1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The SBC: Poll for Southern Baptists

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Rev. G, Oct 4, 2002.

?
  1. The SBC is the strongest denomination in the world.

19.0%
  2. The SBC has some weaknesses, but overall it is healthy.

39.7%
  3. The SBC is headed in the right direction with the conservative resurgence.

19.0%
  4. The SBC has gone downhill since the fundamentalist takeover.

22.4%
  5. The SBC is in dire need of spiritual renewal.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Fellow Southern Baptists:

What kind of spiritual condition do you think the SBC is in presently?

Rev. G

2. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMHO, the SBC could be stronger if guys like Patterson and Pressler didn't have to be in the middle of everything. It seems like they are a "presbytrey" that decide on who should be Convention president, how the BFM should be used, etc. But in a way I am still pro-SBC.

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

This is an interesting answer. I have always supported the conservative movement of getting liberal professors out of our seminaries...the ones who preach evolution, etc.; however, I see the SBC (as with all human efforts) the same way you do. I did not see the problem until I read Pressler's book and realized how egotistical and controlling these people are. The catholic church probably started with "well meaning" controllers back in history. I do believe in Pressler's theology and I do agree that conservatism is more correct, but the conservative leaders tend to be controlling, dominating and power/money hungry. Although they don't say it, look at where the new conservative churches are headed----Megachurches with thousands of members and a pastor who sits in a Presidential office suite....a long way from starting a mission and having a traveling preacher in it for Christ, because there was very little money. Politics were played out in Pressler's book like any powerful corporation. It was who you know and how powerful you were to make the changes---whether they were right or wrong.

I don't know, I like the SBC as it is, but I am becoming a little afraid of where we are going because I see "ego","power","money" and other issues becoming controlling factors. In Pressler's mind, I'm sure he has justified himself because of his beliefs, but what if he was on the other side? We as Southern Baptists have a long road ahead of us......as do all denominations that preach the Word of God.

4. Monergist

Monergist New Member

I could vote for #3 and #5.

The conservative resurgence is a step in the right direction.

But we desperately need to recover a biblical view of holiness, church discipline, evangelism, revival -- as well as the doctrines of grace.

http://www.founders.org/

[ October 04, 2002, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: TimothyW ]

5. Music Man

Music Man New Member

Ditto, and may I add true, God centered worship.

SDG,
    Chris

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am fearful of the "influence" that the SBC leaders are trying to have on the churches. That and the conservative leaders seems to have a hard time remembering what they promised to do and not do as well.

7. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Yes, of course [​IMG]

8. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Gentlemen, I would say these are fine answers. Let's take it a bit further, though....

What is a "biblical view of holiness," and why is it needed in the SBC? Is it lacking?

Does church discipline need to be practiced in the SBC? Here is a question that will get the fur flying, I'm sure - Should Charles Stanley, one of the Fundamentalist leaders in the SBC, have come under church discipline (even to a mild degree) because of the deterioration of his marriage? :confused:

What is a biblical view of evangelism, in your opinion? Aren't we the "top" Great Commission denomination in the world? We have over 16 million Southern Baptists. [​IMG]

What is a biblical view of revival, in your opinion? Shouldn't we have at least one or two a year? [​IMG]

Rev. G

[ October 04, 2002, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Rev. G ]

9. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never wished I was a Southern Baptist before - until today. Since I'm not, I can't vote in this poll! And since I can't vote in this poll, I can't view the results! Waaa! Waaa! :( [​IMG]

Rev. G., from time to time kept us abreast of how the vote is going, ok?

[P.S., we need an icon that's like a baby screaming with mouth wide open! :D ]

10. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

* The SBC is the strongest denomination in the world. 0%

* The SBC has some weaknesses, but overall it is healthy. 12%

* The SBC is headed in the right direction with the conservative resurgence. 41%

* The SBC has gone downhill since the fundamentalist takeover. 18%

* The SBC is in dire need of spiritual renewal. 29%

11. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Rev. G. As I read this I had this thought, a person could believe that the "SBC is headed in the right direction with the conservative resurgence," and yet also believe that the "SBC is in dire need of spiritual renewal."

12. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

You are exactly right! I'm not sure how to edit the poll, but folks can certainly state that on a post. I wish they would!

Rev. G

13. Monergist

Monergist New Member

14. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Just FYI: You might be interested in taking a look at the website for Great Awakening Ministries. The purpose of the GAM is to help churches return to a biblical view of evangelism, discipleship and revival (shameless plug, I know). www.great-awakening.org

Thank you very much for your honest and thoughtful reply. You have stated things quite well.

Rev. G

15. rhoneycutt

rhoneycutt New Member

IMHO the SBC in 3 to 5 years on the path it is going will be irevelant as far as making a spiritual difference, It will join the IFB community (if its not already there) and will be looked upon by mainstream Christians as uneducated and silly. By the way I already think they are silly!!!

16. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Interesting site. [​IMG] Is it yours?

17. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Care to explain?

18. David Cooke Jr

David Cooke Jr New Member

Don't forget the cash they have. Some of it does go to legitimate missions overseas to plant churches and preach the gospel. So the international effects of the SBC will continue for some time, as long as they can get their missionaries to keep signing what ever BF&M is in print that year. That being said, the SBC is headed closer and closer to theological and social irrelevance. I don't see people listening to anything the SBC has to say. They'll just consider the source and stop listening.

19. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

I'm starting to like Rev. G. There's nothing like truth telling.

[ October 07, 2002, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan ]

20. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Timothy:

Yes, brother, it is "my" ministry site.

Jonathan:

I take that as a high compliment, brother!

Rev. G