1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured THE SABBATH DAY

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Alex2165, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Alex2165

Alex2165 Active Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Acts 13.14.27.42.44

According to the Law of GOD (Law of Moses) congregation must be assembled on the Sabbath Day only. The Sabbath Day was blessed and sanctified by All MIGHTY GOD Himself (Genesis 2.2-3), it became the HOLY DAY and required to be observe every Seventh Day without any exceptions.

Jesus Christ the Son of GOD observed Sabbath faithfully (Luke 4.16) as His Father Commanded, and he fully fulfill all the Laws that His Father gave to Israel to observe and to follow. Jesus never violated the Sabbath Day, actually He never violate any Statute or Commandment of the Law of Moses.

In verse 14 Paul and Barnabas came to synagogue on the Sabbath Day in the land of Gentiles, in Antioch of Pisidia, the same custom also recorder and in following chapters of Acts.

It was unthinkable for Apostles, or for any early Christian for that matter, to worship GOD on any other day of the week besides Sabbath. Despite the facts that GOD can be worship at any day and at any time, the Sabbath Day is especially and particularly designed and purposed to imitate GOD in His activity of the creation of the world, not mentioning to imitate Him in His Personality and Character of truth, righteousness, justice, and love, all of which recorded in His Laws, by everyone who are truly loyal and faithful to Him.

Teachings of the Law by teachers and prophets of GOD always had been done on the Sabbath Day. This indicates that the Sabbath was the prime Day when teachings of the GOD'S Laws must be learned, explained, and memorized, to enforce it as the Law of the land on all of its inhabitants (verse 27), Jews and Gentiles.

Gentiles in Pisidia who heard the Word of GOD from Paul and Barnabas in their synagogue, "begging that these things might be spoken to them the next Sabbath." (verse 42). All Gentiles knew very well that Jews worship GOD only on the Sabbath Day, and they completely accepted Gospel of Christ from these two Jews, and without any reasonable doubt begged them to teach them and on the next Sabbath Day (verse 42), which is indeed happened on the next Sabbath Day (verse 44).

The Lord rested on the Sabbath Day is not aphorism but reality. Word "Rest" under this context means WORSHIP. Six day a week we shall work, but on the Seventh Day we must REST AND WORSHIP GOD. Six days are for us, but the Seventh Day is for GOD only.

The Kingdom of GOD also compared to "REST." (Hebrews 4.4-5.9-10). Those who intent to reach the Kingdom of GOD should also think of the Sabbath as GOD'S Kingdom there is GOD rests with all His subjects. Violating Sabbath, in this case, means violating the Kingdom of GOD.

It will be a time then all mankind will worship GOD of Israel on the Sabbath Day (Isaiah 66.23).

What kind of reward will be for those who observe the Sabbath Day besides having Eternal Life at the end (referring to Hebrews 4)? It will be the blessing of GOD without measure (Isaiah 58.13-14).

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    i realize that you are SDA, but I have a question. Are you the kind of SDA that believes that we who congregate on Sundays going to hell? I know a few like that.

And I see that you believe that because you go to church on Saturday that your reward from God will be substantial.

3. Alex2165

Alex2165 Active Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    I do not know what the SDA is.

I also do not know who will go to Hell and for what reason.

I only expressing here my opinion on the basis of the Bible, with some verses as proof for my point of view.

So far no one responded to my post with the proof from the Holy Scripture that Christian shall worship on Sunday instead of Saturday.

I am not just going to the church to seat and listen the same monotony over and over again, but I am going to the church on the Sabbath Day, blessed and sanctified by GOD Himself, to join the holy congregation, to study the Bible and to worship GOD that the Lord our GOD prescribed for all to observe and never changed it.

I do not blame anyone who worship GOD on Sunday, it is up to the people themselves, to choose for themselves what of Commandments of GOD they want to obey and what do not.

As it written, "Everyone will receive his/her reward according to their deeds." (Jeremiah 17.10) (Matthew 16.27)

Revelation 22.12
    12."See, I am coming soon, My reward is with Me to repay according to everyone’s work."

4. Cathode

Cathode Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

You misunderstand mate.

We worship on God’s Sabbath.

Hebrews 4
    “Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2 For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed. 3 Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,

“So I declared on oath in my anger,
    ‘They shall never enter my rest.’”

God’s Sabbath is entered into when we believed the Gospel.

Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,”

The Jews who refused to believe in Jesus and continued to practice Israel’s Sabbath, do not enter God’s promised Sabbath.

“Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.”

Don’t perish by following the Jewish example of disobedience. When they refused to accept the Gospel, they refused to enter God’s Sabbath Rest.

So when you worship on Jewish ethnic Sabbath you are saying you refuse to enter God’s Sabbath by not receiving the Gospel, and join them in disobedience.

The Jews fell short of God’s Sabbath when they refused the Gospel.

“So I declared on oath in my anger,
    ‘They shall never enter my rest.’”

“Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it.“

Don’t be joined with the disobedient by maintaining their ethnic Sabbath and not entering God’s Sabbath. Don’t fall short, if you stand with the disobedient, you will receive the Judgement of the disobedient.

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seventh Day Adventist.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Alex2165

Alex2165 Active Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Thank you for clarifying it for me.

I am not Seven Day Adventist, but I respect them greatly for their worship on the Sabbath Day.

As I mentioned before I do not belong to any denomination, I except Holy Scripture as it is.

7. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It’s entering God’s Sabbath that is important, not Israel’s sabbath.

8. Alex2165

Alex2165 Active Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    GOD'S Sabbath and Israel's Sabbath are the same - not to do any WORK on the Seven Sabbath Day but have the holy congregation. There is nothing else for which the Sabbath is dedicated for.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interestingly enough, we are told that Church met on the first day of the week (Acts 20). It was on Sunday that they had the "Supper" (probably not only Sunday....but we are told on Sunday), worshipped with hymns and Scripture (things that they could not do fully at the Temple in a Christian sence...especially Gentile Christians).

Paul went to the temple on Saturday "as was his custom" (I'd assume most Jewish Christians did).

There is no indication that Gentile Christians worshipped on Saturday as a congregation. But there is that they met on Sunday.

Also, for the believer Christ is our Sabbath (Heb 4). Christians are not under the Law of Moses.

That said, I discourage believers from prescribing specific days to others as set aside as holy because that woukd be disobedie to God (a sin).

Let those convicted that they should worship on Saturday do so, and those convicted to observe Subday do so.

Otherwise the log needs to be removed from your eye.

10. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, the Jews didn’t enter God’s Sabbath, they did not accept Jesus, they did not believe.

Read the scripture I posted.

God’s Sabbath is another day, pay attention.

Why would God say that they will never enter His Sabbath? They were already practicing their Sabbath. God’s Sabbath is different.

How do you enter God’s Sabbath?

Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,”

The Jews didn’t believe in Jesus, and didn’t enter God’s Sabbath, they practice their own Sabbath.

#10 Cathode, Mar 13, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  11. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As Lord of the Sabbath, Jesus had the right, power, and authority to dispense it in any way He pleased. The Lord of the Sabbath had come, and with His death and resurrection He became the fulfillment of our “Sabbath rest.” The salvation we have in Christ has made the old law of the Sabbath no longer needed or binding. When Jesus said, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath” (Mark 2:27), Jesus was attesting to the fact that, just as the Sabbath day was originally instituted to give man rest from his labors, so did He come to provide us rest from laboring to achieve our own salvation by our works. Because of His sacrifice on the cross, we can now forever cease laboring to attain God’s favor and rest in His mercy and grace... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Alex2165

Alex2165 Active Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Acts 20.6-7

Everything in these days was done as it should according to the Law of Moses.

7.And on the first day of the week when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to depart the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight.

"To break bread" means to eat food, which is often mentioned in the Bible in such form on many different occasions.

This was not Passover Day and Holy Congregation that must be gathered on the Sabbath Day, according to the Law, surely they already done it on the previous Sabbath Day (read verse 6), but it was the farewell gathering for Paul's departure the next day (Monday), with food serve and his final speech on Sunday at midnight perhaps until following Monday, as it could be done on the any day of the week.

You made mistake indicating Sunday as Passover Day in verse 7, when in actuality Paul and his companions already observed Passover Day in Philippi.

6.And we sailed from Philippi after the days of Unleavened Bread, and came to them at Troas within five days, and there we stayed seven days.

Passover is celebrated only one time in Year and Paul and his companions already done in Philippi on the Sabbath Day.

So, you confuse ordinary gathering, in this case the farewell gathering for Paul's departure with the Passover Day.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Their gathering was over a meal. We also know that on the first day of the week (when they gathered) the collection (offering) was taken.

