1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Republican Liberty Caucus

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by church mouse guy, Mar 5, 2007.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am praying and asking everyone on the Baptist Board to pray that you add me to your ignore list, Grubbs. Every profile of Ron Paul says that he favors states rights on the abortion issue and he himself said that the federal government has no authority on this issue, yet you are obsessed with your own wisdom on this point and insist that my disagreement with you is my personal sin. I pray that you put me on your ignore list in the name of Jesus.

2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I am praying that you recognize that Ron Paul is not pro-abortion and is actually quite active in defending all life as he adheres to the "consistent life ethic". His promotion of states rights over a Supreme Court deciding on abortion is quite constitutional and is a basic principle this nation was founded upon. If we left it to the states all but the most heinous of states would have outlawed abortion by now but instead we've allowed a few supremes to destroy the lives of 10s of millions and Republicans, such as your boy Giuliani, who go right along with the pograms.

3. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Ron Paul does not support the GOP platform of 1980 as inserted by Ronald Reagan. Nor does Ron Paul support the GOP platforms on abortion of 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, and 2004--all of which are the Reagan platform calling for a constitutional amendment, as everyone knows. Also, everyone knows that Ron Paul says that it is not a federal issue.

And that is all that I have ever said.

If you hate Rudy, that is fine with me, but he is good ole boy, and I have merely said that I am leaning towards him and nothing more except that he would have to agree to run on the Reagan platform.

As for the Republican Liberty Caucus, they are libertarians who operate inside the tent of the GOP but they have their own ideology and do not support everything that a Reagan Republican supports.

So I have never taken the position that you are praying about in the first place, Rufus, but I assume that it is your hostile way of saying that you agree that I have a personal sin for saying what you said that Paul promotes states rights on abortion.

If Ron Paul's supporters preach nothing but hatred for those who do not support libertarianism and call opposition to Ron Paul a sin, how do they think that Ron Paul can win a Republican nomination or carry the GOP?

Rudy has the support of the Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi and former Indianapolis Mayor Steve Goldsmith so there are some big names in the Indiana Republican Party for Rudy but I have not heard of anyone in Indiana being for Ron Paul and Indiana has the number one Republican Party in the USA in that we have voted for the GOP presidential candidate in Indiana every year since 1964. So the GOP has carried Indiana for the White House for the last 40 years and we are Main Street Republicans here and in primary discussions we do not accuse people of sin over an intellectual disagreement, but then I am not a Fundamentalist either.

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

We can go back and forth on this CMG but at the end of the day you are supporting / leaning towards / apologizing for, someone who is in favor of abortion and infanticide. As Christians, in my worldview, these issues should be a priority over party loyalty.

5. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

:tear: Sadly, Rudy does not have the support of the Firemen of New York City

6. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clearly, Rudy would have to promise to run on and support the Reagan GOP platform in order to get the nomination.

By the way, leaning just means that if you had to make a choice you probably would choose that person. It is a technical term used in polling and it does not indicate approval or support but merely a probable (primary) vote and things stand today.

Rudy was in Indianapolis this week and had lunch at a Jewish deli just south of downtown and raised $250,000 at an evening dinner. He was a big hit here because as a New Yorker he knew how to act in a big city like Indy and how to address urban issues.

The Indianapolis newspaper said this about the Indiana GOP:

"McCain is backed by Indiana Attorney General Steve Carter and Gov. Mitch Daniels. Daniels has also, though, praised Giuliani. He said he was unable to meet with him Wednesday but did speak with him by phone.

"Romney is supported by Secretary of State Todd Rokita and Republican National Committee member Jim Bopp."

Rudy said in Indy according to the Indy newspaper, "I think this thing will go up and down, I don't know, four or five times before it's over, maybe a year from now," he said. "An early stage like this, nobody's a front runner, nobody's behind. Everybody has a chance."

A lot of conservatives here in Indiana seem to like Newt but I myself think that he is a dark horse but perhaps Paul is a stalking horse for Newt.

Newt would probably run on the Reagan abortion platform.

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

So for 23 years the plank has been there and it hasn't stopped any abortions. One thing about constitutional amendments that I have noticed is they don't seem to happen. There was supposed to be some marriage amendment that would be put forward if everyone voted for Bush again... But notice that my state already has a constitutional amendment banning sodomite unions, along with 25 others. I imagine that there would be quite a few states with laws against abortions if they were able to do so.

8. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, thank you, J Newman!

I agree with your post. I agree with your viewpoint on sodomite unions, and commend you on the choice of the word "union" as a good term with which to tackle that issue.

The only flaw in the foundation is that, as someone has said, the constitution is all sail and no anchor. This wiggle room has allowed the supreme court to do as they please and the problem was first noticed with the Dred Scot decision ruling that a human being was property.

So we seem safe for the time being on the issue of sodomite unions, as you brilliantly term them, because the wealth and political power of sodomites has not extended to the extent that it has in Canada, Belgium, Spain, and Holland. The federal government has told the Mormons that marriage was one man and one woman. It the long run a constitutional amendment would be a good idea to stop both a reprobate court and a more powerful sodomite community.

On the issue of abortion, I think that a constitutional amendment is necessary as soon as possible. Some states, and I give Vermont as an example, are so liberal that they would vote for abortion. In the war against abortion, only total victory will do. In a sense, the battle was begun on July 4, 1776, when this nation declared that our rights are God-given and our rights include the right to life.

I support the Reagan platform against abortion.

9. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Yet, Bush got the nomination in 2000 and proceeded to strip the GOP platform of some of the plangs that Reagan considered very important.

