1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The U In The TULIP Doctrine

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by tyndale1946, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Nelson

Nelson Guest

1 Cor. 8:2...nuf' said.

2. JAMES2

JAMES2 New Member

Nelson:
    Wow, what a cogent response!!!! I guess that means you have no answers to the questions asked of you?

[ March 04, 2002, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: JAMES2 ]

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Corinthians 8:2 And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

3 But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

You are absolutely right Nelson... If we claim we know anything at all it is only by Gods grace and mercy that we do. He is the one that instructs and teaches all his children in his ways, those that he will allow us to see. If he doesn't do the teaching than we are blind, deaf, and dumb and can't please him at all. We all seek the answers to these many questions not to be children of God but because we are already.

Why would we even concern ourselves about the things of Christ, if we didn't already belong to him? His sheep are his sheep and cannot ever be removed from the shepherd. He owns them because he bought them with his own sinless blood and they are the sheep of his pasture.

You are of your fathers blood and your father somewhere down the road may disown you but no one can say you are not his son because his blood says you are. The same with our heavenly Father we are of his blood and no matter who may accuse us and say we are not Gods child, his blood cries out and calls them a liar. He brought you and he owns you and nothing can separate you from that love and all its benefits here and in the world to come!

Romans 8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord... What more needs to be said!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

4. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

A person can accept Christ and not understand the things of God. and in fact most in that stage dont, but then when they receive him, then they begin to gain the spiritual discernment described, so this cannot be used to prove the "they must be regenerated first in order to believe" theory (which would actually render faith moot).

What does this have to do with choice of salvation. Your supposed non-elect who have no free will to believe (because they are not "sustained", right?) still exist.

Once again, the Calvinist assumes the non-Calvinist is just trying/"refusing to give up" being "the captain of his ship". Some nominals may be that way, but this assertion is made up as a straw man to prove Calvinism. The reason most of us dispute Calvinism is because of it's implications regarding the nature of God in respect to the non-elect. That is the issue, not anyone saving themselves. Romans 9, as it has been proven is not even talking about some people made to be destroyed in Hell, so we are not "ignoring" it.

But to be consistent, if what you are saying is true about people thinking they are saving themselves, then that is not saving faith, and they are in more than error, they are still lost in their sins!

5. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We who believe in the doctrine taught in the Holy Bible are accused by others that say our God is unjust. God would never send anyone to hell! The doctrine of Unconditional Election is the word of God weather we want to believe it or not. If we don't believe it does that mean we are not his elect?... Not only is that an ignorant question but completely absurd and illogical. Gods children will always be his children.

Those who are not his children will never be his children and are not even considered. The Holy Bible is written to the child of God and no one else. The instructions contained therein are for his children and his children only. Not only is it a book of instructions it is also a book of promise.

Why would you even be here discussing those things that are spiritual if you didn't belong to God? What reason would there be? There may be many here who don't see the doctrine of Unconditional Electional and that is ok with me as any doctrine, ritual or various trappings of religion will not save you eternally. If its not the sinless blood of Jesus Christ then we are all on the hellbound express.

Unconditional Election makes this biblical statement from the chambers of eternity we were ALL on the hellbound express. God seeing the end from the beginning and those things not yet done saying my counsel shall stand and I will do all my pleasure. Took those out from among the sons and daughters of Adam a specific people... who no man could number... Not according to anything they would do in time... Because according to Isaiah... All mans righteousness is as filthy rags... He chose them and he saved them!
    The question is not why did he pass those by that were not of the elect... The question is why did he choose those he did!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