Your confusion is related to the misunderstanding that we are (or have ever been) under the Mosaic Law. You also miss the significance of the Sabbath.

The only reference that we have in Scripture of the church meeting as congregation is on the first day of the week. There is no reference that the church met on Saturday.

BUT you are ignoring the fact that it is a sin to prescribe for another what day to set aside.

There was no command to meet on Sunday - only an observation that they did. Regarding the collection, Paul instructed it be done as that was the meeting.

If you want to follow the early Jewish Christian practice then you would gather as a chur he's on Sunday and attend a Jewish synagogue as your cultural practice on Saturday.

14. MMDAN

MMDAN New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now although God's rest on the seventh day (Genesis 2:3) did foreshadow a future sabbath law, there is no Biblical record of the Sabbath before the children of Israel left the land of Egypt. Nowhere in Scripture is there any hint that sabbath keeping was practiced from Adam to Moses.

The word "Sabbath" first appears in Exodus 16:23 - Then he said to them, “This is what the Lord has said: ‘Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to the Lord. Bake what you will bake today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning.

Of course, Jesus Christ kept the sabbath day. He was born under the law to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. (Galatians 4:4-5) This does not mean that Christians are under the law of Moses.

In regard to the sabbath day in the book of Acts, Paul's work of entering into the synagogues on the sabbath was evangelism and not sabbath worship. Notice that these were "unbelievers" in Christ before Paul preached to them. They believed in the Jewish system, but the Bible says in Acts 14:1, that they BECAME believers proving Paul's work there was evangelism and not sabbath worship.

The Greeks were Jewish converts to Judaism known as proselytes. They practiced the law of Moses and kept the sabbath. The only Greeks that were in the synagogue would be these proselytes. These Greeks were not yet Christians. Acts 14:1 - "In Iconium they entered the synagogue of the Jews together and spoke in such a manner that a large number of people believed, both of Jews and of Greeks."

Further in the book of Acts, we read:

Acts 17:4 - "And some of them were persuaded and joined Paul and Silas, along with a large number of the God-fearing Greeks and a number of the leading women.

Acts 18:4 - "And he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath and trying to persuade Jews and Greeks."

In regard to Hebrews 4:9, the 'sabbatismos' (word found nowhere else in the Bible) rest that remains for the people of God is the perpetual sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Lord, in contrast to the weekly sabbath day kept by the Israelites under the law of Moses. (Exodus 31:16-17; 35:1-3; Deuteronomy 5:12-15)

In regard to Isaiah 66:23, this simply teaches that from month to month and from week to week, God’s people will worship Him. In the new heaven and the new earth, we read there will have no need of the sun or moon, there will be no night there, but one perpetual day and the glory of God will illuminate it. (Revelation 21:23-25).

How then could there be a cycle of seven days that would allow for literally keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law? The Isaiah passage simply means that God’s people will perpetually worship Him in contrast to keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law.

Furthermore, if one insists on weekly sabbath observances based on Isaiah 66:23, then one also needs to observe new moons as well. Yet from what I hear, Sabbatarians don’t observe new moons, which is inconsistent. New moons require night, hence Sabbatarians have night in heaven, yet there is no day and night cycles in heaven. You cannot have "new moon to new moon" or "sabbath days" without day and night.

Sabbath keeping with all it's rules and regulations, was part of a covenant with Israel (Exodus 16:23, 29; 31:12-18; 35:1-3; Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3, 32; Numbers 15:32-36; 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13; Amos 8:5; Nehemiah 10:31) that is not binding on Christians under the new covenant.

*Colossians 2:16 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. Alex2165

Alex2165 Active Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    "16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a feast day or a new moon or a sabbath day:"

16.Therefore, let no one act as your judge in regard to food, or drink, or in respect to a festival, or a new moon, or a Sabbath Day,
    17.things which are a mere shadow of what is to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.
    KSB

In regard to Meat (Food), Drink, Holiday Festival, or a New Moon, all of them are physical Commandments of the Law of Moses, about which newly converted Jews and Gentiles argued about, to observe them or not.

Paul also mentioned in this group and Sabbath Day, but not because they argued about should they observe Sabbath or not, but they argued what is allowed them to do on the Sabbath without defiling it, and what not allowed.

While Law of Moses precisely specifies what to do and what not to do on the Sabbath Day, this issue spills over mentioned situations in the Law and became much wider in reality of life.

The same issue also debated during OT times and still today among many Jewish groups and Christians who observe Sabbath.

So, Sabbath stays as it is without any changes or alterations.

But verses 17th continues the same direction of thought and call these physical commandments "mere shadow of what is to come."

Means that all these physical rituals and holidays will represent its Spiritual Side then the right time will come, and they already did it when Christ came and explained all of them in their Spiritual Terms, Forms, and Meanings in His speeches and teachings, which is call today as His Gospel.

The second part of the verse 17 explains that the Spiritual Substance of all physical rituals and commandments, all of them belongs to Spiritual Substance of Christ and His Spiritual Kingdom, as the Main Substance of which He and His Kingdom are made of, based upon, lives, and functioning on.

By bending and twisting Holy Scripture many Christians trying to dismiss Sabbath as essential part in worshiping GOD.

Incomplete in their mind, knowledge, and understanding of the Word of GOD, they are fabricating, making up, adding and deducting from the Holy Scripture its essence, its meaning, and its truth.

But this is not comes as surprise, because all of it was done from the very beginning when the Law of GOD and its Gospel was given to Moses.

For many it is very hard to stand in truth of the Holy Scripture, particularly for those who are pretended to be a Christians but in reality, are not.

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Keith Mullins

Keith Mullins Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    These statements tell me that I am ignorant and have no understanding of Scripture. They also imply that I am pretending to be Christian but I am not.

I certainly do not wish to remain in such a state so hopefully you can help me understand.

If understand your post, I should worship only on the Sabbath and dedicate it as a day of rest. Is this correct? Please provide scripture to support if this is true

Also, what is permitted and what is forbidden? When does said day of rest begin and end? Is it by the Jewish calendar or Gregorian?

I confess that I do not understand the Scripture as well as I should and am always looking for opportunities to grow.

19. Alex2165

Alex2165 Active Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    This post was made as response to previous post and replies about Sabbath.

It directed to those who are denying Sabbath as Holy, Sanctified, and the Day of Worship GOD, preferring Sunday instead according to human tradition.

My posts concerning Sabbath do not target any particular person but target whole human tradition that made against Statutes and Ordinances of the Holy Scripture (your Bible).

If you feel personally offended, it is not because it personally relates to you, as in the same way many other arguments on this site between people concerning religion and its matters as they posted here.

But if you still personally offended, I cannot help you, because I, like everybody else in this forum, expressing my own point of view and my own opinion according to that I learned from the Bible.

I receive many negative comments and positive as well on my posts, and I respect all opinion.

I already posted number of times passages from the Bible concerning Sabbath in my previous posts and will do it again for you. I hope you do not play games with me by asking to provide for you proof concerning worship on the Sabbath Day, wasting my time. I prefer if you do your own homework concerning passages on the Sabbath.

Hebrews 3.11.18, 4.3-6.9-11, Isaiah 66.23, 58.13-14. These are only few from many other written that revealed importance of worship GOD on the Sabbath Day.

Book of Acts particularly mentioning numerous times worship of GOD by Jews and Gentiles on the Sabbath Day by early Christians. Peter, Paul, and their companions, all teach about Christ in the synagogues only on the Sabbath Day.

As I mentioned many times before, we can worship, celebrate, praise and glorify GOD on any day of the week or even every day of the week. But the Sabbath Day is Blessed and Sanctified by GOD Personally on the Seventh Day, on which a human must stop all his work of six days and give the Seventh Day to GOD by praying and praising Him as it recorded in the Bible.

Because the Seventh Sabbath Day was Sanctified and Blessed by GOD Himself (Genesis 2.2-3), those who worship on the Sabbath Day also especially Blessed and Sanctified, because they obey GOD'S Command.

GOD Blessed and Sanctified Sabbath Day long before Law of Moses was given, and so, because of it the Sabbath remains the Universal Holiday for all humanity and for those who respect GOD and obey His Command written in the Law of Moses.

Jesus Christ Himself obeyed Sabbath Day to the end, and if you call yourself Christian, why do you not do what Jesus followed and obeyed, but follow someone else instead?

You also ask which calendar to use? It does not matter, use current calendar if you like.

20. Keith Mullins

Keith Mullins Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I am not offended at all. Just looking to learn.
    My question regarding the calendar wasn't very clear. I am wondering if the Sabbath starts at 6:00 pm on Friday or midnight Saturday?