I would rather have a pro-life candidate who would overturn Roe v. Wade, and then encourage the states to ban abortions, than a pro-abortion candidate who will give lip service to the GOP platform to get in the Whitehouse, and then do nothing to stop the American holocaust!

10. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

This is what happens when you ask CMG something he cannot answer.

11. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, Terry

Sorry, Terry, the problem was that my personal enemy accused me of personal sin for saying correctly it turns out that Paul does not support the Reagan platform because Paul is a libertarian in ill-fitting clothes.

Anyway, he is already history because Fred Thompson has entered the race, leaving Ron Paul to the Libertarians of the Republican Liberty Caucus and the Peroutka supporters in the Constitution Party.

I am leaning towards Thompson now so that should anger the right-wingers even more and I imagine that I will get another lecture about how sinful that I am. And I use to think no Fundamentalists were as bad as Catholics at intolerance but let's just say that 98 percent of Fundamentalists are nice. However, fewer and fewer liberals are nice nowadays as they see their obscene wealth declining.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I seriously doubt that Fred Thompson will enter the presidential race.

13. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have to admit, Ken, that if Thompson did enter the race for President that it would deny your candidate any hope whatsoever. Not only does he support Bush on the war but he also supports the Reagan platform. That would leave the anti-war crowd with the opportunity to switch to the Democrat Party, the anti-war party since the 1960s.

Perhaps, on the issue of peace and war, the so-called Republican Liberty Caucus will swith to the Democrat Party and finally get some clothes that fit them properly.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ron Paul is not a warmonger and an advocate of limited government. Therefore, those of us who are not warmongers and who support the idea of limited government - regardless of party affiliation or lack thereof - will support Ron Paul. To support any GOP candidate other than Ron Paul is to support President Bush's failed policies in Iraq and in the war against al Qaeda in general and President Bush's big government policies domestically.

15. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ron Paul is anti-war in Iraq and also anti-death penalty. That alone makes it curious as how the Fundamentalists could support someone who will not execute murderers. Ron Paul does not stand on the Republican Platform on abortion written by Ronald Reagan in 1980 and contained in the platforms of 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, and 2004. Although Ron Paul cannot win any primary, he does represent a total rejection of Reagan.

The ill-fitting clothes of Ron Paul betray him for what he is. Wasn't he the founder of the Republican Liberty Caucus?

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

The roots of the Republican Liberty Caucus can be traced to three precursor organizations from which it derived most of its early memberships: the Libertarian Republican Alliance [LRA], the "Radical Caucus" of the Libertarian Party [LP], and the Libertarian Republican Organizing Committee [LROC]. Joe Gentili, Larry Penner and Gerry O'Brien founded the LRA in Brooklyn in 1972. The organization disbanded in 1981 in light of the growing successes of the LP during the same period. The "Radical Caucus" split from the LP, but failed to develop into a viable organization. The LROC, founded in 1988 by Justin Raimondo, Eric Garris and Colin Hunter, developed a large mailing list and supported several Republican federal campaigns in California, but its efforts to expand into a national organization were not successful. Although the LROC was active for seven years, publishing "The Libertarian Republican" newsletter, participation in the organization dwindled and they eventually lost their financial support.

The organization "Republican Liberty Caucus" was first founded by Vernon Robinson and used in the 1976 gubernatorial campaign of Art Pope of North Carolina by a group of libertarians supporting his campaign. Later in the 1980s, the North Carolina RLC was listed for a time as a state chapter of the Libertarian Republican Organizing Committee (LROC). Initially, the organization was listed as a state chapter of the North Carolina LROC. The NC Chapter first disaffiliated from LROC in 1988, but then became inactive after the elections in 1988.

The organization as it exists today however was expanded in 1990. During a Young Republicans Convention, in 1990 Eric Dondero Rittberg called a meeting with a group of Florida Libertarian Republicans, including Phil Blumel, Tom Walls and Rex Curry, to break with LROC and form the Florida Republican Liberty Caucus. The organization was expanded by Eric Dondero Rittberg on a national level in Tallahassee, Florida in May of 1990. Other existing LROC affiliates, most notably New Jersey and Virginia, quickly disaffiliated with LROC and joined with the FL RLC to form a coalition. In 1991 LROC went defunct. Dondero-Rittberg was elected First National Chairman. A year later former Libertarian Party Presidential candidate Roger MacBride joined the group.

On April 6, 1991, at the Naples, Florida estate of Roger MacBride, a meeting was held to formally organize the national RLC and plan for a July 1991 "coming out party" at the National Young Republicans Convention. Amongst other things it was decided at this meeting to start the RLC newsletter "Republican Liberty" publication funded by MacBride, as well create the RLC "Council of Trustees". Today the RLC is a national organization with 12 chartered state organizations and members in every state.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Liberty_Caucus

17. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

For you to support Thompson is precisely what I would expect you to do. He is a conservative Republican and you claim to be a conservative Republican yourself.

18. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, thanks!

You know, Terry, I have had my fill of Libertarians here in Indianapolis and I am not the only Republican to say so. They have cost the GOP a couple of victories in this Congressional district in years past before white flight hit Indianapolis, which is now a Democrat city in a Democrat county. The Libertarians are unwilling to take a stand against the drugs, prostitution, and sodomite prostitution that is sweeping openly over Indianapolis right now--they want all those things legalized when the streets are no longer safe for a lady after dark with these things illegal.

I have never agreed with Libertarians that there should be no death penalty or that there should not be a federal constitutional amendment to end abortion. I think that the Republican Liberty Caucus is a lost cause. I don't think that Fred Thompson is very exciting but I do believe that he is a true-blue Reagan Republican.