6. JAMES2

JAMES2 New Member

You are right in the sense that a person may not understand the more doctrinal things of God, but you still haven't answered the question. What makes some "accept" salvation and others, with the same offer, according to you, not "accept." Was it because you were superior, or you had something to boast about, or you read the bible, or you were just more holy and the other person lacked all those things? Of course not!!!
    If God does not give the supernatural gift of Regeneration, you would not only not understand ANYTHING about God, you would be totally unable, of yourself, to even WANT to "accept" God
    Regeneration would make faith moot? What!!!! Regeneration, being born again, is where you receive the free GIFT of faith. Where do you find that being born again renders Justification by faith moot!!! When you are justified your whole standing with Gods changes. You go from being a condemned criminal (sinner) being a declared a child of God. It is a one time change of status. Then the righteousness of Christ is imputed to you. First regeneration, then justification. Faith most certainly is not made moot. It is GIVEN to you as a free gift.
    You ask what God sustaining us has to do with salvation? I was talking more about the sheer nonsense of talking about free-will. Without God, you couldn't even breath or live. No captain of your ship, etc here. God turns his head (so to speak) and you go out of existence, no matter what you will or don't will.
    Excuse me!!! So you are saying that you can't have saving faith unless you save yourself? Wrong, if that's what you mean. You do NOT save yourself, and you do not believe savingly, unless you have been regenerated, and then GIVEN the gift of faith. Remember, Paul says that faith is a free gift, so that you can't boast. If all your friends did not accepet Jesus even tho they had the offer given to them, and you did "accept" Jesus, then you most certainly would have something to BOAST about.
    I'm not speaking of you personally now, because I's sure you are a brother in Christ, but I'm finding this whole endeavor of trying to explain the DOCTRINES of the bible ending up to be an execise in futility. It's probably my fault but I giving up trying.
    James2

7. Nelson

Nelson Guest

Agreed.

I'm reminded alot about The Truman Show movie and how Truman (as far as I understood the movie) rebelled against the minutely controlled and preordained life.

Eric has hit the main problem with Calvinism/Reformed belief in a nutshell.

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The problem here though is that you are still drawing invalid implications. You have decided what those implications are without benefit of biblical reasoning. You appear to continue to accept what Scripture says about the nature of God. You are still asserting your mind as superior to revelation. When Scripture speaks, we should let it say what it does.

9. Nelson

Nelson Guest

With all due respect, allow my take here:

1. Larry is setting up Calvinistic/Reformed teachings as an assumed an infallible truth, far above criticism, in much the same way that Jehovah Witnesses view their teachings.
    2. Larry's method of Biblical reasoning is determined by and confined to the Calvinistic tradition.
    3. Larry asserts Calvinistic/Reformed tradition as "superior to revelation."
    4. As far as what Scriptures "says," from my vantage point, it obviously does not say "Calvinism" or "Reformed."

What would have been proper for Larry to do is offer comments regarding my comparison of Calvinism with The Truman Show and leave it at that rather than - as usual - make baseless criticism on my approach to the Bible with the implication that I am arrogant.

If he saw me drawing erroneous conclusions, he should state what they are and how they are invalid.

If he felt I lacked correct "biblical reasoning," he should point specifically where and how.

If he concludes that I display an attitude of "mind as superior to revelation," he should show where and how.

If he feels I am not taking Scripture for what it says, again, show specifically where and how.

An objection to a post should not be answered so vaguely and so far off the specific topic of discussion.

From this point on, I will only answer Larry's post if it is directly related to the subject of discussion. Any further comments that veer off and are vague or merely discuss my person will be ignored.

10. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is just a philosophical question that is not even addressed in scripture (why one chooses one way compared to another). The Bible tells us to give the Gospel to all, and that's it. Some will choose, others won't. Nothing about "those who don't were decreed to be lost". If you want to talk about someone being "more holy", isn't the person who was eternally decreed to be saved not not really lost to begin with, and therefore better than those created to die in their sins? (even though it is claimed "not because of anything in themselves)
    In connection with this;
    Here is another common error. Faith is not the gift, in Col.2:8, it is the MEANS. Salvation is the gift received by grace THROUGH faith. But if regeneration was independant of faith, it would be moot, because the person wouldn't be excercising faith, he would just be reprogrammed like a computer, and faith wouldn't be saving, because one is already saved before he "receives" it.
    Also, I never said one saves one's self. I was actually rejecting the charge that receiving an offer of salvation was saving one's self.
    I've never found that anything to boast about. I was another sinner just like everyone else, yet now I've found how to receive eternal life. The point is not that I found it, but that my mission is to see to it that others find it as well. Here's something that just dawned on me. If all we are doing is just trying to boast and be better than the lost, then why would we be so concerned about the idea of them having no chance to escape Hell. (We would be happy that God chose US over those poor dogs). This is the issue, not the straw man of some supposed "boasting".

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

12. Nelson

Nelson Guest

With all due respect, in no place can it be shown where I have personally attacked anyone on this post, including Larry.

