1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Spirit or a spirit? Does it make a difference?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Jun 23, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

In Acts 2:38 Peter refers to "the gift of the Spirit", like most commentators and scholars, I take this as a genitive of apposition: the gift which is the Spirit. This is hardly treating the Spirit as a commodity.

There is nothing wrong if Paul speaks else of the provision of the Spirit, treating this as another genitive of apposition: the provision which is the Spirit.

Thought the Greek is the aorist subj. of didomi, "to give," does not in anyway mean that a person doesn't have the Spirit and needs to be given it. It is not an either/or. It is rather a fresh anointing of the Spirit to understand what God has in store for us, hence the subj. mood.

It is like Eph. 3:16 where we have hina + aorist subj., and Paul praying that the believers be given power, but note this power comes from the Spirit. This in no way means that they should be understood as spiritual weaklings. Paul was requesting a fresh anointing of the Spirit with power.

Then verse 17 begins with an aorist inf., whether we treat it as "purpose" or "result", we must ask this one question, Had Christ left their heart and therefore needed to return? Hardly the case.

I am sorry that someone else thinks this is a competition as to who presents the better argument. I am just grateful that you are engaging me in this healthy discussion.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My problem with this is that "supply" ("provision") is a rare word used only one other time in the NT (Eph. 4:16), and then it is used for "a ligament that gives support"--BAGD). So I see no linguistic warrant for using this for the Holy Spirit Himself. Rather, the Spirit is giving support.

I agree, it's been a very interesting discussion. Thanks for the interaction. I've probably made all my points, unless you want to discuss my observation that the more dynamic a translation is the more likely it is to translate as "Spirit."

God bless! :type: