same time period. I can quote Jefferson, just as Washington has been quoted, and make it appear that he was a Christian. However anyone who knows anything about the personal beliefs of Jefferson will know that I would be presenting a very out of focus picture of his religious beliefs. Washington is certainly not as hostile to formal Christianity as Jefferson, but his public statements/orders don't differ much from other men of his status of his day. That simply does not reflect a personal salvation. It could, and I have said that Washington may have been a Christian, but it is not a certain guarantee.

==Really? What "private...thanks" are you refering to? "Fervent prayers"? Again to what are you refering? Btw, theologically, nothing you said above proves a person a Christian. I know many people who are not Christians yet attend church, pray, are moral, and ethical men. Btw Washington's Church attendence was not regular and he would not take communion. I don't know what that means because I cannot get into his head. So I must wait for eternity to tell whether he was a born-again Christian or not. At this time I will agree with a host of historians, Christians and non Christian alike, that Washington was "a Christian as a Virginia planter understood the term" and that "his faith was mostly a social convention". I can't honestly say that we will, or will not, meet Washington in glory. I would love to believe we will but I have to remain cautious since everything he said fell within that historical context. I am not comfortable saying that George W Bush is a Christian (for different reasons). Bush is a politician in the republican party who needs conservative Christian support. Maybe he is saved, maybe he is not. Since we, and most people, only see his "public" face we cannot know.

==This is not about "doubt", this is not a doctrinal issue, and I certainly hope no person's faith in Christ is dependent upon Washington's. I am just going with the historical evidence. I am trying to understand Washington in his social, cultural context (ie...as he was).

3. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

I disagree. Tidewater planters could be vicious, self-indulgent, with a strong sense of entitlement. Washington was none of those things.

We know of at least one occasion. According to his adopted daughter, at the deathbed of a family member, "he knelt by her and prayed most fervently, most affectingly, for her recovery."

Well it was as regular as could be expected in a time of miserable roads and frequent illness.

Again according to his adopted daughter, "He attended the church at Alexandria, when the weather and roads permitted a ride of ten miles. In New York and Philadelphia he never omitted attendance at church in the morning, unless detained by indisposition.".

No one has suggested that it was.

You have compared Washington’s faith to Jefferson’s, but there was no similarity. As a Deist, Jefferson had no conception of a creator who involved himself in the affairs of men. Washington, on the other hand, saw God’s hand daily in the events that he was a part of. As a man who had been involved in warfare since his early teens - everything from squad-sized fights up small armies, he believed that only the miraculous could explain his army’s victories, much less it’s very survival. He was literally "astonished" by it.

Somehow that doesn’t surprise me!

4. Ralph III

Ralph III New Member

Martin,
    There is NO comparison between Jefferson and Washington in this regards, period! You really should stop with that comparison, as it is simply meant to diminish the character of Washington.
    A) You will not find derogatory remarks from Washington, such as atheist often like to quote of Jefferson. In regards to Christianity and religion in general. In fact all you will find from Washington is high reverence for the Lord.
    B) Washington sincerely called upon the Lord in private prayer, prayer duties for all the army, and National prayers to all the people. This he did often, of which Jefferson rarely did in comparison. It is simply insulting to compare such.
    C) Washington truly lived a life of a Christian.
    D) The greatest insight and only one really needed, however comes from Washington's family, constituents, and the nation as a whole.

It absolutely baffles me that someone would even attempt that comparison. As nobody who reads history, or any credible historian I recall, does such! It is simply a terrible analogy.

Much of the deragatory elements listed by a few on this board has been shown to be false or erroneous in nature. Some of the information provided having come from atheistic and/or separatist/secular sites. Some absolutely blatant lies were pointed out along with misleading information! Yet some of the same information continues to be reposted within these threads, without noting such?

One site listed, says Washington NEVER said "Jesus" or "Christ" in his many thousands of letters. This is a blatant lie! That he rarely spoke of religion or God. This is a lie! That he had to be a deist because of his strong ties with masons. This is also a lie and misrepresenting. That he rarely attended Church or never. This is a lie and misrepresentative. That only a small percentage of the American population attended Church. This is a lie and also misrepresentative.