Larry's continued accusations are baseless. Anyone reviewing our past exchanges will find that all my objections have been with respect to what has been said, and nowhere do I attack character either explicitly or implicitly.

If I have criticized someone's character, a quote should be provided as evidence, otherwise, it is baseless.

In the Christian community, the difficult task of showing charity is like a pendulum.

P.S. I know what you mean by Jim Carey movies being obnoxious but this one is an exception. It is cleanly made and, believe it or not, is very thought provoking and challanging. Try it on video and if you do see it, you can Email your thoughts on it to me.

P.P.S. If you hate the movie, since it was on my advise, I'll transfer funds to your Swiss bank account to refund your movie rental expenses. Can't lose!

[ March 06, 2002, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Nelson ]

13. JAMES2

JAMES2 New Member

Eric:
    I ask a simple, plain question and the best you can do is say it is philosophical? Please!!!! The free offer of the gospel is to made to everyone. Some accept and others don't. I ask you why YOU accepted and others, with the same offer did not. You reply, because, some choose and some don't.
    This is going nowhere. The REASON you accepted and the others did not is because God REGENERATED you, then you were given saving faith, then you believed. Ordained, then believed. Act. 13:48. Scripture after scripture. It is hopeless.
    Can't people boast you say, because they were chosen before the foundation of the world for salvation? No, they can't. Boast about what? There salvation had NOTHING to do with them. I thank God every day for showing His mercy to me. If it had been up to be to "accept" Jesus I would be headed to hell.
    Eric, I know you are sincere, saved, etc. but sit down, set aside the concept that man can save himself, which would make Christianity no different than any other religion of the world, and read prayfully read John 10, Romans 9 and Eph. chapter 1 and 2. If you still believe, after reading those texts of scripture that man is the one who decides to "accept" salvation or reject it, so be it. I can't say anymore. I leave it up to the Holy Spirit to show you.

You "found how to receive salvation" and now you have a mission to show others how to "find it." Same problem, different words. How did you receive it or find it and the others did not. Just because I suppose?
    No more posting for me. I've found out after almost 500 posts that is is a complete waste of time. No matter how many scriptures quoted, no matter what, people will cling to their ways. So you believe that man saves, and I will believe that God saves.
    Have a great day
    James2

[ March 06, 2002, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: JAMES2 ]

14. Nelson

Nelson Guest

15. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

In other words, such a question has no meaning except to try to prove a preconceived interpretation of scripture. I don't think I am any better than anyone and I do believe God reached out to me in a way He may have not reached out to others to open my mind to His truth, but to say that all the others were decreed to continue in darkness unto destruction is adding way too much to the scripture.

And you continue to use the "man saving himself" cliche even though that has been denied as a phony straw man.
    The three passages you mentioned have been discussed elsewhere. We do not believe they teach your position as clearly as you think they do, and Romans 9 is the most glaring example of changing the context from a group to individuals. The other two passages as well can be understood the same way, and even if you don't agree, you should acknowledge that it is a possible meaning and stop accusing people of ignoring the passages and wanting to believe that man saves himself.

16. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jeremiah 31:31-35 and Hebrews 8:8-13 States that God does all the work! Man is passive because according to the book of Ephesian he is dead! You hath he quickened who were dead in trespasses and in sin. How can you offer anything to a dead man?... Brother Glen :confused:

17. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

No one that I ever have heard of believes than any person can save themselves as far as eternal salvation. No one has anything to bring to God but his or her sins. Believing and trusing in Jesus decrees our pardon in His eyes. There is not one cintilla of good in a person that commends them to Almighty God.

God told Isaiah to pen these words, 'Look unto Me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth.'
    The Lord only requires of us to look at Him and believe and or trust in Him. By doing this a person has not contributed to his or her salvation. God does the saving work in our hearts. We all know that without faith it is impossible to please God. We are told by the author of the Hebrew epistle that 'anyone coming to God must believe that He is, and that He is the rewarder of those who diligently seek Him' [Heb. 11:6]. There is no strong armed irresistible grace here. Jesus is telling sinners that it is their responsibility to BELIEVE in His saving benefits procurred at the Cross, and that sinners are strongly admonished to search for Him with all their ability.

Humankind has intelligence, which is God given, and a freedom of choice to receive the Son or to ignore the grace so richly offered to everyone. [I John 2:2]

I heard Mr. Camping a few days ago trying to defend Irressistible Grace and He said when God wants you He will bring you in 'even if you are kicking and flogging.' His unbiblical argument does not dovetail with the verses in this next paragraph.

