1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The seeker friendly movement in the Fundamentalist movement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Feb 21, 2013.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But why are you getting down on others who don't use your primary way of evangelism? Is it a case of "Do it my way or the highway?"

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What do you do for the elderly who cannot read due to bad vision and who are bed-bound. Are they just relegated to the lost?

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point, Ann.

And what would he do in a Confucianist country like Japan, China or Korea, where everything revolves around relationships? I've seen a few saved through direct evangelism, but more saved through relationship evangelism. I once counselled an erring man (at his wife's request) for a whole year before he got saved. The man I teach the Bible to every week has been coming for over 1 1/2 years and is still not saved. Direct evangelism? Yep, did that with both of these men. They just weren't ready yet. A relationship was crucial.

4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apology accepted...

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I preach in a language they can understand.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it a a case of do it the Bible Way or the highway. The Bible way is this.

LAW TO THE PROUD & GRACE TO THE HUMBLE

People that disagree with this disagree with the Bible.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. The Bible way is "Go ye into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature." The Great Commission nowhere says anything similar to your statement here.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen. Sometimes that means sitting down to a cup of coffee with someone. Sometimes that means earning the right to speak to them by shoveling the snow off their driveway. Other times it means confronting them in love. There are many ways to preach the Gospel and I do not see anywhere in Scripture where God demands one way as you do.

You say you preach in a language that the elderly can understand? Do you stand on a soapbox preaching to them from the hallway or their bedside? Do you seek to get to know them or just preach to them? I honestly see that you do not wish to actually get to know anyone, just throw words at them. That is sad.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I preach to the elderly I will preach in a nursing home, with a tract, or a one on one conversation. The Bible is quite clear on the principle of law to the proud and grace to the humble.

LAW TO THE PROUD

Lk 10:25-37
    MK 10:17-22

GRACE TO THE HUMBLE

JN 3:1-21

Paul also followed the principle of law before Grace. After warning that God would judge humanity by the moral law Romans 2:12. The law is written on the conscience of men v.15. Therefore when we do evangelism our evangelism must go towards the conscience rather than the intellect or the emotions. Modern evangelism often goes to the intellect or the emotions rather than the conscience. Satan will do all that he can to get Christians not to discover this secret key that has been lost over the years.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thiis a very bold statement. Let's see if you prove it.
    These are simply examples of how your theory works. They are not proofs, they are not stated principles, they are just examples of how Jesus did personal evangelism. He did it other times when He did not even mention the law. So you have not proved your point.
    Again, you have not proved your point. Rom. 2:12 is not talking specifically about evangelism, nor is verse 15. What tells us how to do evangelism? The Great Commission in Matt. 28, Mark 16, Luke 24, John 20 and Acts 1. You have not yet referred to any of these passages, so your theory of evangelism is unproven until you do. You have no warrant at all to say as you did, "People that disagree with this disagree with the Bible."

One thing you are missing here is that it is not us, it is the Holy Spirit who "convicts of sin, righteousness and judgment" (John 16:7-11). When we proclaim the Gospel that Christ died for our sins and rose again, the Holy Spirit does the work in the heart, not us. We may use various Scriptures as we give the Gospel, but we cannot convict of sin. Only the Holy Spirit can do that.

Again, the idea that if we disagree with your way we disagree with Scripture does not hold water when considering the book of Acts. Peter did not preach law on Pentecost (2:14-39). Peter did not preach law when the lame man was healed (3:12-26). Peter did not preach law to the Sanhedrin, yet they were "cut to the heart" (5:29-33). Paul did not specifically preach law when he witnessed cross-culturally on Mars Hill (17:22-31; he preached against idolatry, but not from the Law). Need I go on?