All the above is simply meant to deceive people by these sites. Now again and again, to re-clarify a few things.:BangHead:

A) Washington attended Church fairly regular, at times twice in a day. In fact he strongly and intimately supported several, was involved with the construction of one.
    B) No they did not attend Church every Sunday or Wednesday(if such) as we are able. Often there was no Preacher available and for weeks at a time. In addition the trip was 3 or more hours horseback or carriage, depending on which Church they went to. Not something to be made in inclement weather or with people who may be ill. It was much different then! You did not just drive around the corner for services.
    C) Washington received written sermons from Preachers all around the nation. This was done simply because of the great respect and admiration of the man and his faith. He collected, thus obviously valued these things. He also took the time to respond. This is much different than simply conversing with Churches and Pastors in a political fashion. Which he also did as Jefferson and others. However, the above goes directly to faith and respect of and for!
    D) In regards to the erroneous stats, with few Americans attending established Church regularly. These are simply erroneous and misleading because; First, they do not point out the above as many faced the same problems! Second, and most importantly, most of America was sparse and wilderness. Thus most communities early on had what would be called non-denominational Churches or gathering places. These are NEVER included in those stats.

Nobody is saying Washington was a Bible thumping, evangelical driven, flock gathering Christian. Maybe he was in his own way, maybe he was not! He appears to have been very devout in faith and very personal! However, to degrade the man by continuing to suggest otherwise, though all the evidence points otherwise, is wrong.

His actions, letters, words, along with how his family and constituents viewed him speaks VOLUMES! By the way, most of what I have posted in such regards does not come from Novaks, "Washington's God". Some comes directly from his personal writting as I am proud owner of an early 1800's book containing such. Most can be found in his public and/or private writtings from the National Archives or Library of Congress.

I will post a letter from his granddaughter next. Sorry so long.

Ralph:jesus:

#24 Ralph III, Sep 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2006
  5. Ralph III

Ralph III New Member

Again what his family and constituents says speaks volumes of him. In addition to his own words, letters, and actions! To correct something I spelled it as "Curtis" when in fact is "Custis". Nelly Custis-Lewis was Washington's adopted daughter, Martha's granddaughter.

You can get a few other interesting aspects from this site or others.
    http://www.christiananswers.net/q-wall/wal-g011.html
    This site gives a couple of interesting insights, and to his questionable baptism. Though I am not saying such as nothing definitive I am aware of.http://logosresourcepages.org/IronPen/ironpen80.htm

Whether he was a Baptist or not matters not to me. One thing is for sure however. He would have never been a back-seat Baptist, ha.:smilewinkgrin:
    He was a good man and I believe good Christian.

Take care.
    In Christ, Ralph

#25 Ralph III, Sep 23, 2006
  6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    As to Washington's "baptism":

I have been attempting for some time to find documentation for Washington's baptism by John Gano. There is more than one version of the story — the event is variously placed in the Potomac, in the Hudson and at Valley Forge — as well as different accounts of the famous painting, which apparently was commissioned by an Episcopal minister int he early 1900s. As best as I can tell, the painting was in a church in Asbury Park, N.J., before being donated to the John Gano Chapel at William Jewell College in Missouri.

The various accounts contain several details, including that the witnesses were sworn to secrecy and that Washington did not become a Baptist.

I find it interesting that neither David Benedict, Thomas Armitage nor John Christian mentions the baptism story, and other 19th century biographical accounts also omit it. I am not aware that the story is in Gano's memoirs, though I have not read them. (They are in print again after a 200-year hiatus.)

It appears that the story gained wide circulation in the 20th century, and not generally before. On the basis of what I know, I would consider it of doubtful provenance.

#26 rsr, Sep 23, 2006
  7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I think I have made this point several times in this thread. So it is a mystery to me why you try to make it an issue. I have said, several times, that Washington was much more friendly to Christianity than Jefferson. I have also said that I do not believe that Washington was a deist, as Jefferson was. All I have said was that I cannot be so sure that he was a true Christian man (ie...born again). Being moral, going to church, even giving speeches with religious themes/points don't prove anything (Matt 7:21-23). I have to look at his statements as what they are. The public statements of a President and person of his stature of his day. Maybe he was a Christian, maybe he was not, I don't know.

I have great respect for Washington, in fact he is probably one of my favorite presidents. So I am in no way trying to "diminish the character of Washington".

I am amazed how people don't read what is actually being said. This is, usually, because they are too busy being defensive to read what is actually being said. Look at what I said in my first reply in this thread...

"After studying Washington I do not believe he was a Deist. However, and this is very important, I don't believe we could classify him as a conservative, evangelical Christian...Washington clearly had some sort of faith in God (Providence), and he certainly did not hold to a Deistic theology. Was Washington a born-again Christian? I really don't think we can know. However it is clear that Washington was a religious man. Whether or not that "religion" was reflective of true salvation only eternity will tell."

==I am not aware of Washington's personal prayer life and I am not sure you are either (since neither of us where present).

==So? Living a "christian life" does not make one a born again Christian.

==Those are interesting, yes. However we must look at the man. I am aware of the statements of his family (etc) and I am also aware of the fact that at least one clergyman accused Washington of being a deist (something I am not doing). So I am interested in looking at what we "know" about the man.

