1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Results of The Founders Ministry, PDC and Calvinism in Combination

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Jun 22, 2009.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

CCM and leaving God cannot always be equated. There is some very excellent CCM and some terrible just as there are some great hymns and some heretical.

If a church has people who are doing ministry then it says that church is not pastor led but pastor equipped. Seldom do I find those who are actively doing ministry who are all that concerned about the music. They are focused on reaching people and do not limit their experience with God to an ecstatic feeling prompted by a particular kind of music.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pastor Larry [​IMG]
    So if a pastor is called under one belief, and then changes, he has a responsibility to do what?

Or he could take it to the church and let them decide if he stays or goes. The North Pompano Church could have fired Dr. Reisenger had it desired. It obviously didn't desire.

3. RAdam

RAdam New Member

You might want to research what the bible says about the music service.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Because no one is saying it is wrong.
    You've made an incorrect leap in (il)logic.

I'm sorry...but if you were to show up at our church on a Sunday morning, attend both our services...you would not be able to, from Scripture, show where we had "drifted."

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem I would have with that is the idea that Jesus had quite a variety of people as his disciples. I would never have a problem with someone who lovingly disagrees with me but I do with troublemakers. Years ago my pastor my was in a Bible study I led. We knew that we disagreed on some theological issues. It was good for us to have discussions. I know that both of us grew from those times. People knew that we disagreed on some issues but they also saw how we treated one another. It provided an example to others. His actions toward me also provided me a great example of how I should treat others. That church is very healthy church because people can diagree but they also agree to serve God and one another.

I think having those with calvinistic theology and arminian theology can be good if dealt with properly. It does not have to be divisive but there does need to be a mtual respect for one another.

6. yshwa4life

yshwa4life New Member

i think i may have found a home here. i'm SO thankful that you guys are willing to go deep like this and yet still are able to maintain a sense of comradery..it's VERY hard to find out here. As someone who has just begun to peel the cap off of this debate it's refreshing to see it being discussed like this with such a wonderful combination of zeal for the Word of God coupled with a real freedom to disagree without going bazonkeroidz.

Thank God for Baptists! :love2:

:jesus:

#46 yshwa4life, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2009
  7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

You'll understand the point of this story at the end. Years ago, when I was courting my future wife, I kept the road hot between West Tennessee and Western Kentucky--105 miles from Jackson, TN to Wickliffe, KY.

As you travel up US 51 North you come to a nice community called Clinton, Kentucky. At the edge of town there was a billboard which read, "Clinton, Kentucky. Home of 1,500 happy people and one old grouch."

Here at the Baptist Board, we have a bunch of happy people and a few old grouches. And on occasion, even on of our happy people will get a bit grouchy, but they get over it. Enjoy your time here, and welcome.

8. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

Why are you calling me "old"? You have no idea how old I am!! :mad::laugh:

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Now back to the OP. It referred to a website which was called a "frightening expose of the Founders Ministry, PDC and Calvinism..."

I do know some Founders-friendly churches, whose pastors are Calvinists. I don't know any avowedly Calvinistic churches which are Purpose-Driven.

And--it seems to me that in order to call something an expose, it must reveal something that has been hidden, or revealed to only a select few. The Founders website is there for the surfing, at no charge. John Reisinger's story at North Pompano Baptist Church is easy to find on the site. Founders publishes a quarterly journal. One can't expose something that isn't hidden.

If Founders wants to hide anything, it does a lousy job. Particularly since the purpose of the website, its journal, and promotion of writings by scholars and pastors are designed to reach as many people as possible with the doctrines of grace. Its sole aim is to seek to return Southern Baptists to the doctrinal roots of their Founders.

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

But Tom, anyone who studies the History of the SBC knows the roots of the SBC were not only in the doctrines of grace but were shared roots of the Reformed AND Non. Though many were in fact of the Reformed view the creation of the SBC was not soley of the Reformed view.

11. Allan

Allan Active Member

This was something that kinda got me. I haven't heard of any either, not that they aren't out there but apparently they are in the minority. But this aspect did take me somewhat aback.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What does it say?

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Our church was like this a few years back. The majority of our elders were calvinists, yet we employed the PDC model. We don't anymore, but I don't think they are as rare as you might guess. One view doesn't preclude the other.

14. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Well, it says: "teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."

You know what is missing? I'll give you a hint - it's something that was missing from Baptist, and most other non-catholic demonations', services until the 19th century.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you promoting an argument from silence?

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

Children's church?

Monthly Business meetings?

Church websites?

Play-doh in the preschool area?

(I would say the suspense is killing me...but it's probably not. I'm just being a smart-aleck now).

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tom Butler [​IMG]
    I do know some Founders-friendly churches, whose pastors are Calvinists. I don't know any avowedly Calvinistic churches which are Purpose-Driven.

Oh, I don't doubt that they're out there. I just never heard of any. Sheltered life, I guess. BTW, webdog, why did your church drop the PDC model?

18. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Well, let me back up a little. I don't know if you'd describe Crystal Cathedral (Dr. Schuller) as PDC driven. But their doctrinal statement is plainly Calvinistic. Or it was the last time I read it.

19. yshwa4life

yshwa4life New Member

that's that positive thinking nonsense right?

#59 yshwa4life, Jun 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2009
  20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Baloney! :BangHead: