1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Shroud of Turin

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Alive in Christ, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peggy

Peggy New Member

In the book I read about the Shroud (sorry I can't remember its name) there is a tradition that the linen napkin that was around His face was also preserved.

Not sure what difference that would make in it's authenticity. However, if you were an apostle or one of the women who attended Jesus, would you save these clothes as something precious and proof of the empty tomb? It is certainly human nature to preseve the effects of those we love and not outside of the realm of possibility.

How can you explain the fact that the blood on the Shroud completely agrees with the wounds described to us in the Bible? Or that no one has ever been able to reproduce the image on the cloth?

We don't know if they wiped the worst of the blood off before he was placed in the tomb. My assumption would be that they did wash the body but blood from His many wounds still leaked out.

Have you heard of hyperbole? Exaggeration for effect? (Matt 5:29). Of course His dear face was the face of a Man.

Wounds on head - crown of thorns. Check.
    Beaten on the face - swelling appears on the forehead and cheekbones. Check.
    Wound in the side - Speared after His death. Check.
    Hundreds of wounds on back and legs - scourging. Check.

I watched the History Channel show, too, called "The Real Face of Jesus" and it is amazing to me no one can explain the image scientifically. And that 3-D imaging gives us a look at the face and body of the man of the Shroud so perfectly. If it wasn't the "real thing", how could 3-D imaging applied to the cloth create a 3-D image? If it was 2-D, then the image would be distorted. As it was, the image was rendered perfectly showing a 3-D person was wrapped in the Shroud.

I believe that the image on the Shroud was not made by human hands, but by the very Image of our dear Lord and Savior.

I think a lot of bias and skepticism about the Shroud is simply because it is in the custody of the RCC. Put that aside and really think and pray about whether or not it is genuine by using the facts and your faith.

#21 Peggy, Apr 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2010
  2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Although the Shroud is in the custody of the Catholic Church, the Vatican has never made any pronouncement that it is or isn't genuine. However, it has no doubt become an article of veneration for Christians of all stripes, just like the hem of Christ's garment in Matthew 14:6, or like Peter's shadow in Acts 5:15. Is the Shroud genuine? I don't think we will ever know.

3. RAdam

RAdam New Member

So you believe the bible exaggerated the sufferings of Christ?

When the bible says that His visage was marred more than any man and His form than the sons of men it didn't really mean it?

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Let me just answer this: You'd be amazed at what can be digitally to make a 2D image into a 3D image. Case in point: The new "Clash of the Titans" movie. It was shot in 2D and then digitally enhanced into a 3D product because the producers decided they wanted to jump on the 3D bandwagon after the film was shot. I've seen the 3D version. I wasn't impressed with most of it, but there were times when the enhancement was very, very good.

NEVER take a computer enhanced product as proof of ANYTHING. A half way decent artist will a full understanding of how a digital product such as Adobe CSE works (there are other products for film rather than photos) can create any image he wants. An uninformed observer will NOT be able to tell from looking at the image that it was not an actual photograph. It takes yet another expert, this one in computer forensics, to decipher what was actually done to the image. If you are looking at a printed copy of that image, there is no way that I know of to tell if it is "real" or if it is the product of someone's imagination.

You simply cannot accept any image today at face value.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then where is it?
    That's simple. The person who created this read the account of Jesus' crucifixion.
    Nothing hyperbolic about it. Reade Psalm 22.
    Again, the person who created this knew the details of Jesus' crucifixion.
    These are the same scientists that believe we came from a snot on a space rock and carbon dated a live moth showing the moth to be thousands of years old...you believe them?

Both Amy and Scarlett nailed it in their posts :thumbs:

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Here is an interesting link to the shroud with some additional recent information. (I too am a skeptic).

Complete article here:
    http://www.worthynews.com/top/teleg...669-Hitler-wanted-to-steal-Turin-Shroud-html/

7. Peggy

Peggy New Member

Where is the linen napkin? In Oviedo, Spain.

http://www.shroud.com/guscin.htm

Yet NO ONE can say HOW a person created the cloth. It just isn't possible using either modern or ancient methods.

I have read the Psalms and the prophecies of Jesus's crucifixion, and it believe they are in some cases hyperboles, or poetic exaggerations of Christ's appearance.