==Well, ok, but I have read several history books that have lumped them together (as deists). Which, may I say once again, is not what I am doing. I think you have totally misunderstood my comparison.

==I don't get my information from the internet. I study.

==Since I have never asserted those things I will not comment other than to say that I don't agree with them.

==Washington did not attend church on a regular basis. How do you account for his refusal to take communion?

Btw, I do believe that Washington was active in his church (he was, after all, a vestryman). However that is what one would expect from a person of Washington's status. Does it prove he was a Christian? No. Does his refusal to take communion prove he was a deist? No.

==I can't argue with that. However it seems like I read something about Washington not going to church when he knew communion was being served...I can't recall where I read that...it may have been someone else...I will look into it.

==Ok, and this means what? Ben Franklin was a support of George Whitefield but you certainly are not going to try to tell me he was a Christian. This is not proof of personal conversion. I know people today who love to read Christian books, by men like Charles Stanley, and who are good people but who are not saved. So I don't see how this proves that Washington "was" anything more than a social Christian. Again I am not saying he was not saved I am only saying that we cannot know. Only eternity will tell.

==While I believe firmly that Jefferson was a heretic he had a very theological mind. Jefferson's writings on religious issues are very interesting and not simply political. Like reading a book by a member of the Jesus Seminar Jefferson's writings on these issues gives me a headache.

==Thanks, and I am aware of all of that. Novaks book does prove that Washington was not a deist as does many of the things you point out. However, again I must stress this point, none of that proves he was a true Christian. To be convinced of that I must see a continued pattern of true devotion. What I see, in Washington, is a public Christianity. A social convention. He certainly was a Christian in that respect. I am not talking about that however. I am talking about the state of his personal salvation.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

==Washington's social status very much in line with who he was. He was expected to attend church, to be a social Christian, and that is what he did. Just because "all" did not do that does not mean that he did not.

==Ok. This proves he was a true, born again Christian how? Look I am not saying that Washington was not a religious man, he was. I am not saying he was an atheist or deist, he was not. I am saying that I have seen nothing to indicate to me that his religion was more than a social convention. I am dividing the two identities. A person can be a social Christian and still be lost.

==I dealt with many of your points in my response to RalphIII.

==You believe George W Bush is a true Christian? That's interesting. Considering that he has stated, more than once, that he believes that Islam, Judaism, and Christianity all worship the same God. That sounds like heresy to me. What say you?

Bush is a politician, a so-called conservative, a republican, and he needs to votes of Christians. Of course he will seek out support from Southern Baptists, and other Christian groups. So I can't be sure that he is a true believer in Christ. Hopefully he is.

9. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Well Martin, you began the thread questioning whether or not Washington really was a Christian. Some of us answered, giving our arguments as to why we believe that he is. You basically pushed those aside and said again, "prove it". And of course there is no way anyone can prove another's salvation.

I believe George W. Bush is a Christian because he has said so. Because he has been baptized, he reads the Bible, and prays for God's guidance. You cannot prove that he is not.

His doctrine is obviously in error if he really believes that Muslims worship the same god as Christians. That doesn't really bother me a whole lot, since I never thought of him as a theologian. I think that he made those statements in an effort to avoid offending Muslims who may be our allies. In the same way, Jimmy Carter addressed Ayatollah Khomeini as a 'fellow man of God' when he was trying to flatter him. As far as I know, no one questions Jimmy Carter's salvation.

#29 NiteShift, Sep 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2006
  10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Bingo. And, btw, everything I said at the start I said at the end. Look at the blue quote in my reply to Ralph III. We don't know that Washington was truly born again and anyone who says they can is just not being consistant. Certainly Washington was not a deist, and certainly he was not an atheist. He certainly was a religious man (at least in the social sense). Did it go any deeper than that? It's hard to tell. Was he a true Christian? We can't know.

==So claiming, in direct violation of Scripture, that Muslims and Christians worship the same God means nothing? Saying that Muslims and Jews who reject Christ can still enter heaven, in direct violation of the teachings of Jesus, is meaningless? I am sorry but I can't agree with that. If Bush is a Christian he is a very immature Christian who has alot to learn about correct doctrine.

As for being baptized, that is meaningless. Many people who are not truly saved get baptized (see Acts 8:13,18-24, Matt 7:21-23).

Reading the Bible does not make a person a Christian either. Consider that Judas walked with Jesus for over two years yet was still lost (Jn 6:70-71, 17:12).

And I think we all know lost people who pray.

My point? You believe Bush is a Christian because you want to believe that. My point is that his public statements are very troubling and since I don't know him personally I can't say one way or the other. I hope and pray he is a Christian. Either way, however, several of his statements are very troubling.

