1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The State Against Blacks

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Jan 23, 2011.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

If you are working hard all day and cannot make ends meet you need to find something else to do. You can sit in a hole and dig yourself deeper and work hard. But it may not be the thing you need to do.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

>The "serfs" in this case aren't just those trying to rely on the government. When people speak of the populace becoming "serfs", that generally includes the majority of the work force, including even many "professionals". (and of course, this already extends way beyond race by now). They work hard all day, and then can still hardly make ends meet. Some will blame this on the high cost of living, while others focus on high taxes and bad political policies. (And it doesn't have to be one or the other).

THIS TREND SEEMS TO PARALLEL LABOR UNIONS GOING OUT OF FAVOR. YOU ALL COMPLAIN ABOUT UNION WORKERS BEING OVER PAID BUT YOU DON'T RECOGNIZE YOURSELVES AS BEING UNDERPAID.

>So if the solution is all these "risks" and "ambition"; (and there are factors that affect this, such as personality type and opportunities such as people you know, inheritance, etc), then are superdriven people who only live to strive for the top the only ones who deserve a decent living?

YES, IT SEEMS THAT WAY UNDER REPUBLICAN ECONOMICS.

3. targus

targus New Member

Spoken like a government/union guy. :laugh:

Those who succeed are either just lucky or overly ambitious. :rolleyes:

4. targus

targus New Member

I would NEVER join a union...

...don't want a pay cut and don't want to be limited in what I can accomplish.

5. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Again, it's not ALL one way or the other. (That tends to be the way you paint these things). Some success is from genuine ambition. Some is from overboard ambition (stepping on others, dirty dealing, knowing the right people, striving to the extent of burning yourself out and neglecting family, etc.).
    Some failure is from lack of ambition. Some is from the state of the economy and market.

You're the onw who made a very general statement of why people succeed and fail, but as I said; it is not that cut and dry.

6. targus

targus New Member

Some may be down for a short time due to things like the state of the economy or the market - but not for long.

And certainly not for generation after generation after generation.

I was born on a farm - to a family of twelve kids - and went off to the inner city of Detroit to go to school. I put myself through college twice - working the worst imaginable jobs.

I would never have gotten where I am with an attitude like yours.

Oops... sorry - I forgot that I was merely "lucky".

7. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

So you completely missed "Some success is from genuine ambition".
    Again, my statements are not as general as yours.

I'm not denying that there might be people floundering "generation after generation after generation" (and even that isn't always as simple as that; it's hard to get out of that cycle), but your earlier statement made it sound like that was the cause of all struggle, not even counting a time period.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

>I was born on a farm - to a family of twelve kids

How did the other eleven turn out?

9. targus

targus New Member

Some better than others.

Two died in early childhood.

Three went into the military.

One ended up with a union job working for the city.

Three married and became stay at home moms.

One also put himself through college as an adult and now has a good non-union job.

One has six or seven kids by five or six different baby daddies and has lived on welfare her whole adult life. She resurfaces every couple of decades when she wants something. Otherwise she moves around from one government subsidized housing project to the next and we never know where she is. The longest relationship that she had with a guy was when her boyfriend went to prision for murdering his wife with a hammer. I doubt that she has ever had a job.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

TODAY, on BaptistBoard LIVE....

Long-lost brothers Targus and Billwald re-unite after nearly 40 years apart!

Later, dwarfs that drive monster trucks propose to their six-foot girlfriends while juggling chainsaws....

(cue music)

11. billwald

billwald New Member

We grow up thinking that our own family is normal and other families are strange. Old age has convinced me that every family is weird in its own way.

By "Christian" standards, every family detailed in the Bible was a failure. At one point, we know that Jesus' family though he was nuts.