I believe people who have actually examined the Shroud for years and can come up with no explanation as to how it was created.

Curious, why wouldn't you believe it is genuine? Surely a God who created the universe in seven days and could come to earth born of a virgin could create a simple image on a cloth at His Resurrection.

I don't recall the exact book I read about the Shroud, but you could try this one:

"The Blood and the Shroud" by Ian Wilson.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0684855291/?tag=baptis04-20

Or you could check out the evidence on this website: shroud.com

#27 Peggy, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2010
  8. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Thank you for the links, Peggy. I wasn't aware that 'the napkin' still (possibly) existed.

9. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There's a shroud over Turin?

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

11. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

However, I found this comment posted by a defender of 'The Shroud' under this video.

"This video is full of bad, outdated information, all of which has been disproved by the STURP team. There is no paint whatsoever on the Shroud. Barry Schwortz, the photographer for the STURP team, says so, along with the scientists who have worked on it. The blood on the Shroud is not only blood, but it is human blood, type AB. Bilirubin levels on the Shroud are very high, indicating this man died a violent death. Thorny pollens found near the head are native only to Israel."

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you watch the video, there was no mention of paint in it. The comment is a red herring.

13. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I mean who cares? Its a waste of time and effort to even think about. We really know how to waste time on things like this shroud. So what if its Jesus'? So what if it isn't? Who cares?

14. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Did you watch it?? It clearly says it was either painted or rubbed. At .25 into the video it states this. It also says that 'pigment' was found on the shroud which is a false statement. The problem for many on this board is that the shroud is in the custody of the Catholic Church and ANYTHING connected with the Catholic Church is considered tainted and evil.

#34 lori4dogs, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2010
  15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

How are other people talking about this a waste of your time and effort?

When I was a senior in high school, I did a paper about the Shroud and, based on the information I found at the time (23 years ago), I leaned towards it being the real thing, but I wasn't 100% convinced. Now, I lean towards it not being real, but a very good forgery.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

An interesting question: Could Satan have put this shroud together to take the focus off of God? Wouldn't he love for man to worship an item rather than the Creator?

17. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

I have never heard of anyone 'worshiping' the shroud.

18. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't speak for annsni, but I will try.

I think she means people who are obsessed with the shroud as a holy relic and they consider this "proof" of what they believe and their faith.

The Bible says that faith is the evidence of things NOT seen.

It's kind of like those who have hunted for Noah's Ark (which in my opinion is rotted away to nothingness) - what would have happened if they put all of that time and energy into growing in Christ and reaching the lost?

God doesn't want people to have faith in His Son based on a relic or icon.

This obsession that some have with the shroud (not anyone on the BB, but people in general) is like the obsession that some people in Rome who to this very day climb the steps of the Scala Santa on their hands and knees and kiss the painting at the top and believe that their sins are forgiven.

Religious relics and icons from all religions of all the world come to embody the believer's faith - and it's very, very sad.

#38 Scarlett O., Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  19. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Oh come now, Scarlett. Your're a smart woman (even if you do like cats). You can't tell me that if you knew beyond any doubt the Shroud was the burial cloth of Jesus, that you wouldn't want to have it for yourself and keep it as close to you as possible. It would enhance, not detract from, your love of our Lord.

I'll tell you a personal story. There are no known photographs of my grandfather in existence, nor is there anything in existence he ever owned. He died before I was born. So imagine my exitement a few years back when I discovered a deed to a farm that he had written and signed when he was young. I treasure that document. It gives me a small window into his life and makes me feel closer to him.

I think that is the correct function of relics. They provide us with a connection to the owner of the object, and if the owner is Jesus, it draws us closer to Him. Isn't that a good thing?

20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I have several things from my deceased grandparents that I will never throw away and are very dear to me. An old horseshoe, a worn-down wedding band, a tea ring, some earrings with no matches, and cast-iron skillet with no handle. They are treasures to me.

But I don't need any tangible treasures from Jesus to feel close to Him. And I shouldn't rest my faith in the tangible. He IS my treasure.

To seek after divine relics and to use them to develop one's faith just doesn't set well with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.