1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Trinity

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Judith, Jan 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly believe in the Trinity. It is most certainly scriptural.
    I most emphatically do not believe that the Comma Johanneum was in the original Scripture. It was added. It is spurious. Maurice Robinson who supports the Byzantine Textform has said he clearly rejects it. There are a number of other places in the Scriptures that testify of the Trinity.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A person who does not accept/believe the triune godhead is a heretic and will find themselves off the BB quickly.

Assume some "humor" involved since the word trinity does not appear in Scripture. If the poster is serious, "Good-bye".

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Dr. Bob, although I won't speak "entirely" for him, I honestly think that was precisely his point. That being that the word "trinity" is no where to be found in scripture, but alas the "concept" is.

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

100% agreed. Looks as if we have at least two who do not accept this truth.

5. quantumfaith

Please enlighten us.....who......Please tell us.

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Either you are ignorant of the meaning of trinity or you do not believe Scripture.

Trinity: a group of three; triad. The state of being threefold or triple.

1 John 5:7. For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

I don't claim to understand the how of the Triune nature of God but I can believe what Scripture tells me. And there is abundant Scripture that teaches the Triune nature of God.

In my opinion denying the Trinity is, in effect, denying the Deity of Jesus Christ which is heretical. Jesus Christ said: John 10:30. I and my Father are one. Do you believe what Jesus Christ said or deny that He was One with God the Father. Scripture is also abundantly clear that the Person of the Holy Spirit is distinct from that of God the Father and God the Son.

I would suggest that those who are confused about the Doctrine of the Trinity take advantage of a book, The Trinity, by Edward Henry Bickersteth!

7. OldRegular

It appears that you and prophet do not believe in the Triune Nature of God. And I agree with Dr. Bob on this issue.

8. preacher4truth

To the bolded, it could be both. To the balance of your post -- :thumbs:

9. OldRegular

Enlighten me. Just what is the Comma Johanneum?

10. preacher4truth

Interestingly after being exposed the attempt to mop up the mess after a Biblical warning from Dr. Bob -- but we know what is believed -- the cat was already out of the bag.

11. quantumfaith

Pure "bupkus" OR and YOU know it.

12. OldRegular

Why in the world "alas"?

a·las: (used as an exclamation to express sorrow, grief, pity, concern, or apprehension of evil.)

I thank God that His Triune nature is taught in Scripture!

13. OldRegular

I find it hard to believe but I just read what you post. Certainly your "alas" is disturbing as is your thumbs up to prophet!

As I have noted more than once on this thread I do not understand the "how" of the Trinity but I believe it is clearly taught in Scripture.

14. quantumfaith

I think you KNOW, as I percieved, the point that prophet was making, I agree with, that the WORD "trinity" is not to found in scripture.....but the concept of God as a triune god is.

If you have doubts, ask him. As for me asked and answered.

15. preacher4truth

I seriously doubt we'd be seeing this doctrinal mop up going on if Dr. Bob hadn't stepped in with a warning. :sleep:

16. quantumfaith

You are ABSOLUTELY childish.

17. Archie the Preacher

Understanding the Trinity

The video is rather telling, isn't it?

Here are two purported 'simple men' who request an explanation that is simple and with 'none of your fancy education'; an 'analogy' they desire. Then, when an analogy is given, the two quote ancient councils and writings, labeling each analogy heretical. Obviously, the two do not want to actually understand anything, they merely want to find fault and criticize another for actually thinking. Where has anyone heard that sort of thing before?

We do need some grasp of the matter just so we can go on with our Christian lives. Perhaps a 'mere grasp' is all we'll ever get.

However, for those among us who know a bit of physics, scientists find a similar problem (and I find a similar unknown) with the common, ordinary, garden-variety photon. The short version is, measured in one manner, the photon displays itself as a 'particle'. Measured in another manner, the photon displays itself as a 'wave function'. (For the non-physicists, this is a 'contradictory' finding.) But there it is and cannot be disregarded.

God is Three, but One. Some of the analogies are useful - AS LONG AS the hearer understands all analogies are limited; only a 'glimpse' of the reality and not the total explanation of the reality.

I also find it rather less than useful to have some Pharisee with the 'step-mother look' wagging a finger at every turn. Of course, if they couldn't disapprove, they couldn't feel superior, could they?

18. thisnumbersdisconnected

Thank you for bringing some adulthood to a heretofore childishly out-of-control thread. :thumbsup:

As for the video, the advise given to just accept it without trying to explain it -- because we cannot hope to grasp the intimate higher thoughts of God -- could be applied to a great many doctrines that go through this board badly explained, poorly represented, or are, in actuality, just plain wrong.

#38 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
  19. quantumfaith

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

20. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In reading over the thread there seems to be some confusion about the passage in 1John 5:7
    For there are three that bear record in heaven. The Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these Three are One.

When two people marry they are said to be "one flesh" in scripture (Gen 2:24, Mark 10:8), yet we all know there is two persons. So I see no problem that there is three persons that are one which we call the Trinity constituting one God.
    We do know of how the Godhead works in part from scripture even if not fully understood.

#40 Judith, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.