1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Roger Clemens Congressional Hearing

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Ps104_33, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

"The Roger Clemens Congressional hearing just ended here on Capitol Hill after four hours of nail biting testimony.
    Why is Congress spending time on baseball? We have a deficit that is now heading back up over $400 billion. We have unsustainable programs in Social Security and Medicare. We have no control over our immigration policies and radical terrorists around the world who want to kill us.
    The why is clear. It's great spectacle and generates lots of publicity and attention for members of Congress. But Major League Baseball is a private enterprise, albeit one with a federally granted monopoly. The products alleged to have been used are legal with a prescription.
    It seems to me that this is an issue for baseball to work out in its own rules to please its customers, the fans. It is not something that rises to the level of Congressional investigations.
    But gee, if we didn't do this people might spend more time looking at earmarks and overspending. Now we wouldn't want that would we?"
    http://greeneyeshade.townhall.com/blog/g/9bccb03c-9124-4cdf-b9d6-589561b8e3a7

I dont know if this topic belongs in politics or sports but apparenly neither does our Congress. One thig that I find fascinating about all this and maybe some of you can explain. Why are all the Republicans siding with Clemens and all the Democrats siding with McNamee? Where does the partisanship come into play here?

2. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

And George Washington is rolliing over in his grave...

3. SeekingHisTruth

SeekingHisTruth New Member

It did seem to have an air of partisanship although it wasn't along party lines directly as there were some on both sides that favored the other. But I would suspect that at least it looks as though it is the Democrats being for the "little guy" and the Republicans being for the "rich".

Not saying it was like that, but it certainly gave that air about it.

Roger just needs to fess up and go on with his life.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

We are assuming Roger is lying. Why? Is everyone who is accused of steroids automatically assumed to be guilty? Seems so. Even Canseco gets some cred, which is laughable.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't the fella that administered that HGH confess?

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Macnamee and Pettite both have testimony that point to Clemens lying. Also, Clemens initially said Macnamee didn't inject his wife...but his wife's statement states she has used HGH. Clemens' story is falling apart, and I hope he receives the same treatment Bonds is. I'm sure Pettite only "misheard" what Clemens was telling him :rolleyes:

Also, what do Macnamee and Pettite have to win by saying Clemens used HGH? Pettite and Clemens were tight friends...and Macnamee basically lost his career because of it.

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I agree web, it is not looking good for the Rocket.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

Because sports is the most important topic to the American sheeple and the topic of choice to keep their minds off war and their worsening economic state. Bread and circuses. Sports channel and cheap beer.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

my thoughts:

Congress is a bunch of busybodies. They need a hobby or something.
    Clemens is toast.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm not saying I think Rocket is telling the truth. I'm just saying we now have reached a point in baseball (and I believe in larger culture) where we believe prima facie that all who are accused are guilty. Guilty until proven innocent. Why? Because there's smoke and fire. Now, we see one tiny ash - boom, we think there's a forest fire.

Can we not at least realize that the Mitchell Report could be inaccurate? That McNamee could be lying? We should realize this, but we don't.

Interesting that McNamee has a doctorate from a diploma mill. But that's another story :)

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Yes. Why the heck are these morons calling hearings on this and on SpyGate? Here's an idea: fix the AMT, take care of our soldiers/veterans, and work on cleaning your own house. No wonder this congress has the lowest approval ratings in the history of the body.

12. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that would require thought, ideas, working together... something neither side of the aisle knows about.

George Carlin once said "If 'pro' is the opposite of 'con', what is the opposite of progress?" :laugh:

13. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Clemens is a freaking liar, he lies about everything, he says one thing and does another and has been doing that leading up to leaving the Red Sox. He is a piece of trash and the only good thing I can say about him is that he was a Longhorn.

The man didn't hesitate to throw his wife under the bus, saying he had no idea she was taking HGH.

Oh, and what is wrong with Jose Canseco, or his twin brother Ozzie for that matter. The first person to go into the 40/40 club, one member of the orginal Bash Brothers. And he had the uncanny ability to knock fly balls over the wall with his head.

He was a good ball player, just not that bright. But when did he become a liar and lose his credibility?

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Canseco's cred has never been taken seriously. His book was deemed to have tons of errors. The fact that the Mitchell report perhaps echoed some of his accusations in places is no great endorsement. A broken clock is right twice a day. His lifestyle in general leads you to question his penchant for bending the truth. His run-ins with the law are legion.

Again, I'm not defending Rocket. But it's just troubling that in our society, guilt is presumed. Accusation=conviction in the court of public opinion. All the BooYah Boys at ESPN want are headlines for their 18 networks, publications, websites, blogs, books, so they can sell more coffee mugs, diapers, etc.