The Israelites in Acts 7:51 apparently were successful in flaunting their human will against Almighty God. Also, note [John 5:40 & Isaiah 48:4].

Respectfully,

Ray

18. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would it be necessary to those who he has already changed their heart according to Jeremiah 31:31-35 to be given a choice. Show me the part of scripture that says there is that choice.

Camping has no right to speak of Irresistible Grace in this manner as God makes each token of his grace a willing recipient. I've never read in scripture or seen in my walk with the Lord, him dragging anyone kicking and flogging into Irresistible Grace!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

19. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Tyndale1946,

You posed an excellent question.

God's plan by way of the former covenant {Abrahamic & Mosaic} had only a limited success because of the hardness of the Israelite's hearts. In Jeremiah 31:31-34 the prophet is foretelling of ‘a new covenant' that He is going to make with the Israelite nation. During the Abrahamic and Mosaic Covenants God wrote the Commandments in stone and they had to obey them or else. Under this future ‘new covenant' He tell the Israelites that He is going to ‘put the law in their hearts . . . ' This spoken of ‘new covenant' has not yet been introduced. You might ask how do you know? The reason is because the Israelites 99% of them are very antagonistic to you if you try to witness to them about personal salvation through Jesus.

Verse 34 of Jeremiah 31 tells us of a day {in the future} when it will not be necessary to teach anyone or to say, ‘do you know the Lord' because all will know Him for the least to the greatest, and Christ will forgive them their sins and those violations of His Law will be remembered no longer.

Here is a truth that I did not know until I was working on my dissertation.

In Hebrews 8 you will find not only the Old Covenant and the New Covenant that we are living under since the Cross, but a future covenant that God is going to make with His people during the 1,000 year reign of Christ on the earth.

Watch this very carefully. In Hebrews 8:7 God speaks of His ‘first covenant;' I think you will heartily agree with me that this was the Abrahamic Covenant.

In verse 7 also--He refers to a ‘second covenant.' I am rather sure that you will concur with me that this was the Covenant of Grace. This covenant was instituted from the Cross on until this present day. This destroys the ‘one O.T. & N.T. church theory.' The Old Covenant was ineffectual with regard to the Israelites, so God instituted another covenant, ‘established on better promises.'

Now watch this very closely and I would like if you would research this for yourself.

Now God speaking through the writer of the Book of Hebrews says, in effect, I will find fault with both of these covenants. In Biblical words, ‘For finding fault with THEM . . . ' The Old Covenant and the New Covenant of grace one day will be terminated, because God is saying that these covenants will have served His sovereign purpose.

Remember, He has told us that at a future time He will have found fault with THEM. Is this the end of His covenant making? No. Now He is going to make a covenant with the Israelites again.
    The reason we know that it will be made with Israel predominately, is because He says in verse 8 ‘Behold, in those days, saith the Lord, I will make a new covenant with the House of Israel and with the House of Judah.' Now comes in your verses from Jeremiah 31:31-34. You will clearly note that the writer of Hebrews uses the same words as the Prophet Jeremiah. This covenant during the Kingdom Age {1,000 year reign of Christ on the earth} will by then be in force. In this future time no one will have to teach his neighbor the things of the Lord, neither will they have to say, ‘Do you know the Lord.' [Romans 11:26] The Deliverer will be the Messiah who will have returned to earth at His Second Coming. [11:26] Christ will Rule in Majesty and will have the Israelites living well pleasing unto Him at last. [Zechariah 14:17]. No time in human history has Christ ever ruled as Sovereign from the city of Jerusalem; in the Kingdom Age this will have been a fulfillment of prophecy.

There are three covenants in Hebrews chapter eight.

Let me know what emerges from your research.

I almost forgot your two part question. The human will that is active in the reception of Christ's salvation takes place when anyone believes and trusts in Him as their only hope of everlasting life. That's why we preach; for a response to Christ's call to the covenant of grace.

Respectfully,

Ray

20. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats all fine and dandy Ray but the crux of the matter is there are no outward Jews anymore only inward ones... The Jews I'm speaking of are not natural born Jews but spiritually born Jews... And the spiritual born Jews are the elect children of God!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

[ March 08, 2002, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]