==Wow, that is a frightening statement. Truth does not matter since a person is not a theologian? Does it take a theologian to understand John 14:6, Acts 4:12, Is 45:21-25, 43:11, 46:9, etc, etc? I don't think it does. Any believer who reads their Bible should know that there is only One God and One way to God (through Christ). There is no excuse for a believer getting this issue wrong. I also believe that the witness of the Holy Spirit would convict a person of this truth as well (1Jn 5:9-12). There is no excuse for compromise on this issue and his compromise should bother all believers. But I suppose that in the modern evangelical church, where politics is more important than absolute truth and correct doctrine, various types of dangerous compromises will occur. :tear:

==So doctrinal compromise is excusable in order to avoid offending people? If that is the case then why did Peter, Paul, James, John, Stephen, and the many Christians who have suffered for their faith, and even the Lord Jesus Himself not employee that excuse? The reason: that is not a valid excuse. True Christians need to stop worry about being popular with a bunch of lost people and start worrying preaching the Biblical Gospel and defending the truth.

==Carter should never have made a false statement like that.

Christians must defend the faith in this world of evil and compromise without fear, without fail, and without flinching (1Pet 3:15, Jude 3). The truth and the Gospel demand nothing less.

"For whoever is ashamed of Me and My Words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when He comes in His glory..." Lk 9:26

11. Ralph III

Ralph III New Member

Martin, I appreciated your original post and it contained legitimate questions in regards to Washington's faith. "Was George Washington a Christian, Deist, or somewhere in between?" In replying I said "He was a very personal Christian, definitely not a Deist". In addition I took issue to again correct some erroneous notions and as posted by a few others.

I agree there is no way to know for certain whether he was a born-again and saved Christian. As Niteshift said, there is no way of knowing with absolute certainty of anyone other than oneself. In my opinion he probably was given all the information and personal accounts. I noted he without question was not a deist and "very personal" with his faith. Such things sincerely suggest he was a real or true Christian.

Your statement
    simply is not accurate. It paints a picture of a person of shallow or no real faith. This just is not an accurate account of George Washington. It is indeed a better description of a Jefferson, whom you subsequently then began comparing. Whom Washington scoffed at himself in his farewell address over religious views.

Yes, Washington often used general language with his public statements and prayers. This so as to appeal to everyone and in addition, the customs/practices were of a different time. However, Washington also often spoke in very personal and sincere language. His family and others also give many accounts of personal prayer or actions by him in these regards!

Your subsequent posts went beyond simply pondering whether he was truly born again or not. They tend to cast doubt to his faith all together. You say you have not compared him to Jefferson as such, but your posts convey these things. Which I and a few others take issue with.

Most these statements or "suggestions" could not be further from the truth! Social convention? You can also debate all you wish as to how often Washington, or anyone for that matter, attended Church in those days. History and historical accounts say he went quite often. As much as possible or could be expected. If we were to be honest, how many of us would travel 3 hours or more on a regular basis for Sunday services? It goes without saying via horseback/carriage and over bad roads and/or inclement weather! Yet he and many of the time did just that. In addition, being a vestryman and supporting his Churches was not something required or expected. It was something a person simply did from the heart and voluntarily. In light of his extraordinary tasks as Commander of our Army and then President of a new Nation. It says a lot about him.

Lastly his adopted daughter Nelly does give an account of his having taken holy "sacraments". Though many, including you, say he never has or did. This would have been Holy Communion, Baptism, and/or Confirmation. All these things are of a public/private devotion and admission of our Lord Jesus as Savior. http://www.stpaulsriverside.org/life/sacraments/sacraments.htm
    As noted he often called upon the Lord to forgive us of our sins and transgressions. These things show a very personal and sincere exhibition of faith. There is nothing “formal” or “cool” in these many instances.

http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/to...deng/parsed&tag=public&part=303&division=div1

http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/to...odeng/parsed&tag=public&part=35&division=div1

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/mgw:@field(DOCID+@lit(gw030362))

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/mgw:@field(DOCID+@lit(gw050226))

My ulr addresses are not coming up at the Library of Congress for some reason. The University of Virginia is fine. You can search there or by date/text at the LOC.

Take care, Ralph

In Christ:godisgood:

#31 Ralph III, Sep 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2006
  12. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

You assume too much. I believe Bush is a Christian because I generally take people at their word regarding matters of faith. Just as I take Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, and Jimmy Carter at their word when they claim to be Christian.

13. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

You ask me for one example of George Washington 'praying fervently', I provide it, and you say that proves nothing.

There's nothing like trying to kick one over the goalposts when they keep moving.